Suez blocked.

Lucy52

Visit site
I was going to post earlier, but after after seeing the video it might not be so silly. I know the ship is very strong, but pined fore and aft between the canal banks and fully laden, could she begin to sag a little in the middle and take up a permanent set. With some support from the water would her back be strong enough?
The Telegraph report that they are making preparations to take containers off.
Egypt prepares to unload containers from ship blocking Suez after other measures fail
The full article may be behind a pay wall.

dombuckley

Visit site
View attachment 112291

As per Kukri's post 327 - 'Beach Tackle' as the 85' yacht had been parked under unstable (blue slipper clay) cliffs on a spring tide in a F11. Cliffs could not sustain any weight to crane gear down, the local council would not permit machinery on the beach, tugs too expensive to moor off for two weeks so hand digging to hollow out under the hull, construct and weld a steel cradle under the aluminium hull (so that the mast could not tilt back to snag the cliffs), then drag the cradle down a temporary slipway to two moored winch barges offshore.

Apologies for the thread drift so a virtual pint to the first person to name the yacht!
Wasn't that the rather ironically-named "Be Happy" ashore at Blackgang Chine?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I know the ship is very strong, but pined fore and aft between the canal banks and fully laden, could she begin to sag a little in the middle and take up a permanent set. With some support from the water would her back be strong enough?

They are pinning hopes on the spring high tides in the next few days, but with those also come spring low tides, so less support from the water at those times.

Tanqueray

Visit site
Unconfirmed reports that she is afloat.
Lots of activity now with 15 vessels adjacent to her.
Canal authority saying 'partially moved / unstuck and being prepped for further move.
My Ship Tracking Free Realtime AIS Vessel Tracking Vessels Finder Map - ship tracker

Right, I've done the morning watch on me lonesome and left her in the middle of the channel for you lot to sort when you can extricate yourselves from your pits. She first floated at 0416 btw, it's all in the log.

Last edited:

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Might ask; why are the side banks so shallow for such a distance out ?

If any Ship is comming close to the Max Draught allowed then it looks like the Grounding is quite likely !

Are those high gusting Side Winds a normal hazared on that Canal ; if so good Jobby that did ot win that war !

Frank Holden

Visit site

If any Ship is comming close to the Max Draught allowed then it looks like the Grounding is quite likely !

Are those high gusting Side Winds a normal hazared on that Canal ; if so good Jobby that did ot win that war !
Dunno if they are a normal hazard but in December '65 we ( standard issue cargo liner on her way home from the colonies.. on her marks ) anchored with lots of others in the Bitter Lakes to let a southbound convoy past...... we dragged anchor..... lots of whistle tooting from a Russian ship behind us to draw our attention to the problem....

Easticks28

Visit site
According to the press she's now afloat.

Hurrah!
Suez canal: Ever Given container ship freed from shoreline

"The stern of the ship, which had been four metres from the shore, was now 102m clear, the Suez Canal Authority said. It added that efforts to fully refloat the boat had begun.
Efforts to move the boat would resume at 11:30 local time (09:30 GMT) once the tide rises, officials said.
Traffic would resume once the ship is moved to a waiting area in a wider section of the canal, the authority said."
Would that be enought to allow for traffic to pass by?

savageseadog

Visit site
I've followed the thread but might have missed this................Is it possible for trapped ships behind to back out, or be backed out?

What's happening with the trapped ships actually in the canal? I assume they must be pushed up against the bank?

Frank Holden

Visit site
I've followed the thread but might have missed this................Is it possible for trapped ships behind to back out, or be backed out?

What's happening with the trapped ships actually in the canal? I assume they must be pushed up against the bank?
Either anchored in the Bitter Lakes or at anchor in Suez Bay....and points south...

Re my 'anchor dragging in the Bitter Lakes' tale up above...

The reason we were anchored there while northbound was down to bad weather disrupting convoy movements... we were meant to be in a 'direct' convoy... but there was massive congestion in the lake and I think we were on a rather short scope.....

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Because granular material - sand, gravel, snow, sugar, rice - has an "angle of repose" which is the maximum slope at which it is stable. Or, if you prefer, the slope it will adopt if just piled up. The angle of repose for waterlogged sand is around 30 degrees at best, so any underwater slope has to be less than that.

(Somebody else mentioned angle of repose earlier in the thread. Sorry, can't remember who it was.)

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
Because granular material - sand, gravel, snow, sugar, rice - has an "angle of repose" which is the maximum slope at which it is stable. Or, if you prefer, the slope it will adopt if just piled up. The angle of repose for waterlogged sand is around 30 degrees at best, so any underwater slope has to be less than that.

(Somebody else mentioned angle of repose earlier in the thread. Sorry, can't remember who it was.)
Doesn't the concept of "repose" imply being left alone? The banks must surely be subject to continual wash from ships, which would make sand gradually slide down way past "repose" angles; asymptotically to level? No doubt what the dredgers are for! ;-) I think we may have little domestic canals here which do not have built-up sides, but perhaps they are stabilised with grass instead like a railway embankment etc?