Tablet confusion

Colvic Watson

Visit site
The HUDL 2 would suit you better than a Samsung, they are the worst at adding layers of menus and options. The Nexus is a good piece of kit but for what you describe the HUDL is a better value option. Check out reconditioned iPads, they will be a bit more than the HUDL but you are used to their operating system.

Visit site
The HUDL 2 would suit you better than a Samsung, they are the worst at adding layers of menus and options. The Nexus is a good piece of kit but for what you describe the HUDL is a better value option. Check out reconditioned iPads, they will be a bit more than the HUDL but you are used to their operating system.
Spent most of today doing just that, lots available and many look in good condition, some with guarantees, and my being used to the operating system is a plus I must admit, was very much at home with the ipad. I have an option on an ipad2, being refurbished by a local pc repair business I know well, with full guarantees and service backup for just a little more than a new HUDL2, and with the ongoing challenges of android and Navionics nav downloads it is increasingly a strong contender when making my final decision.
I must repeat my thanks to all contributors here, without which I would not have the much better understanding I have gained as a result of the generosity of forumites posting on this thread.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Good luck, I've bought two reconditioned iPads and been delighted with both. But if you can possibly stretch to an iPad 3 it will be much faster - this is important because Navionics already won't work on the iPad 1 and as the app becomes more sophisticated it may stop working on the iPad 2 in a year or two. The iPad 3 is so fast that despite there being two newer ones since I can't tell the difference when I use both side by side - the '3' is the one to hunt down if you can. The display is also much clearer and crisper and for those of us with eye sight that's a nice.

xeitosaphil

Visit site
I remember, vividly, starting a petrol-engined car, standing still and without a self-starter. Admittedly the vehicle was rather more than 31 years older than me.
I bet no-one on this site can quote the model and make![/QUOTE]

If it's the same as my car at the time? early 70's it might have been " a 1959 Morris 1000 Saloon ".

Used to use a starting handle when the battery was flat, and always started 1st time on the handle.

Or it could be one like my brother had sometime before me, an Austin A70 ?

Visit site
Good luck, I've bought two reconditioned iPads and been delighted with both. But if you can possibly stretch to an iPad 3 it will be much faster - this is important because Navionics already won't work on the iPad 1 and as the app becomes more sophisticated it may stop working on the iPad 2 in a year or two. The iPad 3 is so fast that despite there being two newer ones since I can't tell the difference when I use both side by side - the '3' is the one to hunt down if you can. The display is also much clearer and crisper and for those of us with eye sight that's a nice.

Thats valuable information with regard to the Navionics future with iPad2, as that is the one I refered to, so hunt on now for iPad3, lots on ebay etc.
Does all iPads have an integral GPS chip, so important obviously not to rely on an onshore mast etc.

Visit site
I was asked for suggestions for a birthday present for myself and suggested a Hudl2. As we had Tesco vouchers to the valuer of £33 pounds and these count for double used against the Hudl we got one for £63. If you use Tesco check your Clubcard/vouchers it was worth the effort.

Thank you will ask SWMBO if she has any.

Visit site

For the sake of certainty, do all iPads have internal GPS chips, would have thought so but need make sure before I purchase.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
For the sake of certainty, do all iPads have internal GPS chips, would have thought so but need make sure before I purchase.

All iPads that can take a SIM card do have a full GPS chip. If it can't take a SIM card it does not have one.

Usually referred to as "wifi & cellular" does, "wifi only" doesn't.

Visit site
:confused: :sleeping:

Sorry to wake you, but I must have missed the second quote, as it is obvious, I need GPS to be able to use the Navionics app, as I can now do with my i4 phone, which itself must have a GPS to as it places my boat on the charts, do I understand you correctly, that only iPads with WiFi and Cellular are GPS prepared with chips built in.

Or, is it the Navionics app itself that provides the GPS connection, as it works on many tablets also.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I've just bought Mrs Moron a 16gb wifi only ipad air for Christmas. It's not got GPS but I won't be allowed to use it on the boat anyway. I'm going to get a Hudl 2 for that if Tesco last until Christmas.

Visit site
No, this version is wifi only, and the slot you see is for the charging lead. The version you need is the wifi + cellular.

Thank you, I need to be sure before purchase so as to be able to run the Navionics app.
I have an i4 phone with the app on it, does that obviously mean apple have a GPS in my phone to.

Visit site
I've just bought Mrs Moron a 16gb wifi only ipad air for Christmas. It's not got GPS but I won't be allowed to use it on the boat anyway. I'm going to get a Hudl 2 for that if Tesco last until Christmas.

I have checked out the HUDL2 both instore and online reports are excellent, they look very good for the money, but really would like a larger screen as the iPads have 10" rather than the 7".2 a HUDL2 has.