The Good Bad And Ugly Of Trailor Boating!!

hlb

RIP
Visit site
We used to go trailor boating, which is probably why we now have a P35 for good and bad reasons.
It was an American Imperial Cuddy, 22ft 8' 6'' beam. V8 5 Ltre. It looked like the Qe2 when we saw it in the Birmingham boat show. It was built nearly as well as a binliner which was probably the reason why they'd gone bust some time before we bought it from what turned out to be this shady character with a boat sales place only about ten miles from home. Well we took it to Windermere and emmediatly smashed the prop on some rocks whilst in the mean time son wrapped the trailor round this blokes car. The new prop was just a bit bigger than we wanted but better than nothing. That night it rained. Which highlighted all the holes in the window screen and covers which we were sat under while Tutts was endevering to make bacon and eggs for four on a little meths camping stove, perched over the petrol tank. Duering the first day we had discovered that with the boats 20 gallon fuel tank it meant that we only had about an hour to mess about, before spending the rest of the day hunting fuel. Many times this involved putting the boat back on the trailor and round to the local garage.

Took the boat for it's first service and met the boat sales boss who was sat in his office at 10 am with a bottle of whiskey in his hand! On picking the boat up latter, informed that they'd Cleaned the spark plugs cos they could not get at anything!! Volvo informed us that the three year engine warranty was now invalid as the bloke was not a Volvo agent.

So now armed with loads and loads of one gallon fuel cans stuffed in every spare corner and realising that it was not exactly four berth as we had thought. Mainly due to the rain coming in everywhere, we set about our adventures. Cuningly planned with Hotel / Caravan / cottage rent in the vasinity. This led to loads of twoing and frowing back and fourth with loads of gear and putting covers on and off and on again. Also countless excursions to garage for juice.

We discovered Lough Lomond where it rains nearly all the time and can get quite rough. Theres a grotty town at one end a hotel in the middle of nowhere half way up with it's own harbour, trying to compete with Fawty Towers for the next series. About this time, where ever we went, folk kept asking and ringing me fro all over the country. Had I bought the boat from X and what colour was it. Very suspicious!
Went to Troon and visited loads of the west coast of Scotland. Even took a scenic taxi ride round Arran. For the fuel of course. Also discovered the cowboys on Great Cumbrai.
Then learnt all about navigation from Pool to Solent, with chart and fag packet to find compass course. Nearly missed Pool completly on the way back, when it started to get quite rough. On the way to the Solent. The propelor started to fall off, so had to call into Yarmouth and hauled out for repair.
In Pwhelli once. And this is when you wished there were two of you. Backed the Trooper and boat down the slip way, got it nice and straight and just before I had to step out into water. Got in boat and told Tutts to just back straight into water for a few feet. So she put full lock on, backed the trailor over the side of the slipway, depositing me and the boat in the water with a big splosh!!
We had loads of fun, so much so that we sold it and bought a P33................../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>
smiling.gif
Haydn<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by hlb on 24/03/2003 11:08 (server time).</FONT></P>

G

Now, the most fun day of trailboating was the bright spring morning I decided to take the boat up to an engine place in Abingdon, to have something done to the carbs on our rather rattly 60hp outboard, which refused to run above idle... The boat was a Fletcher 127, all of 12 and a half feet long.

It all went splendidly, until I began to hear and feel something odd on the A34. As I was just approaching Abingdon anyway, I stopped in the first quiet side street I got to. The jockey wheel had worked loose, and wound down until it had hit the road, whereupon it had bent badly. So, I wound it up, clamped it tightly, and realised I was in a very narrow cul-de-sac...

I unhitched, turned the car round, then walked the trailer round and reconnected. The safety tether on the brake was rusted, and a bugger to get on, so I left it, as I only had a mile or so to go. Half a mile up the road, and the jockey wheel was playing up again. It wouldn't wind all the way up, owing to being bent at the bottom.

I managed to get the rig in to a small industrial estate, where I decided to straighten the jockey wheel. Now, for some reason, I decided to do this by some complicated arrangement (seemed OK at the time) that involved backing the car over part of it. Predicatbly, it failed. The jockey wheel jumped up and smashed the rear light cluster on the car, and the sudden loss of resistance meant the car shot back, knocking the trailer backwards into a wall, snapping the skeg off the outboard.

Undaunted, I put the jockey back on, and carried on.

Unfortunately, the jolting caused by the jockey hitting the tarmac on the A34 had damaged the trailer hitch. This decided to manifest itself by jumping off the towball at 30mph crossing Abingdon Bridge. Suddenly, the boat was slowing down in the rearview mirror, trundling along on three wheels. Straight towards a group of tourists, looking over the parapet taking pictures.

Fortunately, the jockey wheel bounced off the kerb, sending the trailer off into the path of the onoming traffic. The thing was now on the downslope from the bridge, and accelerating nicely towards an oncoming car. A bit of emergency braking, and I managed to prevent the collision by having the trailer run into the back of my car. Mmmmm, bonus!

Unfortunately, the impact sent the boat flying forward on the bunks by 18", causing the transom to drop off the last keel roller. The boat was now completely stuck on the trailer, with the winch post bent, and the boat reared up at about a 20 degree angle. There was also about 200lbs of noseweight on the hitch. Which made getting it reconnected amusing.

Fortunately, there is a swindlery and slipway just over the bridge, so I pulled in there, and asked if I could use the slip to float the boat off, and then recover it properly. Predictably, I had no bung, so I had to rummage through the bins looking for a cork from a wine bottle.

Unfortunately, no-one had told me that the slip was short, steep, and had a wicked step at the end. To the extent that as I backed down, the trailer literally dropped from under the boat, sending the boat gliding out to the middle of the Thames. Then I realised that the slip was too narrow to open the car doors (brick walls either side).

Fortunately, having climbed out through the window, I discovered that the trailer was still attached to the car, albeit with the drawbar going down nearly vertically into the water. Even better, the boat was still attached to the trailer by the winch strap. This took some figuring out, since the winch post was completely submerged, and the strap just appeared out of the water, several feet out into the river. So I got back in, and dragged the trailer partway out, and winched the boat back to the trailer.

Unfortunately, the slipway was too steep, covered in leaves, and the trailer wheels were over the step at the bottom, so nothing much was going to happen until I located the owner of the tractor nearby...

Anyway, three hours late, I arrived at the boatyard, where the man took one look at the engine, and promptly replaced the fuel line, which had a minute split in it. Cost: £5.99

Ah, I love trailers.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Observer

Visit site
Brilliant story -

it must make Happy feel much better about his minor disasters and makes his decision to take a marina berth look eminently sensible.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Re: Brilliant story -

And then there was the time a friend got overtaken on the M27 by his offside trailer wheel, only to watch it hit the rear of the police car in front...

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldgit

Visit site

Think I have mentioned elsewhere about my speedboat fast disappearing down steep beach only to come to an abrupt halt when it hit a groin which punched a neat hole in the stern.Still did manage to miss all sunbathers on beach i suppose.

<hr width=100% size=1>Oooh look its still not dark and its nearly 5pm

hlb

RIP
Visit site

Hmm. Trying to forget the time I was asked to go along as expert to test a mate of mine old knackered boat on windermere. Everything went fine untill putting it back on the trailer. Now the method of navigating this thing, was a piece of string for the throttle and another mate with mole grips to change gear. So I backs up to get a long straight run at the trailer, and not to slow because of the wind. Tells bloke with mole grips to put it in forwards and pulls string a bit. Then realised that it's going a bit fast so shouts to put it in reverse. But he's gone and sat on the back seat to admire the view!! Boat flys up the trailer and the winch poll thingy went straight through the hull. Would not have been so bad except the boat owners family run my local pub. So the stick I got was hard to live down........../forums/images/icons/frown.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>
smiling.gif
Haydn

oldgit

Visit site

How about watching your dinghy disappear up the river because some idiot did not make it fast proper.Unable to chase after until tide floated boat hour later/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>Oooh look its still not dark and its nearly 5pm

hlb

RIP
Visit site

Oh well if you insist on going off topic. How about going to the pub in dinghy, leaving boat at deap water buoy and some one went joy riding in the dinghy and left us stranded. Luckily the water taxi was doing his last trip cos the water was fast disapearing. Found dinghy next morning at high tide, when we could take the boat up the river. The dinghy was tied up at the other side!!

<hr width=100% size=1>
smiling.gif
Haydn