Stored New Engine Oil

jaminb

Visit site
Just gearing up to change my Yanmar oil and filter. Found 2.5 litre in the original container in the garage which must have been left over from last years change. The engine does not use a drop so no top ups needed this year. Yanmar oil is £10 / per litre.

Is it ok to use or will it have degraded over the year? Garage is dry and cool.

Thanks

oldgit

Visit site
Dreadful stuff. Post it to me and I'll dispose of it for you. :)
A few years ago a number of 20L drums of oil 15/40 appeared , most of it with a Volvo Penta label on the side, a few with the labels of other reputable and less reputable companies, all had the security seals intact. VD3 was the spec at the time.
Seller, assured all on his mothers life, that it was bankrupt stock and was cutting his own throat by selling it at £20.00 a 20L drum.
Some bought several drums. :)
Over the next few years many boats used this oil , which suspect may have "oldish" to start with, remember dire predications of disaster , from certain forumites about using the oil.
Suspect all of it has been used up over the last decade and cannot recall a single instance of any reports of problems . ?

B27

Visit site
Tidying out my garage before a house move, I found some old engine oil. Could have been sat on the shelf for ten years or more.
It looked like some additives or something had settled out at the bottom of the can.

Refueler

Visit site

If only it were that simple ... but yes that's the generic basic Fraction Tower ...

But fractionating will also depend on Upper and Lower Cat Cracking additives ... and of course the grade / type of crude ... as each refinery is geared to a specific range or type of crude. Plus there are a few intermediate products missed out of the list !!

Refueler

Visit site
Additives can comprise 25% of a good quality modern engine oil. Even very basic machinery oil such as Shell Turbo T has about 4%, corrosion and oxidation inhibitor.

The Lub Oil extracted from refining is what I used to ship hundreds of thousands of tons of .... and its called BASE OIL ... not Lub. We shipped up to 10 different grades - which then independent Lub Oil Co's would add their components to .. detergents, anti ox, Visco modifiers etc.
One of my clients then - had the contract for London Transport as example ... you'd be surprised how much they went through !

Stemar

Visit site
One of my clients then - had the contract for London Transport as example ... you'd be surprised how much they went through !
I got curious.

According to Wikipedia, there are about 8600 buses in London. Assuming an oil change 3 times a year (pure guess, but I wouldn't be surprised to find it was double that) and 8 gallons a pop, that's close to a million litres a year!

Refueler

Visit site
I got curious.

According to Wikipedia, there are about 8600 buses in London. Assuming an oil change 3 times a year (pure guess, but I wouldn't be surprised to find it was double that) and 8 gallons a pop, that's close to a million litres a year!

Don't forget Underground trains and all the support gear ... cars ... trucks .... etc.

When I got the contract to cover Quantity and Quality of the base oils to supply ... I was shocked initially ...

My company covered that for about 7 years .... till client himself lost the contract with LT.

wonkywinch

Visit site
I flew big jets for a living, average consumption of the 3 types I flew about 7 tonnes an hour, got 17,000 hours so that's me personally responsible for burning 150 million litres of Jet A1 :rolleyes: To balance my carbon footprint, I walk (and sail) everywhere now!

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
I flew big jets for a living, average consumption of the 3 types I flew about 7 tonnes an hour, got 17,000 hours so that's me personally responsible for burning 150 million litres of Jet A1 :rolleyes: To balance my carbon footprint, I walk (and sail) everywhere now!
Can understand why Concorde didn't make sense financially.

Can see why planes don't fly directly from A to B sometimes . Headwinds ?