THE PLA ARE AT IT NOW !!

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Interesting article about Eel Pie Island HERE.

They quote no figures so we dont know what the level of charges or increase is.

However, much like the non tidal Thames, there are many users and 'enjoyers' of the river but its easy to demand income from recognised and easily targetted groups. Who decides on what proportion or charge should be levied? Clearly such income is the result of an arbitrary decision that can have no accuracy in terms of a proportion of the total costs involved. Its much ,more a case of 'We can identify these people, demonstrate that they have a clear benefit/association from/with the river therefore we will demand they pay £xxx.

If any of these 'user' groups did not exist the maintenance costs of the river would continue to be necessary - is anyone going to tell me that the river would be allowed to rot if there were no boats on it? The Thames is a national asset and needs national funding. People who visit the river enjoy watching the boats but pay no contribution except via taxes which we also pay.

Suspect this argument wiill never go away.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Ducking and running for cover as I say this....
The PLA is fully entitled to get more money from people enjoying the expensive facilities they maintain. The PLA is in my eyes an efficiently run self financing organisation, why should only commercial users pay?
There again, being a radical, I wonder why pleasure boaters get to use the bouyage system throughout the British Isles yet pay nothing in Light Dues.

Bilgediver

Visit site
There again, being a radical, I wonder why pleasure boaters get to use the bouyage system throughout the British Isles yet pay nothing in Light Dues.

.......................................................................................

SSSSSSSSSSSsssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Don t remind them or they will clobber us with this as well as the costs for using the radio spectrum for our radars and VHF..

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

savageseadog

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Firstly pleasure boaters pay a colossal amount of tax as a proportion of their boating expenditure. Secondly the expenditure is at least in the UK instead of being spend abroad. Thirdly a great deal if not all buoyage is totally unnecessary for pleasure boats.

kds

www.canongrange.co.uk
"yet pay nothing in Light Dues"

How did you manage that ?
The rest of us pay taxes - we are a maritime nation - what should it be spent on - airports ??
Ken

oldgit

Visit site
Don t remind them or they will clobber us with this as well as the costs for using the radio spectrum for our radars and VHF..
If you are paying for a VHF radio licence you are doing something wrong