Solent to Newhaven in one?

Visit site
I'm not so sure - a larger boat reacts more slowly so you have time to see what is going on, and you can spend much more time on it as you are able to go much further afield. I think there is also a lot more to cruising than the sails and you learn a lot of that on a bigger boat that has to be house and hobby.

yes we are more of that view being competant dinghy sailors and tourers, we have sailed and camped all over the place in a dinghy, but a bigger boat makes most things easier, if less immediate and involving, and involves a whole new set of challenges beyond the raw theory and practice of sail. Berthing, manoeuvering under power, anchoring, passage planning and execution, maintenance and repair, cooking, ablutions, establishing a routine for spending extended periods onboard, all these things are what we are most interested in experiencing and refining next. So keen are we to get it right eventually we have rehearsed small space living 24/7 for the last three years in a shed at the bottom of our garden, eschewing the luxuries of bricks and mortar and leaving the house as the kids' domain. That has taught us a lot about space management, storage, and a tidy disciplined routine, but it is still very easy on land compared to on a boat, so we will begin living three days a week on the boat within a very short period as we refit it, that way at least we will have some actual experience of it internally to hone the layout as we go.

dom

Visit site
yes we are more of that view being competant dinghy sailors and tourers, we have sailed and camped all over the place in a dinghy, but a bigger boat makes most things easier, if less immediate and involving, and involves a whole new set of challenges beyond the raw theory and practice of sail. Berthing, manoeuvering under power, anchoring, passage planning and execution, maintenance and repair, cooking, ablutions, establishing a routine for spending extended periods onboard, all these things are what we are most interested in experiencing and refining next. So keen are we to get it right eventually we have rehearsed small space living 24/7 for the last three years in a shed at the bottom of our garden, eschewing the luxuries of bricks and mortar and leaving the house as the kids' domain. That has taught us a lot about space management, storage, and a tidy disciplined routine, but it is still very easy on land compared to on a boat, so we will begin living three days a week on the boat within a very short period as we refit it, that way at least we will have some actual experience of it internally to hone the layout as we go.

Good on you, your passage planning was spot on; I love sailing the South Coast in a good northerly, good wind, flat seas, what’s not to like? Except the cold at this time of year, which you mention and which we all endure at best :ambivalence:

Soulution, have you a heater? If so store a spare fleece and gloves/over-mittens in a dedicated warm space close to a vent. This will be dry and warm so one can regularly change. Also, concentrate on all parts of your body, socks, thermals, underlayer on legs as well as chest (Long Jon fleece is great), good oilies, hat, balaclava, and clear goggles when beating into a winter blow. Re gloves, forget the xpensive yotty stuff; buy decentish gloves, then use larger-size NATO spare stock mits on top. Something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Gloves-German-Army-Collectable-Military-Surplus-Clothing/70988/bn_79545394

Finally, if vis is good, you may wish to keep inshore on your return as the South Downs is pretty scenic. Not as scenic as the rough old Jurassic Coast though, also a pussycat in northerlies. Lulworth is a great winter stop and loads more. ....... once you’ve mastered the cold!

Have a fab time :encouragement:;)

Edit: watch for pots in the Eastern Looe area!

RupertW

Visit site

I will admit I wouldn't be keen on living aboard without mains so good luck to you. Fine in the Summer months, especially if you put in solar or use the engine quite a lot but heating and keeping the boat dry is cheap with a fan heater (and ideally a dehumifier for cold nights and particularly when cooking whilst its bucketing down outside) but heating is expensive any other way. On your wooden boat with your skills you may be able to get a properly flued solid burner going which would be very nice.

Seajet

Visit site
Solent Clown,

I lived on my 22' boat for a few weeks in a marina in the early 1980's.

It was glorious, we were within five minutes walking distance of the Lord Raglan and Sussex Brewery pubs in the days when pubs offerered simple pasties and pies for a couple of quid, before they went all Michelin Star...

We had a mains link and fan heater for dry warmth, barely used the gas cooker, but all three of us sufferred mild bronchitis type breathing snags and the boat had mildew; if I did it again I'd leave the hatches on vent position if not wide open in daytime.

yerffoeg

Visit site
Agree with FD, why not make it easy for yourself and overnight in Littlehampton or Shoreham? Both are interesting harbours with a lot of character. Littlehampton is easier to get in and out of than some claim, although you need a decently-powered engine if a spring tide is running.

Visit site
I will admit I wouldn't be keen on living aboard without mains so good luck to you. Fine in the Summer months, especially if you put in solar or use the engine quite a lot but heating and keeping the boat dry is cheap with a fan heater (and ideally a dehumifier for cold nights and particularly when cooking whilst its bucketing down outside) but heating is expensive any other way. On your wooden boat with your skills you may be able to get a properly flued solid burner going which would be very nice.

stove already built! We also ordered one of those chinese diesel heaters. In our shed everything is 12v save a kettle,and hopefully the chinese diesel heater will do the trick instead of a fan heater.

Visit site
Agree with FD, why not make it easy for yourself and overnight in Littlehampton or Shoreham? Both are interesting harbours with a lot of character. Littlehampton is easier to get in and out of than some claim, although you need a decently-powered engine if a spring tide is running.

yes, we would break the trip up if we were doing it again, but it was a delivery trip so the way home was on an absentee cancelled delayed, stolen by aliens train, shame as we would have enjoyed the scenery more second time around and a bit more relaxed about things.

lw395

Visit site
It's spiffing having a roomy boat to wander around in, but a smaller boat - ideally a moderate racing dinghy - would teach you a lot more about sailing rather than a yot with tons of space...

Maybe just different things rather than more or less.
There are many facets to sailing. Much as I enjoy dinghies, they won't teach you everything you need to know for a 50ft boat. Variety of experience is good.

MonniotC

Visit site
Solent Clown,

I lived on my 22' boat for a few weeks in a marina in the early 1980's.

It was glorious, we were within five minutes walking distance of the Lord Raglan and Sussex Brewery pubs in the days when pubs offerered simple pasties and pies for a couple of quid, before they went all Michelin Star...

We had a mains link and fan heater for dry warmth, barely used the gas cooker, but all three of us sufferred mild bronchitis type breathing snags and the boat had mildew; if I did it again I'd leave the hatches on vent position if not wide open in daytime.

Obviously Emsworth Marina. Bill O'Hagan's sausages (Deities rest his departed soul) in the Sussex Brewery.

langstonelayabout

Visit site
Obviously Emsworth Marina. Bill O'Hagan's sausages (Deities rest his departed soul) in the Sussex Brewery.

O'Hagans sossies? Fab things, and it's been a long time.

The Sussex Brewery was/is on the edge of my old Friday night drinking patch. Its a nice pub but the sausage and mash was always over priced, proper sossies or not.

Seajet

Visit site
O'Hagans sossies? Fab things, and it's been a long time.

The Sussex Brewery was/is on the edge of my old Friday night drinking patch. Its a nice pub but the sausage and mash was always over priced, proper sossies or not.

Very true, I think we worked it out as near £10 per sausage - I didn't know Mr O'Hagan had passed, still a politician to the end on the ' BS Baffles Brains ' principle.

lw395, I do think sailing dinghies are the best primary trainer with their repsonsiveness, but I also have a guideline of never turning down the chance of a go in ANY boat of any size, even if an apparent dog - there's always something to be learned if only ' don't touch one of those '.

Last edited: