Tablet confusion

Visit site
You can't.

I accept that thanks.
My thinking was that the app is neither apple nor android, but works on both when downloaded from i tunes store to either, is the problem one of being unable to link one to another. I like your succinct replies, but prefer a little more expanation to progress up this mountain.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Stick to the HUDL, avoid cheaper versions of Android tablets or you're going to need oxygen equipment for that summit!

Just be aware that currently you can't get Navionics for any Android device including the HUDL2 - but I'm sure they will have fixed the problem by next season. It comes back to the biggest flaw of Android versus the biggest flaw of Apple. Android has to work on a thousand different type of tablet and phone, and every manufacturer makes their own tweak and change to the system, the worst at this are Samsung. This makes it incredibly customizable then one day your device no longer runs that Navionics app or you can't download the new charts or an essential update. The basic flaw of Apple is you get naff all customising options, Apple tells you exactly what you can and can't run on it, no argument, no discussion; the upside is if you agree to those rules it will just work.

As customers we need both systems to thrive and preferably a third or fourth, market domination leads to rip off monopoly.

Ravi

Visit site
Ooooh! I do love a good Apple debate.

Then suddenly the Android couple are locked in their room, the code to exit is clearly displayed but in a filing cabinet in the basement which requires special permission to enter - which you don't have. Then the water starts to come out of the sockets and the electricity out of the taps because this very particular make of hotel room isn't 100% compatible with the hotel systems delivery network. Then their flight home is cancelled but nobody knows why, at least until the airline reboot takes place, but no one knows which switch does that. They are fairly sure a switch does actually reboot the system but no one can find it. Fortunately there is a bang on the door from the tour rep who has come to offer them 27 choices for their lion safari; after that they have 19 different choices to make about what colour tour bus to go on and 15 choices about which type of lion to see. All of which is irrelevant because they are still locked in their room.

Meanwhile Mr & Mrs Apple remain content with their three choices for dinner and their room that just works. Plus they won't have to walk home, their flight wasn't cancelled.

Ooohhh...Thread hijack! I love a good Apple debate!

Android is not really as terrifying as you think - despite what the Apple marketing machine says!

There is no doubt that Apple devices are good technology. The marketing genius of Apple is in convincing people that they are paying the top price for the BEST technology.

An iPad 4 is a fabulous piece of kit. It is, perhaps, the best value product Apple have made.
But, it is debatable whether it is as good as a Google Nexus 10 - which is 25% cheaper!

As with the holiday analogy, you are getting a great product with Apple. It is just that it is not the best product. But it IS the most expensive product.
Quality is consistently good at the high end of the market, so you are unlikely to be dissatisfied by an Apple product. There is something reassuring about a brand which guarantees quality and it is nice to be able to go out and buy something with the confidence that you are not buying a turkey.

And brand quality engenders customer loyalty. Apple customers' loyalty borders on fundamentalist zeal, so they are damn good at what they do.

I know that there is no point in debating with a fundamentalist, but I can't resist. ;-)

Andrew41

Visit site
On another thread someone listed "RayControl" as their top tablet App. from my limited understanding this and (Rayview) allow him to do exactly what you want (replicate the plotter display wirelessly). Perhaps you do not need to buy Navionics.

Thanks Ravi, yes a good suggestion. Unfortunately the Raymarine apps only work with the new generation plotters/displays with Wi-Fi.
I would have to replace my trusty C80 Classic with a new wifi display, of which the 6" is a bit small. the 7" starts at £700 and the 9" would be OK but starts at £1,370 plus chart costs on top, so for a decent screen size it's out of my budget.
Another issue is that the new displays all demand a digital radar and I have a (broken but hope to repair/replace) analogue Raymarine radar. Also the new displays would need a converter to talk to my non-Evolution autopilot.
Using the new apps I would then have the tablet at the wheel and enter that other great debate! Two touch-screen displays and two wet hands - oh, oh.
The Hudl is great but the screen is quite small. OK the Hudl2 is a bit bigger screen 8.3" compared to 7" but I've got the mark1 Hudl.
If the Navionics Android apps reappear then I'll try my Hudl out but I may have bought another classic plotter by then 'coz the boat's on the hard now and the devil makes work...

scottie

Visit site
Boy, these threads can get very long very quickly - page6!
I've just read through to here as I was looking for Navionics/Android info.
I am considering a plotter by the wheel as I have to keep diving down below to the Nav station to check things on the plotter.
I do have paper charts & pilot books and a window I can see the plotter through but, in some situations, an old plotter at the wheel would be rather handy.
The boat has Raymarine kit so I am looking to add a 2nd C80 plotter but need to have another set of charts for it so I was costing this out and looking at 2nd hand/Update costs.
Even when you buy the Navionics Gold UK charts at £175 it's £90 to get Updates.
Now I am not wanting this thread to go into the 2nd plotter/Raymarine issues as there is tons of info on that on YBW already.
I just read another YBW thread that says the Navionics HD app has free chart updates for life and this piqued my interest after the plotter chart costs.
I have a trusty Mk1 Hudl and it has been quite impressive but I haven't used it on the boat yet.
I went to get the Navionics Android app last month and they have vanished from Google Play, there was only skiing, no UK charts.
I contacted Navionics customer service and they replied:
"Thank you for contacting Navionics. The Android Marine apps have been temporarily removed from the store while we work on correcting some functionality issues we recently discovered. It is important that we provide our customer with the highest quality apps possible. Improved Marine apps will be available soon. We apologize for any inconvenience."
I was sure the Android apps had returned a few weeks' ago but when I search today there are none.
I hope that Navionics haven't realised what a great deal this was, noticed the decline of Gold card Updates and decided to change the app deal.
The £35 app would have been a lot easier and cheaper than a £600 used plotter + charts + wiring.
I don't want the thread to dive off into the merits of a clingfilm'ed tablet vs a plotter vs 'proper' navigation - I just wondered if I was correct that the Navionics Android apps are still missing.
We have 2 raymarine plotters one is designated master (and has to be running )and has charts second does not require charts

Visit site
Because they were asked to, and that is what we do here, and as the OP I am most gratefull. In addition, dedicated web sites cannot and do not give a feeling of sincerety of opinion, nor the humour and the desire to be of asistance. Long may this site continue

Burnham Bob

Visit site
sorry Bav34 - no criticism intended. I've never found Android difficult to work so was trying to point out to the OP that Apple users really do think their systems are the best. I've never had difficulty with buried menus on Android so was trying to reassure him that Android is perfectly user friendly but because it allows greater access than Apple, if you do want to delve into the innards you can. But it's not compulsory. Apple is expensive and for most users, Android offers everything they need (and everythijng that Apple does) at a lower price. I didn't want the OP to think Android was difficult.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Ooooh! I do love a good Apple debate.

Ooohhh...Thread hijack! I love a good Apple debate!

Android is not really as terrifying as you think - despite what the Apple marketing machine says!

There is no doubt that Apple devices are good technology. The marketing genius of Apple is in convincing people that they are paying the top price for the BEST technology.

An iPad 4 is a fabulous piece of kit. It is, perhaps, the best value product Apple have made.
But, it is debatable whether it is as good as a Google Nexus 10 - which is 25% cheaper!

As with the holiday analogy, you are getting a great product with Apple. It is just that it is not the best product. But it IS the most expensive product.
Quality is consistently good at the high end of the market, so you are unlikely to be dissatisfied by an Apple product. There is something reassuring about a brand which guarantees quality and it is nice to be able to go out and buy something with the confidence that you are not buying a turkey.

And brand quality engenders customer loyalty. Apple customers' loyalty borders on fundamentalist zeal, so they are damn good at what they do.

I know that there is no point in debating with a fundamentalist, but I can't resist. ;-)

:)

Bav34

Visit site
No prob. Bob :)

And no, I don't think that Apple is the best as I haven't used the latest Windows versions or any Android products. All I have done in any posts is talk about the system I am familiar with, not preach its virtues. I swear a lot of Apple employees don't use their own product. If they did they'd get rid of the many niggling frustrations.

Visit site
Stick to the HUDL, avoid cheaper versions of Android tablets or you're going to need oxygen equipment for that summit!

Just be aware that currently you can't get Navionics for any Android device including the HUDL2 - but I'm sure they will have fixed the problem by next season. It comes back to the biggest flaw of Android versus the biggest flaw of Apple. Android has to work on a thousand different type of tablet and phone, and every manufacturer makes their own tweak and change to the system, the worst at this are Samsung. This makes it incredibly customizable then one day your device no longer runs that Navionics app or you can't download the new charts or an essential update. The basic flaw of Apple is you get naff all customising options, Apple tells you exactly what you can and can't run on it, no argument, no discussion; the upside is if you agree to those rules it will just work.

As customers we need both systems to thrive and preferably a third or fourth, market domination leads to rip off monopoly.
Following a visit to my local Tesco, and speaking with an advisor, I am even more impressed with the HUDL2 and its capabilities, which more than cover what I will use it for, all at a lower cost than its rivals in its range.
The Samsung really caught my eye, larger screen and excellent graphics, and seemed simple to use, but at over £100.00 more for pretty much the same results decided against it.
My concern is the current unavailability of Navionics areas I want, for an Android device, plus the uncertainty of when and if they will be available. This does not seem to be the case for the ipad, Navionics are still in the apps store.
I will wait until the situation becomes clear, as my main purpose is to have Navionics on deck, quite what the issues mentioned are but they apperar only to apply to Android appliances. I wish to repeat my thanks to all those who took the time and trouble to assist and certainly educate me in understanding what I did not some 90 + posts ago.

Andrew41

Visit site
We have 2 raymarine plotters one is designated master (and has to be running )and has charts second does not require charts

This thread is fizzling out but for the sake of completeness - yes, thanks Scottie the newer displays can be set master/slave and share charts but I'm still happily back in the Dark Ages of the old Classic C series which can't be networked and each have to have their own charts. It's not a big deal as I have two UK cards, one of which is very old but is fine for the cockpit as I have the use of my forward-looking eyeballs and it's just what's under the water that mainly concerns me and that doesn't tend to change much up here where we don't have shifting sands.
I'll be looking out for the Andoid app for my Hudl. Most of these gizmos don't work very well in the bright Scottish sunshine but entering a harbour at night the Hudl may prove useful to track progress, and if I drop it I won't be crying as I suspect Apple owners would. If I had a pound for every iPhone user I've seen with a cracked screen I'd be able to buy an iPhone.

Spyro

Visit site
Following a visit to my local Tesco, and speaking with an advisor, I am even more impressed with the HUDL2 and its capabilities, which more than cover what I will use it for, all at a lower cost than its rivals in its range.
The Samsung really caught my eye, larger screen and excellent graphics, and seemed simple to use, but at over £100.00 more for pretty much the same results decided against it.
My concern is the current unavailability of Navionics areas I want, for an Android device, plus the uncertainty of when and if they will be available. This does not seem to be the case for the ipad, Navionics are still in the apps store.
I will wait until the situation becomes clear, as my main purpose is to have Navionics on deck, quite what the issues mentioned are but they apperar only to apply to Android appliances. I wish to repeat my thanks to all those who took the time and trouble to assist and certainly educate me in understanding what I did not some 90 + posts ago.

"The Samsung" what samsung? If it has a bigger screen than the hudl2 then it is a 10 inch one that's why it's £100 dearer.
if I was comparing a Samsung tab and a hudl 2 i would want to see the camera and video functions compared.

scottie

Visit site
This thread is fizzling out but for the sake of completeness - yes, thanks Scottie the newer displays can be set master/slave and share charts but I'm still happily back in the Dark Ages of the old Classic C series which can't be networked and each have to have their own charts. It's not a big deal as I have two UK cards, one of which is very old but is fine for the cockpit as I have the use of my forward-looking eyeballs and it's just what's under the water that mainly concerns me and that doesn't tend to change much up here where we don't have shifting sands.
I'll be looking out for the Andoid app for my Hudl. Most of these gizmos don't work very well in the bright Scottish sunshine but entering a harbour at night the Hudl may prove useful to track progress, and if I drop it I won't be crying as I suspect Apple owners would. If I had a pound for every iPhone user I've seen with a cracked screen I'd be able to buy an iPhone.

True the rocks don't move but woodfarm Rock beacon is on the current Navionics hd chart on iPad and the iPhone version

GHA

Visit site
True the rocks don't move but woodfarm Rock beacon is on the current Navionics hd chart on iPad and the iPhone version
Also on the Android version, but looks like it's been added by a user, not actually on the latest navionics chart. It's not on the Web version of, presumably, the latest update of their charts.http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en

A benefit of access to crowd sourced nav info rather than anything to do with which platform you use maybe?

Colvic Watson

Visit site
I was skeptical of the sonar chart function on the latest Navionics HD but it's top bananas, the extra detail meant it was easy to find anchoring areas on the East Coast in our autumn cruise.

Visit site
"The Samsung" what samsung? If it has a bigger screen than the hudl2 then it is a 10 inch one that's why it's £100 dearer.
if I was comparing a Samsung tab and a hudl 2 i would want to see the camera and video functions compared.

It was the 10 inch, but for my purposes the HUDL2 will do everything, at least if and when the Navionics app I want is available, what I require, whether it is superior in operation in the areas mentioned I would not know, I was just commenting how good it looked, but more than what I can justify spending because of its possible superiority of operation in certain areas and cosmetic attractions.