Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Novice Cruise - Spring 2012

colhel

Visit site
I put a couple or 3 vids on youtube that friend took when we went out for a day sail around the bay. Two show the entrance to Poole harbour and one shows Old Harry at the top of the Swash Channel. Don't know how useful they'll be (it wasn't the intention to show pilotage :) ) but it may show some what to expect. A bit.

PS. If someone know how to embed this youtube stuff, go ahead :)

Old Harry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqPXD2Di9cI

Entrance part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pXDIPJQFMU

Entrance part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN5yKgvjHpY

Seajet

Visit site
Usually, in good weather & vis', Anvil Point can be seen be eye shortly after rounding N Head - or Needles Crossway - buoys.

One should have a Course To Steer worked out on the chart, and waypoints laid in to the gps, but at Poole entrance ( if one's worked out to avoid the ebb ) it's just a case of keeping to the port small boat side of the channel, and a lookout, not least for brainless berks in anything from jetski's to Sunseekers, going at Warp 10 speed.

Poole Bay is a great chance to practice visual nav' like hand bearings on the way too, plenty of significant landmarks in handy places; a good lookout should be kept for lobster pot markers all the way, especially off Hengistbury Head.

Always worth an eye on the chart, compass ( to check the alignment of the channel one hopes one's following compared to the chart ) & depthsounder in Poole, some 'just follow the boat in front, he must be a local who knows what he's doing'; just be ready for radical helm, sheet & throttle adjustments if he comes to a grinding halt !

In reality it's a doddle, just read up a bit first and be aware of the double tides, I wouldn't recommend the short-cut Swashway Channel on the first go, come in via the Fairway Buoy - an almanac is worth having especially for one's first time.

Last edited:

colhel

Visit site
Thank You Old Glow in the Deeps.
Good effort Grumpy o g :D

Seajet, the Swash Channel is the main channel into Poole. The shortcut (as I know it) is the East Looe Channel, you can see it on the first few seconds of ""Entrance Part 1".

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
Colhel,

sorry if I got the name wrong,I don't have a chart to hand and the shallow short cut ( for want of a better phrase ) is known as the Swashway, at Portsmouth where commercial boats & ships have to ask permission to use it...

I was referring to the relatively shallow channel heading East not far off Sandbanks and recommending coming in via West side of the main channel, but do keep a good lookout for the chain ferry and traffic.

Not a problem with common sense.

Last edited:

Ru88ell

Visit site
Thanks for the video links (eventually). I've only ever been thought their on Barfleur, so seeing it at low level was interesting.

Ru88ell

Visit site
Can I just remind people to call Poole Quay to reserve their place. The recent milder, sunnier weather may have inspired people to make bookings, and we need to get our spaces reserved.

Are there any other takers for this meet?

Chrissie

Visit site
Can I just remind people to call Poole Quay to reserve their place. The recent milder, sunnier weather may have inspired people to make bookings, and we need to get our spaces reserved.

Are there any other takers for this meet?

Im going to try and join in on Black Pearl, Chrissie

Chrissie

Visit site
Ive got a Scuttlebut Pennant but I guess we might not all, I could run up a dozen or so basic pennants, perhaps all one colour, so we can identify each other,
anyone interested? If there is interest I am happy to sort that all out.

Giblets

Visit site
Ive got a Scuttlebut Pennant but I guess we might not all, I could run up a dozen or so basic pennants, perhaps all one colour, so we can identify each other,

Chrissie, is your penant the same as the Forum burgee or will I have to add another bit of string to me mast to accommodate it? :)

Giblets

Visit site
Following on from the RNLI CCTV thread, I'm hoping to bring my camera gear along to record this momentous event but if anyone feels that they might be compromised by being filmed (i.e. you have told the wife that you just have to go into work that weekend ;)) let me know. The final edited production will be available on DVD to participants only. :)

PhillM

Visit site

I'd like one please. Pm me cost etc.

I also intend to put some bunting up when we get to Poole to celebrate the first trip out of the Solent under my command.