The Law of Tonnage

Refueler

Visit site
Some the US Tug boys are downright crazy !! but this guy in the video - I have great respect for.

His point about not adhering hard and fast to rules is one that is well worth considering ... it comes down to Prudent Seamanship.

I've posted before about examination question I had for my Deck Officers Certificate .... and illustrates it well :

DTI Examiner : You are proceeding along open sea ... reasonable visibility .... let say your are proceeding North, you see another vessel on port bow in distance proceeding East. You note its a tug and tow but its not showing restricted signals. What do you do ?

Me : I take compass bearing at intervals to determine if risk of collision exists and whether we will pass clear of each other.

DTI Ex : OK - it appears from your bearings that a close 1/4's situation exists - what do you do ?

Me : Technically because he's not showing any restricted signals - I am the stand on vessel and he should turn to stbd to pass down my port side. BUT to be honest with respect to prudent seamanship - because its far easier for me to turn than him with a tow - I would make a large alteration to port sounding 1 blast Sorry ... typing too quick !! 2 blasts - that he can see clearly I am going to pass astern of his two letting him proceed.

DTI Ex : Very good. thank you - I agree its much easier for you. Next question ....

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
Refueler altered to port with One Blast :I would have failed you!!

OOOPS !! typing too quick and mind not on job !! Corrected.

Lets be honest - if I actually did make sound signals at open sea for each alteration of course for another vessel - Old Man would be on bridge faster than a rabbit gets f*****d..... wondering what's going on !!

Last edited:

Ashman

Visit site
Excellent and useful video. Great to see it from the commercial skipper‘s perspective. Will look out for more of his video’s........we’ve made two recent trips up and down the US eastern seaboard / ICW and wish I’d seen this first.

GHA

Visit site
Despite what he said at the start isn't that all covered in the irpcs?
Good reminder though, imho, to keep an eye on the big picture and not get transfixed on what a few words in one particular rule says.

'..... due regard shall be had to all dangers of navigation and collision and to any special circumstances, including the limitations of the vessels involved, which may make a departure from these rules necessary.......'

Last edited:

requiem

Visit site

Pretty much. Keeping a look out? Rule 5. Keeping out of the way in narrow channels? Rule 9.

Only problem is, there's an awfully large number of people who know little beyond some variation of "sail over steam".

pagoda

Visit site
Good to see a commercial skipper echo on his scale what I apply from a standpoint of mainly self preservation. Just keep out the way of big stuff.....

rotrax

Visit site
At least the French can cook something more enticing than a burger and fries.

It may be a shock to you, but wonderful food CAN be found in the USA.

Some years ago near Holywood - the Miami one - we found an old traditional dining car called the Gourmet Diner. The food was very good. The bread, for the USA, was exceptional.

I asked the waitress who told me " Yeah - we cant find the sort of bread we like to serve around her. This comes in overnight in frozen form direct from Spain. We thaw it and bake it in house every day! "

First Mate is known as the Shrimp Queen - she would eat good shrimp at every meal if she could get it, and has eaten shrimp/large prawns all over the world from fine dining to roadside shacks.

The best ever - and I fully agree - is from Annie's Cafe in Cedar Key, Florida.

Had fine dining in Springfield, Illonois on more than one occasion, the equal of anything I can find in Oxfordshire short of Le Manoir au Quat Saisons - which I cant afford these days.

Also had some appalling food in France, and was treated like shit as well......................................

And as for the OP and video, good stuff.

Refueler

Visit site
Good reminder though, imho, to keep an eye on the big picture and not get transfixed on what a few words in one particular rule says.

'..... due regard shall be had to all dangers of navigation and collision and to any special circumstances, including the limitations of the vessels involved, which may make a departure from these rules necessary.......'

Trouble is too often can be seen from the verbatim quoters on forums like this - such is ignored or forgotten ...

Wasn't so long ago this forum was full of Power gives Way to Sail posts taken to extremes. I'd cut and paste - but my account was deleted back in the past after a tussle with a member who thought it good to fill his post with vile language ...