South Coast anchorages

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I know it's of topic but that's fab. Belaying from a cockpit! We tried to do something less outrageous in Loch Scavaig a few years back but the North wind would not budge.
It was a fun day, and quite technical. Once the climbers were off the boat, moved away from the cliff. As they abseiled back down onto the boat moved back to the cliff, thankfully I was able to gab the ropes and pull them into the cockpit.

During the day the swell had got up and 'Captain Bob' had given strict instructions to leave the anchorage, but I decided to stay to allow the departure. Both climbers went an odd shade of green while we motor sailed to Brixham. Very sadly, Nick the lead climber was killed climbing in the Avon Gorge a year later.

GHA

Visit site
Just got the last copy, a second hand one but in good condition so I'm happy with that.
Just flipped through my copy looking at a handful of random suggestions, every one plus more featured in both noforeignland & navily, lots more options these days & more up to date .
Still nice to have the book on the shelf though 😎

Good few pages available on google >
Yachting Monthly's Channel Havens

Last edited:

KeithMD

Visit site
"Starehole Bay on behind Bolt Head in the entrance to Salcombe"
+1
Or, if the wind is in the opposite direction (from the east), go round Bold Tail to Hope Cove
Google Maps
https://www.noforeignland.com/place/6140810720444416

Not quite an anchorage on the coast (like all the ones mentioned so far), but still an anchorage.
For a quiet peaceful place with no tides and winds to worry about, up the Tamar and Lynher to Dandy Hole
Google Maps
https://www.noforeignland.com/place/5492559788900352
Even at the height of summer, very few yachts there.
But do enter & exit at high tide!
Go by tender or kayak up to St.Germans for supplies.

rb_boat

Visit site
The following files may be of interest to you:
Waypoints.csv
Waypoints.gpx
The first is a text file and the second is a gpx version of it that can be loaded onto a chartplotter.

They include 138 approach waypoints for the coastline between Christchurch and the Isles of Scilly. These approach waypoints are effectively "virtual" safe water marks to seaward of an anchorage or harbour. They located on a contour line that can be approached safely from offshore before the final pilotage needs to begin. By being on a contour, it allows the current height of tide to be readily calculated. This is particularly useful if anchoring, when the rise to high water and fall to low water are often needed.

The alpha numeric numbering system mirrors that in a book but is preceded by the letter "z" to isolate them from those already on your system. As an aside, the book is available from Solent and Dorset based Boatfolk marinas. There is charge that covers printing costs and a donation to a Sea Scout Group on the Isle of Wight and yes, it does discuss MCZ's.

Note there are also 30 passage waypoints included that are referred to in the text of the book. I would not advise that these be "daisy-chained" together into a route without first checking along it for hazards.

I hope that helps.