Slight propshaft wobble a worry?

David 01

Visit site
Hi, just looking for some peoples advice.
I have noticed a slight wobble in my prop shaft going through the stuffing box, is this OK or a worry? Quite difficult to see in the video as it is slight but better seen when I shine the torch on the towards the end. It is in forward gear in the video. Thanks.

Boater Sam

Visit site
I have noticed a slight wobble in my prop shaft going through the stuffing box, is this OK or a worry? Quite difficult to see in the video as it is slight but better seen when I shine the torch on the towards the end. It is in forward gear in the video. Thanks.
Its not a stuffing box but a flexible seal. The wobble may indicate a worn stern bearing and/or shaft. I am concerned about the grease it is checking out. A face seal would normally not be greased.

Tranona

Visit site
That is a Volvo type seal which does need grease. Appears to be some slight movement but that ia why the seal is flexible as the shaft is only supported positively at the gearbox flange and the outer cutless bearing. The engine does move on its flexible mounts so of course this movement is reflected in the shaft movement. However worth checking the outer cutless bearing for wear

garymalmgren

Visit site
Any real growth on the prop will put it out of balance.
Barnacles can do that.
Also a slightly bent blade.
But those aside I don't see any real problem.
As Tranoma has said, check cutlass bearing on next haul out.

gary

Plum

Visit site
Looks good to me and agree with post #3

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
That looks fine to me, I think mine moves slightly more and I know the shaft is straight and the cutless good. I suspect the coupling is not exactly concentric.

38mess

Visit site
I had a new 1 inch shaft, cutless bearing and coupling in November and I get a slight wobble at low revs, but at higher revs its as smooth as silk. But I guess it's to be expected with rubber mounts.
I think yours looks fine and I wouldn't worry about it.

V1701

Visit site
Looks ok to me too - no movement relative to the bits of debris underneath the shaft, the slightest of wobbles on the seal itself. Nothing to worry about. The fact that you're keeping an eye on it in the first place says something...