That was steep

Bigplumbs

Visit site
would you have deflated and put it in / on your car for that money ?
It is a Rib with a 60hp on the back. If you can get that in or on a car I would like to see it.

But in answer to your question sort of I could have recovered and launched the 5 times I used it for £100 total. But yes that is hassle.

As I said £206 was a bit of a shock and has made us think twice about that location. Not a massive deal but something to think about

alandalus11

Visit site
As one harbour master said to me when I questioned the price for electricity per night "if you don't like it then don't stay". Most marina's in my view are fairly good value with good facilities, others just take the ???? because they can.

Bouba

Visit site
As one harbour master said to me when I questioned the price for electricity per night "if you don't like it then don't stay". Most marina's in my view are fairly good value with good facilities, others just take the ???? because they can.
That is a piss poor attitude for a HM....unless you were really giving him a hard time

Seastoke

Visit site
It is a Rib with a 60hp on the back. If you can get that in or on a car I would like to see it.

But in answer to your question sort of I could have recovered and launched the 5 times I used it for £100 total. But yes that is hassle.

As I said £206 was a bit of a shock and has made us think twice about that location. Not a massive deal but something to think about
Where did you sleep.

ylop

Visit site
Been in Brixham for a few days at a Rally. Left the little 4.5 m rib in MDL Brixham for 8 days. It was £206 which I thought was rather steep to be honest. What day you lot think.

I paid for 5m as this is the minimum which is fair enough
I’ve never understood why marinas charge per m - if you are occupying a 8m finger berth you occupying the same berth whether it’s a 4.5m boat or a 9m one.
They do have very nice showers and toilets that are included in the price though 😁
But that shouldn’t be a deciding factor because all marinas should have nice, clean, cared for facilities (included)
well an all inclusive price may be better value (for those who wish to use it) than a lower berth but then paying £1 or £2 per shower. A boat with 6 crew on board certainly uses more shore facilities than a singlehanded. Different approaches and business models are not necessarily bad - eg, in many places the visitor berths get electricity FOC, which would presumably be of no interest to a small rib.
It did not include trailer or car parking. We left the trailer at the camp site. Parking was £10.50 a day and the launch was £18 which seems to have included pulling it out also. No idea how much trailer parking was
Youch! I don’t think I’ve ever used a marina that actually charged for parking if you were paying for a berth.
Where did you sleep.
Presumably in the campsite where he left the trailer. Would be interesting to see what the cost of that was. Its a while since I camped but I remember the last time being surprised at the cost - and covid increased demand since then.

ashtead

Visit site
I suppose to save money you might have tried to berth at the yacht club pontoon which looks fine for aRIB surely. I suspect MDL at Brixham who as a visitor I’ve found very helpful might not have much choice in centrally set prices but don’t really need 4.5m visitors . Just say thanks you were not at Torquay marina. I sure you also have the MDL card so points for future visits -we have taking these into account not found charges bad given location and facilities plus convenience to town and walks etc. only issue is the small walkway bridge to pontoons .

Farmer Piles

Visit site
Prices are hiking up massively down this way too. When we bought our Aquador 32 from the Hamble 2 1/2 years ago I thought that Swanwick was dear at £43 per night. We stayed at Falmouth Haven a couple of weeks back and it has jumped from £28 the last time to £43. This is owned and run by Falmouth Harbour Commissioners - we feel that with all their charges shooting up that they are milking the locals as well visitors.
A boat builder friend reckons that costs have gone up by 40% in the past two years. He was saying that on the Helford that one of the moorings operators is putting charges up from £300 per annum to £900. It is pricing the average working man out of boating. Our local postman is an avid diver and he had to sell his RIB last year as the Falmouth Harbour launching charges had made it unaffordable for him.
I know that harbour authorities need to make money but greed seems to be the driver these days. Especially in an area like Cornwall where the average wage is well below the national average.
We have about 400m of foreshore on Mylor Creek where locals can keep their boats on outhauls or dry out on the beach. We don't charge as we feel that it gives ordinary folk a chance to get out onto the water.

Wansworth

Visit site
Prices are hiking up massively down this way too. When we bought our Aquador 32 from the Hamble 2 1/2 years ago I thought that Swanwick was dear at £43 per night. We stayed at Falmouth Haven a couple of weeks back and it has jumped from £28 the last time to £43. This is owned and run by Falmouth Harbour Commissioners - we feel that with all their charges shooting up that they are milking the locals as well visitors.
A boat builder friend reckons that costs have gone up by 40% in the past two years. He was saying that on the Helford that one of the moorings operators is putting charges up from £300 per annum to £900. It is pricing the average working man out of boating. Our local postman is an avid diver and he had to sell his RIB last year as the Falmouth Harbour launching charges had made it unaffordable for him.
I know that harbour authorities need to make money but greed seems to be the driver these days. Especially in an area like Cornwall where the average wage is well below the national average.
We have about 400m of foreshore on Mylor Creek where locals can keep their boats on outhauls or dry out on the beach. We don't charge as we feel that it gives ordinary folk a chance to get out onto the water.
Well done

alandalus11

Visit site
That is a piss poor attitude for a HM....unless you were really giving him a hard time
On the contrary, no hard time given at all. I simply asked politely and just the once if it was possible to reduce the electric charge as all I needed it for was to keep the fridge running over night and the odd boil of a kettle. The electricity charge being charged by the marina per night would last me a week in normal circumstances. Fair enough if I was on a super huge motor boat but I wasn't so it was worth asking. So yes in your words it was a piss poor attitude from a harbour master. However, this marina in my view does take the ???? because it can. I will still visit and I accept the fact I am being overcharged for electricity, but I like the area.

Bouba

Visit site
On the contrary, no hard time given at all. I simply asked politely and just the once if it was possible to reduce the electric charge as all I needed it for was to keep the fridge running over night and the odd boil of a kettle. The electricity charge being charged by the marina per night would last me a week in normal circumstances. Fair enough if I was on a super huge motor boat but I wasn't so it was worth asking. So yes in your words it was a piss poor attitude from a harbour master. However, this marina in my view does take the ???? because it can. I will still visit and I accept the fact I am being overcharged for electricity, but I like the area.
That is the whole problem....even in bad economic times there is still a huge demand for places in port...this leads to complacency. But, as a generalized rule, port staff that I come across are usually pleasant

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
For me, it would have been well worth the hassle of launch and recovery. Small motor boats aren’t that difficult, if the trailer is suitable. We used to keep our 6.5 at home. That, to be fair though, has been replaced with a 3.5 that is on a launch trolley in the dinghy park. It is a beast to pull up the slipway by hand.