Tablet confusion

Andrew41

Visit site
Boy, these threads can get very long very quickly - page6!
I've just read through to here as I was looking for Navionics/Android info.
I am considering a plotter by the wheel as I have to keep diving down below to the Nav station to check things on the plotter.
I do have paper charts & pilot books and a window I can see the plotter through but, in some situations, an old plotter at the wheel would be rather handy.
The boat has Raymarine kit so I am looking to add a 2nd C80 plotter but need to have another set of charts for it so I was costing this out and looking at 2nd hand/Update costs.
Even when you buy the Navionics Gold UK charts at £175 it's £90 to get Updates.
Now I am not wanting this thread to go into the 2nd plotter/Raymarine issues as there is tons of info on that on YBW already.
I just read another YBW thread that says the Navionics HD app has free chart updates for life and this piqued my interest after the plotter chart costs.
I have a trusty Mk1 Hudl and it has been quite impressive but I haven't used it on the boat yet.
I went to get the Navionics Android app last month and they have vanished from Google Play, there was only skiing, no UK charts.
I contacted Navionics customer service and they replied:
"Thank you for contacting Navionics. The Android Marine apps have been temporarily removed from the store while we work on correcting some functionality issues we recently discovered. It is important that we provide our customer with the highest quality apps possible. Improved Marine apps will be available soon. We apologize for any inconvenience."
I was sure the Android apps had returned a few weeks' ago but when I search today there are none.
I hope that Navionics haven't realised what a great deal this was, noticed the decline of Gold card Updates and decided to change the app deal.
The £35 app would have been a lot easier and cheaper than a £600 used plotter + charts + wiring.
I don't want the thread to dive off into the merits of a clingfilm'ed tablet vs a plotter vs 'proper' navigation - I just wondered if I was correct that the Navionics Android apps are still missing.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
2. Do not get something with 3G or even 4G built in. That feature will increase cost very significantly and limit your network choice and what you can do with it. Instead, get a cheap mifi device and connect to it using WIFI. Then you can upgrade to the next G without needing a new tablet.

3. Phone-based GPS will not work offshore i.e. out of mobile coverage.

You need 3G or 4G feature to get GPS in iPads - you don't need a sim installed though. Data plans are pretty cheap though, I got a sim only 4GB a month for £5pm by adding it to an existing EE contract.

Visit site
As somewhat of a geek, we have around 8 Samsungs while the wife has iThings. They all run Navionics plus one or two other navigation apps, and I use them more often than I use the Raymarine equipment we have on board.

1. Samsung's GPS has proven more accurate than my two Garmin handhelds. I tested this in several places, relative to known features. Never bothered to test the accuracy of the iThings so can't compare.

2. Do not get something with 3G or even 4G built in. That feature will increase cost very significantly and limit your network choice and what you can do with it. Instead, get a cheap mifi device and connect to it using WIFI. Then you can upgrade to the next G without needing a new tablet.

3. Phone-based GPS will not work offshore i.e. out of mobile coverage.

I am not sure what you mean by 'something with 3G or 4G built in' could you explain that to me.

Visit site
I am considering a plotter by the wheel as I have to keep diving down below to the Nav station to check things on the plotter.
I do have paper charts & pilot books and a window I can see the plotter through but, in some situations, an old plotter at the wheel would be rather handy.
The boat has Raymarine kit so I am looking to add a 2nd C80 plotter but need to have another set of charts for it so I was costing this out and looking at 2nd hand/Update costs.
Even when you buy the Navionics Gold UK charts at £175 it's £90 to get Updates.
Now I am not wanting this thread to go into the 2nd plotter/Raymarine issues as there is tons of info on that on YBW already.
I just read another YBW thread that says the Navionics HD app has free chart updates for life and this piqued my interest after the plotter chart costs.
I have a trusty Mk1 Hudl and it has been quite impressive but I haven't used it on the boat yet.
I went to get the Navionics Android app last month and they have vanished from Google Play, there was only skiing, no UK charts.
I contacted Navionics customer service and they replied:
"Thank you for contacting Navionics. The Android Marine apps have been temporarily removed from the store while we work on correcting some functionality issues we recently discovered. It is important that we provide our customer with the highest quality apps possible. Improved Marine apps will be available soon. We apologize for any inconvenience."
I was sure the Android apps had returned a few weeks' ago but when I search today there are none.
I hope that Navionics haven't realised what a great deal this was, noticed the decline of Gold card Updates and decided to change the app deal.
The £35 app would have been a lot easier and cheaper than a £600 used plotter + charts + wiring.
I don't want the thread to dive off into the merits of a clingfilm'ed tablet vs a plotter vs 'proper' navigation - I just wondered if I was correct that the Navionics Android apps are still missing.

My reasons for wanting a chart in the cockpit are the same as yours, and not diving down to chart table just when I am needed most on deck.
I certainly hope the apps will be available again, and the question now arises if they do not, is it possible to transfer the app from my i4 to my proposed purchase of a HUDL2.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
My reasons for wanting a chart in the cockpit are the same as yours, and not diving down to chart table just when I am needed most on deck.
I certainly hope the apps will be available again, and the question now arises if they do not, is it possible to transfer the app from my i4 to my proposed purchase of a HUDL2.
No. An Android version works on Android devices, and iPad version works on iPads, an iPhone version works on iPhones. You buy the version for one of those types and you can't use it on one of the others.

Bav34

Visit site
iPad version works on iPads, an iPhone version works on iPhones. You buy the version for one of those types and you can't use it on one of the others.

Sorry LK, not true. Bought the app once and it works on both devices AND gets carried over to new devices.

Burnham Bob

Visit site
Apple users are totally committed - see the above posts about Apple couples on holiday - and are convinced its the the most wonderful operating system that anyone could ever invent. That's why Apple can charge the prices they do - Apple users will pay just about anything. I've never ever had any problem with the Amdroid system on my Nexus 7. I've never had to access complicated menus or found things buried in obscure places. However, because Android lets you do things Apple won't, you do get access to things Apple lock up and don't let you see. But for normal use don't worry about Adroid being difficult. My grand daughter is not yet three but happily plays games on the Nexus 7.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Sorry LK, not true. Bought the app once and it works on both devices AND gets carried over to new devices.

Yes, it gets carried over from ipad to new ipad but the HD edition bought for iPad won't work on the iPhone. I was trying to keep it simple for the OP who I think is starting from below base camp in experience terms. If you buy the Android version then no way will it work on Apple and vice versa.

Bav34

Visit site
Yes, it gets carried over from ipad to new ipad but the HD edition bought for iPad won't work on the iPhone.

I must have got lucky then. Paid once and the app has always worked on both iPad and iPhone. Perhaps it's down to the version ... I'm not sure if I've got HD or not.

Ravi

Visit site
I am not sure what you mean by 'something with 3G or 4G built in' could you explain that to me.

3G and 4G, built in, = a device that has a slot for a a mobile phone SIM card. (Nothing fancy, Just the sort of little plastic SIM card that you put in your mobile phone.)

(Obviously!), all mobile phones have the ability to take a SIM.
However, not all tablets have a slot for a SIM. They are more like computers than mobile phones and rely on wifi to transfer data to and from devices.

Some tablets CAN use SIM cards. i.e. you can make phone calls and send text messages using these tablets. (Some people call these tablets "PHablets").

3G is the standard phone network that most of us use today.
4G is the newest phone network that gives high speed internet access that we will all be using soon.

EugenR's pont is that getting a tablet without mobile phone SIM functionality will save you £££s and make it more futureproof.

As you have probably gathered the HUDL does not have a slot for a SIM card, so meets his recommendation.

Hope that helps.

Ravi

Visit site
....... in some situations, an old plotter at the wheel would be rather handy..

On another thread someone listed "RayControl" as their top tablet App. from my limited understanding this and (Rayview) allow him to do exactly what you want (replicate the plotter display wirelessly). Perhaps you do not need to buy Navionics.

scottie

Visit site
No. An Android version works on Android devices, and iPad version works on iPads, an iPhone version works on iPhones. You buy the version for one of those types and you can't use it on one of the others.

iPhone version did work on IPad
Was iPad version not the HD version?

Visit site

Ok, next question, I have a Navionics chip I bought to use with my TIKI software, was 5 years ago before the new ones which allow you to download to pc, mine has to use a cardreader, which is ok but just another bit of kit on the table etc.
Can I use that chip with a HUDL2, and if so how.

Visit site
Apple users are totally committed - see the above posts about Apple couples on holiday - and are convinced its the the most wonderful operating system that anyone could ever invent. That's why Apple can charge the prices they do - Apple users will pay just about anything. I've never ever had any problem with the Amdroid system on my Nexus 7. I've never had to access complicated menus or found things buried in obscure places. However, because Android lets you do things Apple won't, you do get access to things Apple lock up and don't let you see. But for normal use don't worry about Adroid being difficult. My grand daughter is not yet three but happily plays games on the Nexus 7.

User experience is invaluable, all ages seem to be able to handle the android.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Ok, next question, I have a Navionics chip I bought to use with my TIKI software, was 5 years ago before the new ones which allow you to download to pc, mine has to use a cardreader, which is ok but just another bit of kit on the table etc.
Can I use that chip with a HUDL2, and if so how.

No.

Visit site
3G and 4G, built in, = a device that has a slot for a a mobile phone SIM card. (Nothing fancy, Just the sort of little plastic SIM card that you put in your mobile phone.)

(Obviously!), all mobile phones have the ability to take a SIM.
However, not all tablets have a slot for a SIM. They are more like computers than mobile phones and rely on wifi to transfer data to and from devices.

Yes it certainly does, a very clear explanation for which I am most gratefull, as a previous post said my experience is below 'base camp' but this thread has been a great enlightenment to an area I have only touched via my i4, happy to think now I may be somehwere north of base, but not at the summit yet.
Some tablets CAN use SIM cards. i.e. you can make phone calls and send text messages using these tablets. (Some people call these tablets "PHablets").

3G is the standard phone network that most of us use today.
4G is the newest phone network that gives high speed internet access that we will all be using soon.

EugenR's pont is that getting a tablet without mobile phone SIM functionality will save you £££s and make it more futureproof.

As you have probably gathered the HUDL does not have a slot for a SIM card, so meets his recommendation.

Hope that helps.

Yes it certainly does, a very clear explanation for which I am most gratefull, as a previous post said my experience is below 'base camp' but this thread has been a great enlightenment to an area I have only touched via my i4, happy to think now I may be somehwere north of base, but not at the summit yet.