Tablet confusion

Visit site
Not much help if you already have an iPhone (unless you are near an upgrade opportunity) but my preference is for Ipad tablet and Samsung (S4 now S5) phone. The IPad with Navionics is brilliant, go 3/4G but don't take out a contract just top-up a 3 sim as and when required, having had both large and mini IPads I prefer the mini. Good luck.

I understand some of that, are you suggesting I have both ipad and and iphone by samsung.
My i4 iphone is my own, not subject to contract, and I did not anticipate changing it, just trying to get to grips with the terminology so I can understand what does what and make a decision. It is an area I am not familiar with.

Visit site
I have one of the very cheap (£60 ish) 10" ebay tablets. (Android, KitKat). Not the best screen as you would expect at the price, but perfectly adequate for most purposes. It does NOT have GPS. Functionally, the ONLY thing I have found which does not work is NAVIONICS :(. (says 'not compatible with your device). Don't know if this is because it does not have GPS; or because Navionics simply chooses not to work with devices it does not recognize).

Apparently HUDL2 works OK with Navionics, has true GPS, if 8" is sufficient.

Thank you, I have seen KitKat on ebay, will avoid them is not compatible with Navionics, the main purpose for my search.
What is HUDL2?

charles_reed

Visit site
I am considering buying a tablet to download Navionics on, alreardy have on my iphone but would like a larger screen, I am looking at either Samsung or Apple, names already recommended.

So many types and styles to choose from, has anyone got an understanding of them and can advise me, looking at around an 8 inch or more, I understand must be GPS prepared, but how will I know that without enqiring about each one, so many on e-bay which look good.

First decision Android or ios7/8 - the former cheaper and more cheerful the latter more select but having a few problems with OS uograde.
For Navionics you're probably best with Android - preferably not Samsung who hack the basic OS around into a dogs' dinner.
The two Android tablets which get top ratings in terms of usable value for money are the Hudl2 and the Google Nexus 7, soon to become the 10.
The Hudl2 has an expansion slot, so you can double memory - the Nexus 7 has the marginally better screen and slightly faster CPU but its big strength is that it will be first in line for an OS upgrade.
iPad does, of course, define what a tablet should be but at a hard-to-justify premium.

Visit site
You don't even need to do that if you don't want to, just turn on "personal hotspot" on your phone and you can connect the iPad to it via Bluetooth or Wifi and use the phone's internet connection.

I bought a pay-as-you-go SIM for my iPad once when staying at a holiday cottage with no signal for my phone, but the rest of the time I've just used the hotspot as described.

Pete

I have seen 'personal hotspot' on my phone but did not know what it was for, so consequently have never used it, thank you for the enlightenment.

Visit site
I have a samsung Galaxy 8 inch. GPS enabled, they all are. I use it with Navionics and I'm very happy with it. Good camera and video, great battery life. If you shop around you will get one for about £130.

Tha sounds like what I looking for.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I've got a Samsung Galaxy tab2 with 10" screen using HD Navionics and it's superb for the price. I'm very pleased, and for the cost of the Navionics HD charts excellent value. If buying again, I'll go for Hudl2 or nexus - definitely NOT Ipad as they are too expensive .

Visit site
First decision Android or ios7/8 - the former cheaper and more cheerful the latter more select but having a few problems with OS uograde.
For Navionics you're probably best with Android - preferably not Samsung who hack the basic OS around into a dogs' dinner.
The two Android tablets which get top ratings in terms of usable value for money are the Hudl2 and the Google Nexus 7, soon to become the 10.
The Hudl2 has an expansion slot, so you can double memory - the Nexus 7 has the marginally better screen and slightly faster CPU but its big strength is that it will be first in line for an OS upgrade.
iPad does, of course, define what a tablet should be but at a hard-to-justify premium.

Thats very clear, thank you, I was unaware that HUDL2 was an ipad, as you will see froma previous reply! but from your description sounds very good, but so long as it has sufficient memory to run Navionics and a few other apps then will do what I require. I will look into both of your recommendations, thank you.

Visit site
I've got a Samsung Galaxy tab2 with 10" screen using HD Navionics and it's superb for the price. I'm very pleased, and for the cost of the Navionics HD charts excellent value. If buying again, I'll go for Hudl2 or nexus - definitely NOT Ipad as they are too expensive .

Am i correct in assumiming iPad means apple, and are not the other two also 'iPads' has it become a generic term for them.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Am i correct in assumiming iPad means apple, and are not the other two also 'iPads' has it become a generic term for them.

Tablet is generic. iPad is Apple, only Apple make iPads. They're more expensive, have fewer features, use Apple only approved software and apps and allow almost no customisation. But they are the best for my use because they are the most intuitive and reliable. I can't be going with seven different options and parameters buried in sub menus. I just want it to work - and it does. If you like tweaking and being in control of your device then buy an Android tablet. I have better things to do than manage my iPad/tablet.

Visit site

Is this an example of HUDL:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Tesco...=UK_iPad_Tablets_eReaders&hash=item33980938f4

Is it GPS prepared, I see it has android Kit Kat operating system, are all HUDL and Nexus GPS prepared.

Visit site
Tablet is generic. iPad is Apple, only Apple make iPads. They're more expensive, have fewer features, use Apple only approved software and apps and allow almost no customisation. But they are the best for my use because they are the most intuitive and reliable. I can't be going with seven different options and parameters buried in sub menus. I just want it to work - and it does. If you like tweaking and being in control of your device then buy an Android tablet. I have better things to do than manage my iPad/tablet.

I understand now thank you, not quite clear what I would have to do to operate the android with the 'with seven different options and parameters buried in sub menus' how much more effort does it take and why.

Spyro

Visit site
I understand now thank you, not quite clear what I would have to do to operate the android with the 'with seven different options and parameters buried in sub menus' how much more effort does it take and why.
I think you need to go to a shop and get someone to explain it all.

prv

Visit site

It's a matter of style rather than one specific fact. But Apple are generally regarded as among the best at making relatively complicated technology simple and straightforward to use - for a long time they were associated with the phrase "it just works".

Part of the way they achieve this is to make some decisions for you - certain things will work in a particular way and that's that, if you want it to behave differently you are out of luck. This enrages a certain type of technical user who demands to be able to customise and control everything, and doesn't mind the additional complexity. But it does make things easier for those doing normal everyday things that Apple envisaged.

It's a little like a packaged holiday (but an expensive, 4-star one, not a cheap Benidorm trip) where everything is organised for you and there are reps to ensure things run smoothly, versus getting on the Web and booking your own flights and accommodation and activities. Someone who is a nervous traveller would be better off with the package, whereas a more adventurous sort who wants to go somewhere more unusual (or who wants to save a few quid) and doesn't mind getting to grips with foreign train timetables or whatever, will prefer the self-booked option.

(And even an experienced traveller who just wants an easy and relaxing time and finds the package matches what they want, may go for the package even if they'd be perfectly capable of the other option :) ).

If you already have an iPhone (you're sure it is an iPhone? Got an Apple logo on the back?) and you're happy with it, and you're not the most technical, then an iPad is going to be easiest for you to get to grips with because it works just like your phone.

Pete

Visit site
Lots of android tablets have proper gps that doesn't need a phone connection. My nexus 7 has 'proper' gps. I'm actually one of those people that believes Apple justifies its price tag with a high pose value. My wife has one of the old tesco hudls which quite frankly is a superb piece of kit. not as good (quite) as my nexus 7 but so much cheaper. The new hudl has a larger screen and it is bigger than some of the chart plotters you can buy. It also has dedicated self contained gps that will work fine with a plotter app

why not take a look at tesco? screen brightness is adjustable and on full, battery life will be shortened - but that's the same with any tablet. as for water proofing, just wrap it in clingfilm - you'll get that advice from lots of forumites so it's not just me.

do yu really want t pay out for an ipad?

I have just read the HUDL2 review, its very convincing from an indepenant source, and other forumites rating it highly, here is the review: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/tesco-hudl-2-1267726/review

Visit site
It's a matter of style rather than one specific fact. But Apple are generally regarded as among the best at making relatively complicated technology simple and straightforward to use - for a long time they were associated with the phrase "it just works".

Part of the way they achieve this is to make some decisions for you - certain things will work in a particular way and that's that, if you want it to behave differently you are out of luck. This enrages a certain type of technical user who demands to be able to customise and control everything, and doesn't mind the additional complexity. But it does make things easier for those doing normal everyday things that Apple envisaged.

It's a little like a packaged holiday (but an expensive, 4-star one, not a cheap Benidorm trip) where everything is organised for you and there are reps to ensure things run smoothly, versus getting on the Web and booking your own flights and accommodation and activities. Someone who is a nervous traveller would be better off with the package, whereas a more adventurous sort who wants to go somewhere more unusual (or who wants to save a few quid) and doesn't mind getting to grips with foreign train timetables or whatever, will prefer the self-booked option.

(And even an experienced traveller who just wants an easy and relaxing time and finds the package matches what they want, may go for the package even if they'd be perfectly capable of the other option :) ).

If you already have an iPhone (you're sure it is an iPhone? Got an Apple logo on the back?) and you're happy with it, and you're not the most technical, then an iPad is going to be easiest for you to get to grips with because it works just like your phone.

Pete

Got the picture with the holiday analogy, thank you, and yes my phone is an i4 apple. Just read the review of the HUDL2, sounds very useful tablet, certainly will do all I am looking for.

Visit site
I think you need to go to a shop and get someone to explain it all.

I have found this forum amazing and has a seemingly inexhaustible knowledge willingly given to those requesting it. I find shops often have an ulterior motive with their recommendations, unlike our forumites, but thanks for the suggestion.

Spyro

Visit site
I have found this forum amazing and has a seemingly inexhaustible knowledge willingly given to those requesting it. I find shops often have an ulterior motive with their recommendations, unlike our forumites, but thanks for the suggestion.

It's sometimes difficult to understand explanations written down without having the gadget in front of you and seeing it in action. Getting your hands on one and seeing it in action is def the way to go. Better still if you can find someone who has one to show you it in action.
One thing I like about android devices is the ability to be able to plug it into a computer or plug in a memory stick and move files/pics/videos about. Not so simple on an Apple device. E.G. my sons will download a movie to their PCs or laptop. I can copy it onto a memory stick and pop it in my tablet to watch.

Visit site
What GPS does need a phone connection?

Pete
A very good question that nobody has answered.

Why don't the phone companies make this clear? As I understand it a phone without a dedicated GPS chip CAN give GPS position because it knows where the phone masts are and can triangulate a rough GPS position. The more masts it can see the better the position accuracy. A phone with a dedicated chip uses a lot of battery power - but you always get an accurate fix.

charles_reed

Visit site
I understand some of that, are you suggesting I have both ipad and and iphone by samsung.
My i4 iphone is my own, not subject to contract, and I did not anticipate changing it, just trying to get to grips with the terminology so I can understand what does what and make a decision. It is an area I am not familiar with.

Yes, you are confused - Apple have nothing to do with Samsung and use their own operating system. Samsung and many other manufacturers use the Android operating system.
Having read the thread I can see no possible reference anywhere which should lead to your confusion.
The point has been made that having Navionics on your iphone you may find it easier to use an ipad as everything will be so similar