ST 60 sun covers needed

Rafiki

Visit site
There was I modelling away and someone's done it already. It looks like it would do the job. If I was making from scratch I might round off all the edges but that's me being picky

So I am sitting in 40degs in the Aegean while my printer is at home (SWMBO has banned the concept of the little backpack sized Ultimaker for the boat). So will have to wait 10 days to print out this model and see how it fits a display (I have an old one to take home)

Software says 13 hours to print at best quality. 13m is about £3 of PLA filament. More for polycarbonate

I will feed back in a couple of weeks

Tudorsailor

13 hours? Is that right?

Hadenough

Visit site
Old type not the ST60+.

Anyone know where I can buy these please.

New or second-hand will do.

How many do you need? I have four, one unused but with a slight ding to the side, two good but badly faded, one of these has a 5mm hole drilled in the top (retaining string) and one which is good but not too badly faded. PM me if still needed.

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
Can you do ABS? As I understand it PLA, while the easiest to print, and making a nice finish, is brittle so scores low on toughness. ABS is better in this regard and the poorer finish can be ameliorated by treatmet with Acetone.

Innofil - one of the filament manufacturers - has announced a new filament called ASA. They say ASA is part of the ABS family and is ideal for outdoor usage due to its properties: resistance to UV and toughness.

ASA is a variant of ABS that was developed back in the 70’s primarily to meet the needs of the automotive industry for a polymer with improved weather resistance. It should resist yellowing and aging better than regular ABS. It’s BASF tradename of Luran.

So it’s actually quite an old material in terms of it’s development but obviously new to the 3D printing scene

I am trying to get hold of some to test.

TudorSailor

mcetap

Visit site
There was I modelling away and someone's done it already. It looks like it would do the job. If I was making from scratch I might round off all the edges but that's me being picky

So I am sitting in 40degs in the Aegean while my printer is at home (SWMBO has banned the concept of the little backpack sized Ultimaker for the boat). So will have to wait 10 days to print out this model and see how it fits a display (I have an old one to take home)

Software says 13 hours to print at best quality. 13m is about £3 of PLA filament. More for polycarbonate

I will feed back in a couple of weeks

Tudorsailor

PS You can opt to get the stl file printed commercially. An online quote gives the cost as £49 for black nylon
Hey, that's my design! I've made it just to see if it would work. It did.

Mine prints in 5.5 hours (including my boat name on the front that's not included in the design on Thingiverse), but I can only print PLA which is not ideally suited for the job. That said, I've printed three and all of them are still in one piece and presentable after two months of alternating rain and sunshine.

BTW I will upload a new design with rounded edges which I've already made ;-). --> Done.

Last edited:

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
Hey, that's my design! I've made it just to see if it would work. It did.

Mine prints in 5.5 hours (including my boat name on the front that's not included in the design on Thingiverse), but I can only print PLA which is not ideally suited for the job. That said, I've printed three and all of them are still in one piece and presentable after two months of alternating rain and sunshine.

BTW I will upload a new design with rounded edges which I've already made ;-)

Well, who'd have thought that there was another 3D modeller on the forum! What software did you use to make the cover. I am using 123Design - which is no longer available. What printer do you have that only prints PLA? I have an Ultimaker
Did you see my last post about UV resistant ASA?

Anyone, nice model and well done for putting onto Thingiverse.

TudorSailor

mcetap

Visit site
Well, who'd have thought that there was another 3D modeller on the forum! What software did you use to make the cover. I am using 123Design - which is no longer available. What printer do you have that only prints PLA? I have an Ultimaker
Did you see my last post about UV resistant ASA?

Anyone, nice model and well done for putting onto Thingiverse.

TudorSailor
I'm also using 123Design but am looking for an alternative (one that is not Cloud-based which many are). I'm just moving on from printing toys, gadgets and pre-designed things to designing my own. So far I've designed a kill switch key for my Suzuki outboard (also on Thingiverse), a cap to protect my CP300 plotter cable when it's not connected and ST60 covers. My printer is a FlashForge Finder which is a really nice and high-quality printer but limited to PLA. I don't think it will do ABS or ASA.

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
I'm also using 123Design but am looking for an alternative (one that is not Cloud-based which many are). I'm just moving on from printing toys, gadgets and pre-designed things to designing my own. So far I've designed a kill switch key for my Suzuki outboard (also on Thingiverse), a cap to protect my CP300 plotter cable when it's not connected and ST60 covers. My printer is a FlashForge Finder which is a really nice and high-quality printer but limited to PLA. I don't think it will do ABS or ASA.

I have made a few things such as:
Replacement rest for spinnaker pole against the mast.
End caps for plastic tubing to allow me to replace holding tank Sanigard filter for £10 instead of £100
Covers for cockpit stereo speakers
Boxes to hold AAA,AA and C sized batteries
Widget to hold shaving mirror in place
Keyrings with boatname that floats
Spools to hold various lines and threads

I have printed in Polycarbonate for outdoor things as I thought it might resist UV better than PLA. However the introduction of ASA make solve the issue of what to use for outdoor things.

I continue to use 123Design as it is local and not cloud based.

TudorSailor