Southampton Boat Show

Helidan

Visit site
Might be a silly question but do you have to pre-book onboard viewings of the larger motorboats/yachts etc? The last time I visited the show was back in the 90s but my wife has expressed an interest in attending this year.

Bouba

Visit site
Might be a silly question but do you have to pre-book onboard viewings of the larger motorboats/yachts etc? The last time I visited the show was back in the 90s but my wife has expressed an interest in attending this year.
When the wife wants to attend a boat show that’s really good news...it means you’ll be going home with a new boat 👍👍👍👍
Every boat show is different and each manufacturer is different...but I would definitely book in advance with as many boats as possible....you might get a lot of champagne in a lot of lounges. I don’t know Southampton but it can be difficult getting on anything over sixtyish feet if they don’t know you

wonkywinch

Visit site
I'd probably start dialogue with the agents now and tell them you plan to make a final decision at the show. That should help with their interest in you.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
If I was seriously looking to buy a new and expensive boat the last place on earth I'd be looking at them is at Southampton Boat Show. I'd be calling the manufactures/agents and arranging visits to see them where you can quietly look over a vessel and discuss you requirements.

Bouba

Visit site
If I was seriously looking to buy a new and expensive boat the last place on earth I'd be looking at them is at Southampton Boat Show. I'd be calling the manufactures/agents and arranging visits to see them where you can quietly look over a vessel and discuss you requirements.
In a fun day out you can see a lot of boats at a boat show....comparing boats that are next to each other is a lot easier

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
A boat show might be where you start the search. After that, I’d do what you suggest, with the builders, to make sure I was getting what I thought I was. We have bought 2 dinghys at boat shows, but that is so much simpler, especially if they are factory one designs.

ashtead

Visit site
Maybe depends in the brands you are after and your view of larger . I haven’t ever viewed a Feadship at Soton but maybe see if one will be there? Surely a trip to Poole to see sun seekers might be of interest? Initial reasearch might serve you remove brands tou don’t like etc -maybe a list of choices might via this forum elicit helpful dealers who won’t subsequently pester you.

Bouba

Visit site
I would contact all the boat exhibitors (and brokers who might be attending).....you never know what boat show offer they have nor what they might have on their books that they are happy to get rid of. Sales people at a trade show are on a sales frenzy....might as well take advantage of it. Expect free tickets and the VIP treatment....and no appointment is obligatory so make as many as you want....take two or three days if necessary (but don’t over tax the wife....pay attention to her every whim....boat shows are a delicate time for husbands wishing to get a new boat)

zoidberg

Visit site
I've noted, at So'ton Boat Shows, a rather large number of suntanned and blazered individuals hanging about the many exhibits-boats and their posh pontoons. Dozens of the boogrs!

Where do they all come from? And where do they all go back to, after the show is over...?

Tranona

Visit site
Boat shows have their place in the buying process. Now that most boats are built abroad and to order, often the only place you can see a new boat is at the show unless you strike lucky and the dealer has either a stock boat (rare now) or a customer boat you can see.

I have bought 2 new boats and in both cases the boat show was the starting point to see the alternatives before the short list was drawn up. Next the more private viewings of the specific models on the short list. In the first purchase I had to fly out to Athens to see the actual model I finally bought because it was not available in the UK. Second time around involved 4 boats of which 3 were customer boats and one was newly arrived for commissioning.

I know people who have made the final decision at the boat show, having done their homework then taken advantage of the show "offers" to seal the deal.

There is no "one way" for the process to go. Just like any other big purchase it can take a lot of time to get to the final deal, not least because actually viewing boats individually is time consuming. Even though I live in Poole it took over a month to get to see all 4 contenders (in March/April) in Hamble, Gosport, Lymington and Poole whereas I saw all 4 within 5 minutes walk of each other at Southampton the previous September before I decided to take the plunge. I also considered 3 or 4 others at the show that did not make the short list.

Boat shows can be fun too