Solent to Newhaven in one?

dancrane

Visit site
Hmm, Shoreham looks...interesting...:eek: Be sure to have the GoPro set up, in case it's breezy in the entrance...

Visit site
I'm fascinated to know how much extra your buyer paid, to have the yacht delivered. Not a bad idea...

...lots of owners are probably better able to make a long passage in the boat they know and are selling, than an unaccustomed buyer.

Yes that was the conclusion we came to. It is a mutually agreed and beneficial arrangement, and will be a fitting farewell to the boat for Karen and I.
Our other two boats are both bigger, at 30ft, first on the list is our wooden classic, a bit of fettling to do, then we have to get our plastic fantastic down here. Trading up in boats is possible. We sold the Trident for 6 times what we paid for it - but as soon as you factor in moorings, work to bring it up to spec etc etc, it isnt a money spinner, merely a way to climb up the project boat ladder. We are in a fortunate position to have cheap moorings and full workshop facilities, so things are a lot easier for us. A year ago we only had a dinghy....

BelleSerene

Visit site
Re timing the trip, there’s an eddy along the N shore of the Eastern Solent before the turn of the main tide in your favour. From Soton or even better Osborne as you suggest, use it. It’ll give you good time in hand. After that, I know your boat won’t be the fastest so where wind permits, stay in the strongest current.

Study the tidal atlas atlas to understand how the Easterly tidal flow shifts East along the North of the English Channel as the cycle progresses, giving you far longer favourable flow than just half a tidal cycle.

Here’s a cheat to save you buying the atlas:

http://montymariner.co.uk/tide-stream-charts/733-2/

http://montymariner.co.uk/tide-stream-charts/tide-stream-isle-of-white/

Visit site
Re timing the trip, there’s an eddy along the N shore of the Eastern Solent before the turn of the main tide in your favour. From Soton or even better Osborne as you suggest, use it. It’ll give you good time in hand. After that, I know your boat won’t be the fastest so where wind permits, stay in the strongest current.

Study the tidal atlas atlas to understand how the Easterly tidal flow shifts East along the North of the English Channel as the cycle progresses, giving you far longer favourable flow than just half a tidal cycle.

http://montymariner.co.uk/tide-stream-charts/733-2/

http://montymariner.co.uk/tide-stream-charts/tide-stream-isle-of-white/

Thanks for that, funnily enough I was sat last night wiuth the almanac and chart having a quick look. When I have my rough passage plan I will submit it for approval/critique

Last edited:
Visit site
We finally went for it at 1 am this morning, after all the issues with the boat with the prop busting etc. All fixed at our expense as it seemed the right thing to do.
The night part was both charming and terrifying, and all the better for it. I was caught out once for a moment by what I was sure was an errant fort but turned out to be the bows of a car transporter
as we hit the Looe channel and first light the wind came, and we set sail. It was a stunning ride on wind and tide far out of our Solent comfort zone, and a revelation throughout then day on how empty the water was compared to the Solent. It did take us almost 13 hours, but it was a lot of fun, and a fantastic learning experience

FairweatherDave

Visit site
Congratulations. Happy my estimate was about right! Normally at this time of year I would be sailing the shorter distance from Chichester to Shoreham. But by deciding to stay put it feels like I have invoked the weather gods to give some beautiful weather and nice off shore winds. Somewhat disappointed not to have read more accounts of people milking the glorious weather. So good to read your post,even if you encountered a moving fort. Maybe one day I will get the bottle for a night sail. Respect!

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Great to hear you had a good sail.

I enjoyed the Solent Sea at the weekend, managed to do a return trip to Poole motor sailing, looked at a mast in Cowes Harbour and did wee trip round the IoW all in brilliant sunshine.

Visit site
This was the first trip where I really felt the cold, even though as well wrapped as usual I think the tiredness, long dark night and fear all conspired to make me a bit shivery at times.
All was fine once the sun came out but it took it's time.
Things I would have done differently, well I underestimated the cold this time, not to a danger level but suffered discomfort, mainly legs, so I would layer them better.
I would have raised the sails earlier. We chose not to in order to maximise visibility but I think we would have been fine with the sails up .
We disobeyed our own cardinal rule and did not eat enough, despite the food being there, and by the end of the day we felt that. Especially sitting for an hour on a train platform after our train was cancelled.
The b iggest problem we had came when I put the mainsail up, and we had a tangle at the mast. I had to go forward in the dark, which made Karen very nervous, to untangle the reefing lines. As Karen was at the helm, nervous, and concentrating on luffing the sails she managed to turn the boat through 180 degrees or so, and when I got back to the cockpit in the dark, I was very disorientated for a couple of minutes. To find ourselves again, I went through the motions of setting the sails, then looked about to see where we were. Once I thought I knew I referenced it on the navionics, and happily found myself to be correct, so that was a good little exercise too.
The other thing we practised was going further offshore, a mere three and a half miles off the coast seemed an awfully long way out to us, being used to having the Island as a comfort blanket, and it was amazing! We were astounded how quiet the waters are compared to Solent traffic, so with a fair wind and tide there was actually little to do but keep an eye out for the many lobster pots

Seajet

Visit site
SC,

glad to hear your getting the hang of it; it would be very beneficial to you to stick with one boat for a year or two, to have a datum and bother about other nav' and sailing things.

Visit site
SC,

glad to hear your getting the hang of it; it would be very beneficial to you to stick with one boat for a year or two, to have a datum and bother about other nav' and sailing things.

yes I hear you buddy. The Trident was great and very forgiving, but just to small. I was constantly smacking my head, and inside was just too cramped for our level of use. Hopefully the new old boat will do us for some time to come.

Seajet

Visit site
It's spiffing having a roomy boat to wander around in, but a smaller boat - ideally a moderate racing dinghy - would teach you a lot more about sailing rather than a yot with tons of space...

Concerto

Visit site
Congratulations on completing your first trip out of the Solent.

For night sailing it is always useful to have a head torch for working as this leaves you with both hands free and the light should remain in the area you are looking at. Some also come with a red filter to stop blinding other crew members.

So once you new boat is ready for sea, this trip will make you more confident to sail further afield, there is a big world out there to explore. I wonder how long it will be before you post about doing your first Channel crossing?

Last edited:

pij27

Visit site
Night sailing is always a bit disorientating but being a bit further off shore helps not take traffic lights as markers. Love the transition from night to day through a quiet dawn with just the sound of the water going past the boat.
Always better to have too many layers on and shed them than not to have enough.

Hope the new boat coming along well and see her going further for your trips

dancrane

Visit site
...it is always useful to have a head torch for working as this leaves you with both hands free and the light should remain in the area you are looking at.

Exactly what I was thinking, reading about the tangle at the mast in the dark. They're cheap and handy, I'd keep several aboard.

Well done for making the trip, I envy you.

MonniotC

Visit site
On the subject of torches, it's well worth paying a bit extra to get waterproof torches. I learned this the hard way on a very wet and lumpy channel crossing (Cherbourg) some years ago. The compass light bulb blew, so I dug a torch out. Needless to say, it rolled onto the cockpit sole where it drowned in the sloshing water. So did the next one. Thank heavens for the bulkhead mounted GPS repeater (worth every penny). Afterwards I ordered torches from a scuba-diving shop.
Same thing goes for handheld VHF sets. My first one was not waterproof. It soon drowned in the bottom of the rubber dinghy. Waste of money. I don't know why they even make non-waterproof handheld marine VHF sets.

Last edited:
Visit site
Congratulations on completing your first trip out of the Solent.

For night sailing it is always useful to have a head torch for working as this leaves you with both hands free and the light should remain in the area you are looking at. Some also come with a red filter to stop blinding other crew members.

So once you new boat is ready for sea, this trip will make you more confident to sail further afield, there is a big world out there to explore. I wonder how long it will be before you post about doing your first Channel crossing?

Channel crossing is pencilled in for next spring! Head torch, yes we have some, as well a torches that clip onto clothes, useless as you tend to cross your arm over the beam!
We are very keen to continue learning and gaining experience, so we take every opportunity to get out we can. Typically three times a week, though last couple of months has been manic, so it was good to have a good long run.

RupertW

Visit site
It's spiffing having a roomy boat to wander around in, but a smaller boat - ideally a moderate racing dinghy - would teach you a lot more about sailing rather than a yot with tons of space...

I'm not so sure - a larger boat reacts more slowly so you have time to see what is going on, and you can spend much more time on it as you are able to go much further afield. I think there is also a lot more to cruising than the sails and you learn a lot of that on a bigger boat that has to be house and hobby.