Storm 22

Daisy Jones

Visit site
Me and me boyfriend are wanting a traler sailer. I would like to have some info on the above, which he is saying is good.

Have you got any expereience of this boat? Also what else is there. Thanks.

Daisy

neilf39

www.konsortkoto.wordpress.com
Hi,

There are some details on:

http://www.swukmarinesales.co.uk/storm-22.aspx

I had a look at one at the boatshow and thought it was ok but did not like the internal layout that much. It will sail like a big dinghy I should think. I have a Viva 700 as I went for space, although it sails quite well, if a little tender. I looked at the Classic 700 trailer sailer which sailed really well with its heavy daggerboard but was a bit cramped below for me or I would have gone for that.

There are quite a few similar trailer sailers so its a matter of what you are really looking for, space versus sailing ability versus quality. I went and trial sailed in several before making a decision.

Regards
Neil

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Me and me boyfriend are wanting a traler sailer. I would like to have some info on the above, which he is saying is good.

Have you got any expereience of this boat? Also what else is there. Thanks.

Daisy

It sounds like you don't take your boyfriend's word for anything and have decided to check in case he is just talking bs?

Are you related to my wife by any chance? ;)

Richard

DownWest

Visit site
Lots depends. Will it be your first boat? How much experience do you have?.Do you intend to daysail, i.e. launch and recovery the same day?
As it weighs just over a ton and has high(ish) freeboard, expect it to react quickly to wind. Bit like the dinghy mentioned above.

No prices on the website after a quick look ( very little info in fact). So if your experience is limited, my first thought would be to buy a well known older design (Seal, Anderson 22) to get a feel at a much lower price and a boat that will sell on quickly if you move up.
A

Tranona

Visit site
These are what is known as "Lake Sailors" as they are designed for sailing in Polish lakes and other sheltered waters. They are Category C which means they are suitable for estuary and inshore waters. Expect it to be a lively boat. As already noted, if you are first time buyers then there are many older and much cheaper boats that are arguably better to learn the ropes on.

Seajet

Visit site
As a fan of the Anderson 22, I would agree she'll be a lot better sailing boat ( with infinitely better interior and seaworthiness too ! ), but I wouldn't call her a trailer sailer, just too big and heavy.

By the time one had trailed an Anderson to a slip, launched and rigged her, it would be time to go home again, and that's not counting the usual slipway problems of fighting through crowds of other boats with the same idea, somewhere to park car and trailer securely, etc.

Trailing home for the winter sounds great, but ALL lift keel boats should be kept high enough ashore to allow dropping the keel for maintenance; it can be done by adapting a trailer, but takes a bit of organisation & some engineering knowledge.

There is also the snag of maintaining a trailer re. corrosion if immersing it in sea water, and somewhere to store it for the summer.

I and a lot of others keep our boats on simple high trestles at the sailing clubs during the winter.

I have been on a few trips with people towing A22's, and even skilled drivers with RangeRovers found it took a lot of attention; trailable, but not trailer sailer.

Personally I think the whole trailer sailer idea is rather bogus, either have a dinghy, or a cruiser on a mooring !

Last edited:

Lucky Duck

Visit site
No prices on the website after a quick look ( very little info in fact). So if your experience is limited, my first thought would be to buy a well known older design (Seal, Anderson 22) to get a feel at a much lower price and a boat that will sell on quickly if you move up.
A

£34,000 :eek: http://www.clippermarine.co.uk/clipper-brokerage/listings.php?sortorder=pricedesc&keyword=storm

I would be seriously tempted to either look at non trailer-sailers at that price point or if that type of boat appeals save a few quid and go with a newish First 21.7 or the like.

Victoria Sponge

Visit site
We had a Benny first 21. We had some fun with her, but boy was she lively. When we sold her the chap who bought her only took her out once, then sold her again.

Lakesailor

Visit site
These are what is known as "Lake Sailors" as they are designed for sailing in Polish lakes
I have never been to a Polish Lake.

What you say is right though.

Daisy, do you want the same as your boyfriend?
The Storm 22 looks a racer. It would sit well in the Frostbite Series on Windermere.

Is this the sort of thing you have in mind (watch at least the first minute)

If you're is looking to get into sailing in a more gentle way as Tranona suggests something a bit
A) Cheaper and older
B) More sedate
....may be a good starting point.
Have a look here http://www.go-sail.co.uk/hometrailer.asp

22ft and 1350 kgs all up on the trailer sounds like 1600kgs with motor and gear on board.
That's going to need a largish saloon/people carrier or a 4x4 or Transit-type van to stay legal.

Last edited:

ReggieK

Visit site
If you had a Bene 211 and found it too lively, but if the size was right, I would suggest the Etap 21i. Similar size, better design below and will not frighten you. Also very trailerable.

Daisy Jones

Visit site
Thanks for advice. We're not getting a storm now, we looking at other stuff. The reason for wanting a traler sailor was so we could keep in at home. The cost of keeping boats is a blinking fortune.