Stopping Volvo MD2010 - alternative?

SiteSurfer

Visit site
As the title suggests, at the weekend my daughter struggled to stop the engine in a semi-emergency and I was wondering if there was any other way to stop the engine other than the pull-the-knob-hard routine.

SiteSurfer

Visit site
Thanks RichardS and Duncan - good points. Jonathan - if the engine was even remotely accessable by an 11 year old it might be possible, assuming that she knew what and where to stuff said rag :)
The cable takes quite a tortorous route and it may be that it could be eased, my ideal though would be to put a solenoid or something in to make it a lot easier.

VicS

Visit site
As the title suggests, at the weekend my daughter struggled to stop the engine in a semi-emergency and I was wondering if there was any other way to stop the engine other than the pull-the-knob-hard routine.

Stuff a rag in the air intake

Is that possible on an MD2010?

You could fit a solenoid stop button rather than the cable but it'd probably be easier and cheaper to lubricate the existing stop cable so as to make it easier to pull.

+1 for checking, cleaning and lubricating the cable and linkages at the engine end to make it easy to operate !

VicS

Visit site
Thanks RichardS and Duncan - good points. Jonathan - if the engine was even remotely accessable by an 11 year old it might be possible, assuming that she knew what and where to stuff said rag :)
The cable takes quite a tortorous route and it may be that it could be eased, my ideal though would be to put a solenoid or something in to make it a lot easier.

AFAIk there is no reason why you should not fit an emergency stop solenoid valve in the fuel line if you can find the appropriate parts .

You will need a normally open valve, ie one that requires power to close it and a push button (with normally open contacts.) A suitable push button will be easy to find. A suitable valve may require a bit more effort to find.

Second choice would be a valve that requires power on to hold it open. It could then be powered from the" ignition switch"... probably enabling a car type system where just switching off the "ignition" switch stops the engine to be fitted

Visit site
I've got an 11-yr old on board right now, he will be starting the engine later, (a more traditional marine engine), but under close supervision, he's unfamiliar with exposed flywheels etc. which can take your arm off.
I had an MD2010 before, I remember it needed a firm tug on the stop knob as well. I can agree with checking the run of the stop cable and lubing it, nobody ever maintains them..

SiteSurfer

Visit site
It was out of gear already - however - due to the nature of the incident I instructed my daughter to stop the engine in order to forestall any further issues which may have occurred with people moving around in a small cockpit (my wife fell off the pontoon).

Normally she can just about manage it, but in the excitement she was trying to pull it upwards and not 'outwards' - hence why it would have been a lot easier for her (or anyone else in that age bracket who I might take along) to simply hit a kill switch.

SiteSurfer

Visit site
What was the emergency that simply taking the engine out of gear was not sufficient?

Jonathan

I've answered above, but essentially it was a double safety precaution. Person in water in close proximity, out of gear and engine off whilst moving around cockpit. The gear lever is at ankle height and VERY easy to knock into gear.

SiteSurfer

Visit site
AFAIk there is no reason why you should not fit an emergency stop solenoid valve in the fuel line if you can find the appropriate parts .

You will need a normally open valve, ie one that requires power to close it and a push button (with normally open contacts.) A suitable push button will be easy to find. A suitable valve may require a bit more effort to find.

Second choice would be a valve that requires power on to hold it open. It could then be powered from the" ignition switch"... probably enabling a car type system where just switching off the "ignition" switch stops the engine to be fitted

VicS, thank you for your answer - because I am to engines what Bernard Manning was to hang gliding.. would this not cause me issues with the fuel line afterwards? Maybe not - but I was thinking maybe a fuel bleed issue as there would be no fuel in the line after a point. Perhaps I'm overthinking this and the pull to stop mechanism simply cuts the fuel - I was thinking decompression and stuff.

prv

Visit site
Perhaps I'm overthinking this and the pull to stop mechanism simply cuts the fuel - I was thinking decompression and stuff.

They generally move the "throttle" (it's not technically a throttle on a diesel) lower than the normal idle position obtainable with the lever, below the point at which the engine is self-sustaining. The net result is to cut off the fuel to the injectors, but the exact behaviour is probably different to starving the incoming supply.

I don't know that particular engine, but on our old Yanmar and new Volvo, the stop lever on the engine required very little effort to move. The stiffness is probably in your remote cable, and perhaps a replacement is in order. You can get them fairly cheaply from motorsport suppliers for setting off fire extinguishers and the like.

Pete

TNT

Visit site
Due to the nature of diesels they do not stop instantly, most rely on cutting off the fuel supply and use what is still in the injector lines till they run out or the pressure drops. Modern engines usually have a solenoid at the fuel injection pump and stop the fuel at source, once there is no pressure in the lines the engine stops. On older engines its possible to fit an external solenoid linked in to the stop lever at the fuel injection pump and have a switch or lever or anything that you want that will either supply power to activate the solenoid or break the circuit to allow the solenoid to spring back to close the lever. The solenoids come in normally open or normally closed types, all this means is that its either activated when ignition is on or activated when ignition is off and this depends on what you want to fit. It can be a big red stop button fitted anywhere that will act as an emergency stop and would be good for children to use, as with all diesels though it would have to be held in till the engine stopped or a fixed type switch would be needed, ie, push it in and it stays in, probably better in your case with children.
Solenoids are readily available and are not expensive but will require some brackets and wiring, not complicated with some vasic knowledge.