So few dolphins in the Med these days.

mocruising

Visit site
There was once a time when it was a daily occurrence to see a pod of dolphins. We just spent a month crossing the Aegean from W to E but did not see a single dolphin, very sad.

OldBawley

Visit site
Last week saw two in the west entrance of the Poros lake. One had a red back fin or was wounded there. Probably by one of the many many 30 knot + ferry´s.

sailorman

Visit site
They are all now in the North Sea

IMGP1498.jpg

IMGP1504.jpg

ribrage

Visit site
where ? ?

They are all now in the North Sea

IMGP1498.jpg

IMGP1504.jpg

Id beg to differ :) Ive been in the North sea for the last eight months on a seismic survey ship , we have two dedicated Marine mammal observers on board and a passive acoustic monitoring system on board that will pick up whale song etc ....zip- nada - nil

no fishing boats , no dolphins, no whales , theres more life in the shara desert !

charles_reed

Visit site
In my one week trip from Messolonghi to Kalamata and back to Cephalonia, I came across two pods about 24 and 8. One was that in Kolpos Patrai on 26/04/12 the other @ N37°26.53' E21°01.79' on my way up from the Strofades on 03/05/12.
There may have been more but those two swam with me for 12-15".
I suspect sightings have more to do with being able to not motor and keeping one's eyes open. We all know that watches on non single-handed vessels tend to be sporadic.
;-)

sailorman

Visit site
Id beg to differ :) Ive been in the North sea for the last eight months on a seismic survey ship , we have two dedicated Marine mammal observers on board and a passive acoustic monitoring system on board that will pick up whale song etc ....zip- nada - nil

no fishing boats , no dolphins, no whales , theres more life in the shara desert !

in the past 10 yrs we have seen Dolphin 4 times

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk

What do you expect when you're letting off bangs that make the whole ship jump every minute or so? I did time on a seismic vessel in the1970s; I'm not in the least surprised you didn't see any marine mammals.

Also, when I was on the seismic vessels, you didn't have time to look at the sea, except to make sure you weren't going to be washed down the stern shute while recovering or deploying the streamer.

There is significant evidence that seismic surveys DO drive away cetaceans.

jordanbasset

Visit site
In my one week trip from Messolonghi to Kalamata and back to Cephalonia, I came across two pods about 24 and 8. One was that in Kolpos Patrai on 26/04/12 the other @ N37°26.53' E21°01.79' on my way up from the Strofades on 03/05/12.
There may have been more but those two swam with me for 12-15".
I suspect sightings have more to do with being able to not motor and keeping one's eyes open. We all know that watches on non single-handed vessels tend to be sporadic.
;-)

You may be right but it is strange that our watch keeping abilities have degraded so far from when we were in the western med, where we regularly saw large pods of dolphins. Also we seem to be able to spot turtles on a regular basis, which I think are harder to spot than dolphins.
This is of course not scientific and in our year in Greece it may just be that we have been unlucky not to have any close to us. As your own observations point out there are some still in Greek waters.

Chuteman

Visit site
€€€ warning sign

Maybe the Dolphins know more about the impending financial meltdown.
They rather stick with the euro vs dracma so they are headed west:D

Saw a lot before getting to Greece last fall but then the conditions were not
great coming thru Greece, they are smarter than sailors:cool:

noelex

Visit site
I saw some about 10 mins ago near the north end of Chios. I am sailing between Arki and Limnos so they were a nice distraction.

VADROUILLE

Visit site
You have to go to sea

You do know that most dolphins (stand fast Sea World) are in thier natural habitat the sea. Therefore, you wont se dolphins tied up alongside........:D

So its simple, go to sea, and you will see some dolphins......eventually

I seen some this morning as well yesterday and last week sometime, all down the costa brava and sol.

But then i was at sea you see, so i would see some dolphins in the sea....

Im starting to get confused myself:confused:

:D:D

P.S, sundowners in an anchorage near Marina Del Este, beats work any day of the week.......

bjvarley

alixora.posterous.com

Have you ever been in the Sahara?