Suez blocked.

penfold

Visit site
The RAF have a solution... Courtesy of the BBC
View attachment 112367
That F14 is an F15 and the challengers look a lot like Shermans
But fission does not generate helium IIRC, unless alpha particles are included accidentally in radiation?
Fission does readily create tritium though, which decays into helium.
Oh no she isn’t.

She’s under way for the Great Bitter Lake for a dive survey.

Damhikt. Tell you later.
You must have secret squirrel insider knowledge, as AIS shows her stuck in the bank still, or at least as of 15 minutes ago.

Juan Twothree

Visit site
That F14 is an F15 and the challengers look a lot like Shermans

That'll be a trick of the light caused by the stealth paint.

The BBC (and lots of other sites) have pinched that graphic from the Twitter account of @RAF_Luton.

Some say that it's a parody account, but it actually makes much more sense than a lot of the stuff I read on the internet.

Tanqueray

Visit site
Doesn't the concept of "repose" imply being left alone? The banks must surely be subject to continual wash from ships, which would make sand gradually slide down way past "repose" angles; asymptotically to level? No doubt what the dredgers are for! ;-) I think we may have little domestic canals here which do not have built-up sides, but perhaps they are stabilised with grass instead like a railway embankment etc?

A couple of days ago one of the representatives on site (Canal authority iirc) stated that she was 'firmly stuck on the clay' - I remember thinking at the time whether it was just a language thing or whether the canal is indeed lined ( perhaps partially) with some sort of 'puddling clay' as would be the case back here (for water retention purposes).

Last edited:

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
A couple of days ago one of the representatives on site (Canal authority iirc) stated that she was 'firmly stuck on the clay' - I remember thinking at the time whether it was just a language thing or whether the canal is indeed lined ( perhaps partially) with some sort of 'puddling clay' as would be the case back here (for water retention purposes).

That's an awful lot of puddle clay at about a meter thick minimum. I used to sell the stuff.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
The geology of the Canal is above my pay grade!

It’s a sea level canal, filled with sea water, with no locks, so it’s very different to the Panama Canal, which was planned by de Lesseps as a sea level canal, but which was modified by the Americans, when they took over the project, to become a fresh water, locked canal, fed from Gatun Lake, which was really the only way to get it done.

Tanqueray

Visit site
That's an awful lot of puddle clay at about a meter thick minimum. I used to sell the stuff.

Could do with some for my Mill ponds if you've got any left over :)

I cannot see it being fully lined (and I'm guessing that the lakes at least are natural water retainers) - but the ymight have some porous areas where they need to at least slow down the leakage??? I'm just musing.

Tanqueray

Visit site
Incidentally, whereas she is now showing at 30 Deg, earlier this morning they had her at 11 Deg and at one time up to 0.2Kn!
Looks like the tugs moored up to the North have just cast off and are heading back to site.

penfold

Visit site
I notice that where the land adjacent to the Canal is cultivated there is, unsurprisingly, an irrigation canal not far away, so I think that in those areas the water table is not very low. But there may be salt contamination in other areas?
As long as the abstraction is controlled and doesn't lower the level too much it could be avoided; this is a big problem on pacific islands, excessive abstraction leading to seawater entering the water table.