Suggestions - Channel Islands cruising itinerary?

Ancient_Mariner

Visit site
We're planning a 3 week cruise around the Channel Islands at the end of this month. It will be our first visit there, so I'd be grateful for any thoughts, suggestions, tips, etc about anchorages, where we should spend our time, ... Plan at this stage is to spend the second week in Jersey. Overall plan is not to move about too much - my motto is 2 or 3 days on the hook in a beautiful anchorage is better than spending the same time trying to make tidal gates before they close!

Any input greatfully received. I have the Channel Islands Pilot, so its local knowledge/good experiences that I'm after.

Larry

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
First off, don't spend a week in Jersey. St helier is quite manky. Mind you we have relatives there so seeing as he is a congenital liar on account of sitting on an island making up stories, my view is biased.

The other islands are much better. Jersey is only ok in massive stormy weather - st petes swells at hide tide.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Agree, guernsey et al are better and more charming than jersey; as you have three weeks I would also go a few miles south of jersey to chausey, I know it s french but it is a fantastic place anyway, you can spend one two days at anchor in a very good shelter and taste the fjord-in /fjord-out sensation!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Re: Suggestions - Channel Islands cruising itinera

The underground German hospital on Jersey is quite good - it kept a bunch of 15 year olds quiet for a couple of hours, anyway.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

Robin

Visit site
Don't miss Alderney except if wind comes from NE then avoid it completely. In July/August it will be busy and rafting on the buoys, consider anchoring for peace. On the buoys chafe can be a problem (boats have broken adrift many times, good income for local folk putting them back). We use a short length of chain pulled through the ring on a line tied to both ends, long enough too to have chain over the bow roller.
Sark is wonderful if you can get out of the tide to anchor. Our favourites are Havre Gosselin and Grand Greve (best with east winds). Dixcart & Derrible on the other side are nice but can be rolly.
Herm is also nice, easy and cheap enough to take a tripper ferry from St Peter Port.
Of the Big Islands I prefer Guernsey to Jersey, SWMBO prefers Jersey. Both St Peter Port and St Helier will be packed in July/August, St PP offers an anchorage option in Havelet Bay which can also fill up, can be rolly. There are anchorages around both Islands for settled conditions but I doubt you will have time on a first visit. It is cheap and very worthwhile to rent a car for a day at each and drive around, also will give you a chance to checkout some of the possible anchorages listed in the pilots.

If you prefer not to be captive in the marinas, you can stay on the pontoons in the outer harbour at St PP or in the La Collette marina in St Helier. In July/August if you go 'inside' you will be paranoid about leaving because you will lose your place!

Enjoy it, the Islands are wonderful.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
i was a bit busy before, and only had time to slag off Jersey. The other islands require no such treatment.

Herm as others have said is best on a ferry trip, but not to be missed. I bet it would be a great place to stay overnight in a b+b when all crowds have gone.

Sark is a laugh. The same person seems to nip in and out of each shop serving you and being the postman too. A horse and cart passed by and we asked if he was a taxi -Yes, he said hurridley - But I can't stop here! - as though the deserted track was the fast lane of the M25. Again, there's an hotel - quite a poncy one (name anyone?) on little sark worth at least a browse on the internet or a stay if you are locked in on st peter port or fancy a day off from boating.

I can recommend St malo (tho some say it one marina is shut this season?) and of course other places around the area like the Rance, and Dinan.

Alderney is also good for a few days. After that, you might get a bit tired of crab salad.

Beaucette on Guensey *sounds* ok but seem a bit dull really. It's an old quarry with the seawall blown out. Not many villages congregate around disused quarries, so it's pretty much a boat park with a clubhouse in a field.

One standard muckup is to go aground against the wall at the fuel pontoon at Jersey. Hint: don't use the fuel pontoon at jersey cos at anything other than high water it is a rather freaky climb down a long ladder.

Three weeks might be rather a long time, dunno. Under sail you could sneak to the west country after 2 weeks, and then not be so much under the cosh to pick an early return in the third week leave it in a marina and take the train ready for a nice meander back over bank hol or whatever.

<hr width=100% size=1>

DepSol

Visit site
Most of this info is good. Herm is a great anchorage but tides and swell can make it a bit uncomfortable. At this time of year if you go into St Peter Port and leave for a day you will be lucky to get your spot back.

Alderney well worth the visit but not in a NE. sark is great also but make sure the winds not out of the south. Don’t bother with ferry to Herm as it is very easy to get to. For the same price as a ticket you can buy a local version of the pilot book and use it to good effect.

Jersey apart from being the other Island is not as scenic as Guernsey harbour and we also have the Harbour carnival coming up soon.

If you need to know any specifics let me know as I am based in Guernsey.

<hr width=100% size=1>Dom

Now where is that Brendan hiding?

AndrewB

Visit site
Jersey islets

If the weather is settled, do visit at least one of the rock groups around Jersey: Les Ecrehus, Grand Chausey, Minquieres. Fascinating, romantic spots. A detailed chart is absolutely essential.

Apart from these, I'd agree with others that Jersey is much less interesting cruising than the Guernsey, Herm, Sark group.

billmacfarlane

Visit site
Sark is a must

You must go to Sark if the weather is settled. it's only about a half hour motor from St Peter Port. You can either anchor or pick up a buoy in what I think is called Havre Gosselin on the north west side of the island. I went ashore there last summer on a hot, clear, evening and had a wonderful walk all the way to the pub.

<hr width=100% size=1>

peterb

Visit site
Re: Sark is a must

Havre Gosselin is superb, but not in a south westerly wind. There are mooring buoys there now, but they are charged for. If you use your dinghy to go ashore, then don't forget the tidal rise and fall. It's quite common to see dinghies suspended by their painters on a falling tide, but it's much more fun watching someone trying to untie his painter from a ring that's now 2 metres below the surface!

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: that must be other side?

um Havre gosselin as i recall is landing to a beach, no? Or at best, some rubbish steps that look a bit iffy for landing at. Nobody was around to charge me. Are you thinking of he other side, nearer the er "town"?

<hr width=100% size=1>

peterb

Visit site

No, you land on steps or a ladder. Havre Gosselin is on the western side, just south of the island of Brecqhou. Incidentally, if you're going to HG from St Peter Port, it's fun to go to the north of Brecqhou, then go through the Gouliot Passage between Brecqhou and the mainland of Sark. If you are going to HG by the more common route, south of Brecqhou, then don't try to follow the frequently quoted leading line of Sark Mill and the Monument in line; you can't see Sark Mill any more because the trees have grown up.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: same place then

yes, same place. I refused the steps, probly cos low tide. I hated fiddling about near Breqcou as the guards seemed visible as they were building the castle!

<hr width=100% size=1>

DepSol

Visit site

There are much nicer places than HG like Dixcart and Derrible. or move south of HG and shelter under the coupe. Nice caves to explore in all these bays.

Ancient_Mariner

Visit site
Thanks for the input. We do plan to visit Geurnsey on the return leg, which would probably be sometime between 3rd and 6th August. THe harbour festival sounds good but this could mean congestion? Do these dates coincide with the festival? Other suggestions for spending a few days at Geurnsey would be appreciated.

Larry

<hr width=100% size=1>

DepSol

Visit site
You would have missed the harbour carnival by then.

Loads of cruising to do round here just need the weather and a good pilot book.

Let me know when you are here and what you want to do and I will see if I can help.

CliveG

Visit site
Hi Dom

When is the harbour carnival.
We intend to come over from Dartmouth around about Monday 21th July.

CliveG

<hr width=100% size=1>

Little_Russel

Visit site
I would definitely go to Beaucette. Unique place. Amazing entrance. Good restaurant. Just motor round from St Peter Port. It is also a good place to strike for home from. All the best. May see you there!

<hr width=100% size=1>Sail the Se7en seas...