Stuffing boxes / stern glands

ROXANNE

Visit site
If I am do any sailing this year will soon be faced with following minor dilemma:

In about 10 days will be returning for a break from where I work in the Middle East to Holland where my boat is, with intention of getting in a few weeks sailing. Most of the things that needed doing to the boat before it can go back in the water were done last year with the exception of regreasing/repacking/adusting the stern gland, which I had intended to do before relaunch. (it has an inboard diesel and prop shaft that exists via a conventional stuffing box/stern gland and cutlass bearing) It has turned out that the Marina where it is kept (indoors) can only launch it on the day I am planning to return (the bloke who drives the crane/travel lift is going on his holidays the day after I get back!) leaving me no time to do the work if I want to get it in the water . There seems to be three possibilities.

1. Launch it, as it is on the basis that it was fine when it came out of the water last September and will only be in the water again for three weeks.

2. Arrange for somebody from the marina to look at it / do the work

3. See if can get back a day earlier to check it out myself.

The pros and cons as I see them are:

If I launch without any check and there is a problem I have somehow got to get the boat out of the water again to sort it. If I let somebody else whose level of competence is unknown do it - It could go either way and be totally satisfactory or unsatisfactory. If I do it myself then provided I can get the materials I am fairly confident that I can do what ever is required. My main concern with this last option is (apart from getting back early) is getting the right size flax in the short time available. I understand flax packing comes in various sizes e.g.3/16”,1/4”,5/16” etc. – presumably the only real option in finding out which size I want is to take out some of the old stuff first – if I then cannot get the new flax in time it will be me that is stuffed.

As I am new to owning a boat (with an engine) and have never attempted a stern gland before, would much appreciate any advice/comments/suggestions and am I right about the flax packing do I have to get the same size as whatever is in their?

Thanks in advance

Derek

theduke

Visit site
the job is not as scary as it may first seem,undo the gland cover and measure the gap between shaft and stuffing box wall. that is your packing size, when you cut your pieces (approx 5) scarf the joint and alternate each piece at the 10 o'clock & 2 o'clock positions ,nip the cover down to the wrist twist pressure then tighten a touch further, you can adjust the pressure further when in the water ,preperation and cleanliness is the key to success, don't forget to grease the packing .
hope this helps and gives you the courage to do the job yourself

ccscott49

Visit site
Get somebody in the marina to advise on a good man, if its anywhere near alkmaar, call Jerry Laamens, at Laamens Yacht Haven, Akersloot and he will put you in touch with a very good man, I know and he will do the job, it would be far better to be safe than sorry, the consequences, start to get expensive. More packing can be inserted when afloat, I've done it, but I know what I'm doing.

Plum

Visit site
If it was OK when you used it last I do not understand why you thing the packing will need replacing. The gland should leak by about 4 drips per minute. If it is leaking more, just tighten the gland a bit, but no so much to eliminate all leaks. Keep pumping grease into it to ensure a long and healthy life. Whenever you leave the boat give the greaser a punp/turn and the extra grease will reduce the drip to almost nothing and keep your bilge dry. The big benefit of the traditional gland packing is that it deteriorates SLOWLY and should last for 5 to 10 years before you need to repack, assuming your engine usage is typical.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I agree. The stuffing box on my boat has not been changed by me (7 years) nor, I suspect, by the previous owner (4 years). We previously hauled out every year but for the four winters before last remained afloat. We grease every 2 hours when motoring. The stern gland has given no problems whatsoever and shaft wear is minimal.

If the worst came to the worst and something had gone wrong there are several other options:
1. Holland abounds with yards that will lift you out to fix it yourself.
2. With many stern glands that use packing sections of moderate dimensions it is not too difficult to pull out all except the last turn when afloat and replace them on the water. Make up the packings before starting and the job can be done in a couple of minutes. I have a 1-inch shaft and 1.5 inch OD stern tube and have frequently pulled the complete stern gland assembly forward to check alignment. A fair amount of water comes in but not more than can easily be controlled with a bilge pump, and a couple of turns of rag will virtually stop it altogether.

david_bagshaw

Visit site
Unless things have changed a lot.....

I use to change the packing when afloat, not much water comes in anyway, especially if you give the shaft a good greasing first. stuffing box was a good 2 feet under the wayer line.

In any case the packing is unlikely to need to be changed if it was ok last year.

David
www.euroboating.net

SteveA

Visit site
I would agree with Brian - if it was OK last year why change it. I've not needed to change the stern packing since I bought our yacht 6 years ago and it's still dry. I also see no reason for these types of packed gland to drip, just so long as it's not getting hot.
Hope this helps. Steve.