Sleeping on board whilst ashore.

Ian_Rob

Visit site
Hitherto, with the boat in a cradle and with additional props fore and aft, we have had the occasional night on board when prepping her for the new season

My new marina just uses props. Is it safe to continue?

lw395

Visit site
Props are quite safe if done properly (sic).
I.e. braced and wedged, on good ground etc.
The time you're least likely to dislodge them is when you're asleep?

AllanG

Visit site
I’m very surprised that your Marina would actually allow you to sleep onboard whilst the boat is ashore......have you asked them??

Ceirwan

Visit site
Yes, perfectly safe.
If its not safe to sleep onboard then its probably not safe to be onboard at all.

Minchsailor

Visit site
I sleep on-board all the time when fitting out - the boat is some 600 miles from home. Had no problems with yards. (Yard, rather than marina)
The yard checks props every week, or more often if there is bad weather; but it is a condition for deep keel boats to have the mast removed.

pvb

Visit site
I've often slept on board when the boat's out of the water. I don't really like it, as it just feels wrong - there's no natural movement of the boat as I go from side to side.

salar

harley25refit.blogspot.co.uk
Premier Marinas explicitly forbid people to sleep onboard when the boat is ashore. It is an insurance restriction, to do with fire hazard I believe. It is enforced quite rigourously as anyone in Southsea Marina will now know!

Momac

Visit site
My chief officer refuses to climb on board while the boat is ashore .

Premier Marinas explicitly forbid people to sleep onboard when the boat is ashore. It is an insurance restriction, to do with fire hazard I believe. It is enforced quite rigourously as anyone in Southsea Marina will now know!
I have never though of sleeping with someone being a fire hazard . If there is too much heat due to friction you can get a gel for that . :) .
Does the marina management think sleeping with someone while the boat is in the water to be less hazardous with regard to fire risk in some way and therefore acceptable ? If so I would like to know why they think that is so ?

johnalison

Visit site
I think we have stayed overnight only once, after a haul-out at Hamble Point. As people have said, it is unsatistfying, bt at least the shore facilities were nearby. We met a couple who needed a new engine for their Rustler in Dover, who were mildly fed up after nearly a week ashore. I think it would be a great mistake to do it without marina consent, but I don't see that there is any risk above that of being aboard anyway.

Boathook

Visit site
I sleep on board with my boat ashore. Boat yard seem very happy but it is a cat and just rests on some blocks. Main issue is the lack of toilet facilities on board.

Edit bit. Changed last to lack ....

Last edited: