Sound of Islay - what's it like normally?

MM5AHO

Visit site
Went thru S of Islay last Sept, (Oban to Rhu.)
Originally I'd intended to go west of Islay, but after hours bashing against high winds and waves, I was tired (singlehanded), so decided to return round the north end of Islay and go through the sound. I stopped the night at the north end.
IMG_3533.jpg

and listened to the noises of the distillery while I made a meal and had a sleep.

IMG_3534.jpg

I guess this boat didn't make it?

IMG_3537.jpg

I wondered what this was? A new pipeline on Jura?

IMG_3540.jpg

Noticed that some clouds had holes in them...

IMG_3542.jpg

This distillery seemed to be shut down for maintenance.

IMG_3544.jpg

So southward toward Gigha to wait the time to round MoK.

Past this..
IMG_3545.jpg

to find Gigha like this..

IMG_3554.jpg

and this

IMG_3556.jpg

In right tide and wind S o I seems calm, but there's a good current and wind against tide would be uncomfortable I'd think.

A1Sailor

Visit site
The wreck on the point at the south end of Bunnahabhain Bay provides a bit of shelter! It looks much the same as it did in 1986...
I don't know what the work being done on Islay (EDIT - I mean Jura...) is - but the sound is a development site for tidal power generation. Anybody know the latest?

EDIT:
See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-12767211
_51712069_tidal_turbines464x390.gif

The shoreside development does seem to be on Jura.

Last edited:

claymore

Visit site
That is the Fleetwood trawler, 'Wyre Majestic'
She was on passage home from Oban, it was foggy and the skipper was in his bunk, drunk as a lord.
They didn't keep far enough left going into the sound. Fortunately there was no loss of life but the Skipper never worked again.

ffiill

Visit site
Must admit that places like that scare me-I have run through Dorus Mhor with everything wrong and felt the pull and heard the roar of Corryvreckan.
Mind you I quite happily wend my way through Kylerea! and I used to pick my way around the sandbanks of Morecambe Bay so perhaps its familiarity?

A1Sailor

Visit site
Must admit that places like that scare me-I have run through Dorus Mhor with everything wrong and felt the pull and heard the roar of Corryvreckan.

Me too - but it adds to the "fun". The first time I went through Cuan Sound from East to West I was a bit late... Simply aimed to the right of the rock in the middle and closed my eyes while going "down river".

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
IMG_3544.jpg

Not sure, but that looks like Port Ellen, which is no longer a distillery but acts as a maltings for one of the big (Diageo?) brands.

I recognise that view; I was moored at the other end of the jetty, that's my Motorhome you can just see below.

SDC12114.jpg

A1Sailor

Visit site
IMG_3544.jpg

Not sure, but that looks like Port Ellen, which is no longer a distillery but acts as a maltings for one of the big (Diageo?) brands.

I recognise that view; I was moored at the other end of the jetty, that's my Motorhome you can just see below.

SDC12114.jpg

Caol Ila is on the Sound of Islay, north of Port Askaig. It isn't at Port Ellen.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Ahh, I couldn't see the name & only saw the distillery from the car park & inside when we were there. Cheers. Apparently (we were told) it's the biggest producer on the island - much of the output going into Johnnie Walker Black Label.