South Coast anchorages

NPMR

Visit site
My plan this year is to try as many new anchorages as I can.

Sailing from our base in Falmouth, I possibly know many of the traditional ones already - Helford, Cornish s. coast, Plymouth and environs and some small ones in between.

But I have heard of some likely ones outside Brixham and Torquay, that we'll look at.

But there must be some tried and tested ones, possibly lots of them, that I haven't heard of. That don't get mentioned in cruising books or even left out of them for 'space' reasons or other.

Anybody care to share what they might be?

johnalison

Visit site
Not really my area but I’ll start the ball rolling with Portmellon. Sandy bottom that I’ve only used as a lunch stop but I remember seeing yachts anchored there overnight when I was a child.

SaltyC

Visit site
My plan this year is to try as many new anchorages as I can.

Sailing from our base in Falmouth, I possibly know many of the traditional ones already - Helford, Cornish s. coast, Plymouth and environs and some small ones in between.

But I have heard of some likely ones outside Brixham and Torquay, that we'll look at.

But there must be some tried and tested ones, possibly lots of them, that I haven't heard of. That don't get mentioned in cruising books or even left out of them for 'space' reasons or other.

Anybody care to share what they might be?
All depending on wind direction and conditions,
Just West of Portmellon is Goran Haven, just east of Fowey, Great Lantic Bay.
In the right conditions a buoy off Polperro.
Cawsand Bay at the entrance to Plymouth sound and many up the Tamar.
Starehole Bay on behind Bolt Head in the entrance to Salcombe (but away from the wallet munching Harbour Master)
Outside Brixham in Fishcombe Bay.
Plus many others depending on conditions.

Blueboatman

Visit site
Sounds great fun
In settled conditions and over a ground that won’t foul your anchor you will find enough on your way east ..

In days of sail it was not uncommon to anchor anywhere - using common sense - to await a fair tide .
Looe and Beer I expect you know
Off Weymouth beach
Etc
Everyone -including me - has their personal quiet favourites too
You will find yours too

doug748

Visit site
In suitable winds:

Kiberick Cove just behind Gull Rock
St Austell Bay West side or East side off Polkerris where there is a small harbour, sand, a pub + bistro.
Polhawn Cove under the fort and coastguard cottages, small beach
Stoke Beach Bigbury Bay also Mouth of the Erme off Mothecombe Beach, tight entrance.
Elender Cove, right under Prawle Point, tiny.

Here I go with the usual plug:

All courtesy of Robin Brandon's South England Pilot Vol IV:

9780852880678: Start Point to Land's End (Chapter 4) (South England Pilot) - Brandon, Robin: 0852880677 - AbeBooks

50 years out of date but still head and shoulders above anything else available for this sort of thing. He lists, with chartlets, over 100 offshore anchorages (ie not including those up rivers etc) between Start Point and Land's End.

NPMR

Visit site
Thank you for suggestions (So far?) And Doug748 for reminder of a publication I had seen earlier in life and completely forgotten.

It feels like we might have hit on something interesting to replace the EU trip we can't bring ourselves to be bothered with this year- it used to be so easy!

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Is that the couple who bought a boat a few years ago and posted a few minor issues major dramas on YouTube? I have to admit that I gave up with them after watching a few episodes when I realised they were milking it for everything they could.

That site has one significant bit of data missing, a lat and long for each of the listed anchorages. Lantic Bay is one of my Cornish favorites, but I do think they are missing the point when you read things such as, 'Well, it's perfect as long as you don't need to pop to the shop as there's nothing close by at all if you want to dingy and walk'.

Getting back to the OP's question. I love looking at the chart, consulting the weather gods, and seeing what is possible.

Here is a still from some 'extreme anchoring' I did a few years back. With my dodgy knees I volunteered for anchor watch while the skipper and the rest of the crew decided to see what the view was from the top of Berry Head while I drunk tea and enjoyed the sunshine.

BerryHead.jpg

lustyd

Visit site
We found Navily (mobile app) useful on our cruise last summer. It has pins for anchorages on the map, reviews and pictures from people who anchored there, and you can also message people who are currently there to ask what it's like (they may not reply, and not everyone shows their position). The reviews seemed pretty good to me, and we left candid feedback on the ones we stayed in.

andsarkit

Visit site
1677838180078.png
Channel Havens is a cruising guide with a difference. Recognising that many of us would like to sail away from the crowd, Ken Endean introduces the reader to beautiful, unfrequented places within the Western English Channel, from the Solent to the West Country, Channel Islands and Northern France. Here are sandy bays, coves, reef anchorages and the upper reaches of river estuaries - places neglected by most pilot books - where one can experience the sense of discovery and adventure that is more usually associated with faraway cruising. Anyone who is attracted by the dramatic scenery of unspoilt coastal waters will treasure this guide from an experienced sailor who has gone before. PB 166 pages.

Boathook

Visit site
View attachment 152301
Channel Havens is a cruising guide with a difference. Recognising that many of us would like to sail away from the crowd, Ken Endean introduces the reader to beautiful, unfrequented places within the Western English Channel, from the Solent to the West Country, Channel Islands and Northern France. Here are sandy bays, coves, reef anchorages and the upper reaches of river estuaries - places neglected by most pilot books - where one can experience the sense of discovery and adventure that is more usually associated with faraway cruising. Anyone who is attracted by the dramatic scenery of unspoilt coastal waters will treasure this guide from an experienced sailor who has gone before. PB 166 pages.
An interesting purchase i thought. £45 from amazon as a book or £17 for a kindle version. I will wait ........

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Here is a still from some 'extreme anchoring' I did a few years back. With my dodgy knees I volunteered for anchor watch while the skipper and the rest of the crew decided to see what the view was from the top of Berry Head while I drunk tea and enjoyed the sunshine.

View attachment 152276
I know it's of topic but that's fab. Belaying from a cockpit! We tried to do something less outrageous in Loch Scavaig a few years back but the North wind would not budge.

andsarkit

Visit site
An interesting purchase i thought. £45 from amazon as a book or £17 for a kindle version. I will wait ........
I paid £14.99 a few years ago and it is now £18.99 from Amazon and some used copies from around £10. I can recommend getting a copy if you can.