Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Novice Cruise - Spring 2012

Seajet

Visit site
PhilM,

I know what you mean; my 'to do' list is getting longer not shorter every day, and I can't ( well am not keen to ) get work done on the boat in this weather...

Pete,

thanks; an Ice Cream barge - now that's what I call civilized !

fireball

Visit site
I usually take the North Channel, much better - shorter and calmer - than going out to the Needles, one just rounds Hurst reasonably close ( no heroics here ! ) then keeps parallel to the shore with N Head buoy as a waypoint - it's not far -I forget the distance - but the buoy is usually difficult to spot for a little while.

One advantage of going out via the Needles is that in the usual SW wind it's the course is freeer ...
So, a quick motor to windward and then you can sail a close reach all the way to Poole = flatter and faster = more comfortable!

colhel

Visit site
Also, it's a few years since I've been to Poole and I don't have a new almanac, does anyone know if the fuel barge is still there on the N side of Brownsea ? Very handy not just for fuel ( petrol in my case ) but also has basic foods, water, booze...

Andy

Yes. They have a mobile number to ring if you need to check for opening times which vary between Summer and Winter. I'll dig out phone number later.

fireball

Visit site
the last few times I went to Poole I was lucky enough to have Northerlies, luxury !
Flat sea and wind on the beam ... bliss!!

Whenever we go we go in SW and come back in SE ...

One time we were on our way back into to the Solent - to catch the tide we had to leave at stupid oclock ... through the north passage at 10kts - over the ground! - past Yarmouth pre-breakfast ... and got up to East Cowes for around 0900 ... they were amused to receive a request for a "berth for the night please" ... :)

prv

Visit site
the last few times I went to Poole I was lucky enough to have Northerlies, luxury !

Flat sea and wind on the beam ... bliss!!

Whenever we go we go in SW and come back in SE ...

One time we were on our way back into to the Solent - to catch the tide we had to leave at stupid oclock ... through the north passage at 10kts - over the ground! - past Yarmouth pre-breakfast ... and got up to East Cowes for around 0900

Last time I went to Poole it was NNE or thereabouts. Also leaving at stupid o'clock, I was sweeping round the north channel at 5am and then romping across to Poole with the wind on the quarter, cooking bacon butties.

My dad knew I was heading that way, and decided to set off in his little plane to get an aerial view of the boat crossing Christchurch bay. He spent a while cruising around above the Shingles looking for me, then gave up, landed, and phoned to ask where I was. Already arrived off Studland, was the answer, anchored up and having a swim before he'd even taken off.

Pete

onesea

Visit site
Not certain what we are doing these dates but, if 35' is not to big we might join in?

Might be first trip out of the Solent for our new to us boat, depends on weather before :D

Also another question any one planning on taking their children (mine would be 5yrs) with them?

IF and that's a BIG IF she is with me AND weather is suitable and she is not unwilling we might join you there?

If not maybe just Friday in Yarmouth if there is space at the last minute...

SolentBoat

Visit site
I'm hoping I'll have my children (13 and 15) for at least some of the trip. Complicated slightly by them being stuck in school until Saturday pm but they may hop on a train to join us at Poole.

The youngest could, in theory, come away to Yarmouth on the Friday but she's showing remarkably little interest.

PhillM

Visit site
Onesea everyone is welcome regardless of size. You might me a bit faster than some of us smaller boats but I guess that the larger / faster will sail together and us smaller ones will sail ad a group and catch up eventually :)

Anyone can join for any part. Some are meeting en-route to Yarmouth (day before) and one in Poole for the return so it's all very free and easy.

Re kids I will have my 11 yr old with me and perhaps my 16 yr old too do they should have company of similar age.

Giblets

Visit site
Onesea everyone is welcome regardless of size. You might me a bit faster than some of us smaller boats but I guess that the larger / faster will sail together and us smaller ones will sail ad a group and catch up eventually :)

Also the bigger boats will get in port first and get the beers in! :D

Seajet

Visit site
Giblets, I'm casually wondering if we smaller slower boats with the longest distance to Yarmouth might be advised to break the journey with a stop at say Cowes on Thursday ?

Obviously depends on Lusty D & Russell being able to make it too, and I'll go with the flow; but my boat is relatively quick, and I still reckon on needing good conditions & all of the tide to make Yarmouth...

Just a thought,

Andy

Giblets

Visit site
Giblets, I'm casually wondering if we smaller slower boats with the longest distance to Yarmouth might be advised to break the journey with a stop at say Cowes on Thursday ?

Obviously depends on Lusty D & Russell being able to make it too, and I'll go with the flow; but my boat is relatively quick, and I still reckon on needing good conditions & all of the tide to make Yarmouth...

Just a thought,

Andy

A top plan there, Andy. :)

Seajet

Visit site
Giblets,

I've just found a tide table, looks like HW 21:20 Wednesday 2nd, so we'll grab a spare mooring in Sweare Deep then;w going tide starts about 08:30 ish, so we should be fine for meeting you off Langstone 09:30.

Andy

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
ib1,

you should be OK if the conditions suit and you use all the tide; I don't know if you are familiar with the Western Solent but the tides are stronger - if it's against you, progress may be zero if beating as well - and it's generally a touch lumpier, but not a case of 'here be dragons' in any conditions we'll be bothering with.

What sort of boat do you have ?

My Anderson 22 makes the trip from Chichester as long as conditions aren't too bad ( when I was young & even more foolish, also when conditions didn't suit ).

Our contingent from Chichester ( and Langstone ) includes several smaller slower boats, so I was thinking of their chances; a good friend taught me 'the best sailor in the world is the laziest', ie work everything out beforehand and avoid stress...

Edit; As I'm sure you're aware, but a handy rule of thumb without looking up tidal atlases, the tide starts going West about 1.5 hours before HW Portsmouth ( so one has to punch the last bit of the flood into the harbour to use all of the tide in the Solent ). HW Chichester Fri 4th May 10:36 BST, so a kick off from Langstone entrance about 09:00 should be about right; earlier if anything, as the tide at this end is easier to punch than that in the Western Solent if too late and it turns against there.

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
A heads up if anyone's interested in decorating their boat for the occasion - looks like there's another run of forum burgees being made.

The thread where they decided to do a new batch looks pretty long, but here's the post about how to get one.

Pete

Ru88ell

Visit site
Onesea
I think we sort of dismissed the O/A length rule a while back in favour of 'novice skipper and/or crew' - but you'd be the biggest so might need to wait for us or give us a head start.

Yarmouth and Poole will be busy as BH weekend, so you need to get your booking sorted really. £5.50 to me by Paypal for Yarmouth, and call Poole and get you name down.

DM me for Paypal address.

Russell

Not certain what we are doing these dates but, if 35' is not to big we might join in?

Might be first trip out of the Solent for our new to us boat, depends on weather before :D

Also another question any one planning on taking their children (mine would be 5yrs) with them?

IF and that's a BIG IF she is with me AND weather is suitable and she is not unwilling we might join you there?

If not maybe just Friday in Yarmouth if there is space at the last minute...

Ru88ell

Visit site
Am I being a bit wishful in thinking that I can make it on the Friday from Langstone to Yarmouth? I've been told categorically there is no chance of leave from work on the Thursday so it's my only option.

I guess it's going to be an early start...

Can you not get your boat moved a little further west the weekend before? Would that mean borrowing a mooring? What would I know - I live in the Midlands and put it in the water wherever I feel like. :D

onesea

Visit site
Onesea
I think we sort of dismissed the O/A length rule a while back in favour of 'novice skipper and/or crew' - but you'd be the biggest so might need to wait for us or give us a head start.

Yarmouth and Poole will be busy as BH weekend, so you need to get your booking sorted really. £5.50 to me by Paypal for Yarmouth, and call Poole and get you name down.

DM me for Paypal address.

Russell

Russell,

Thanks for the info, sadly I will only be able to commit at the last minute (work and one or 2 other issues, always the way). As much as anything if we join you it would be a first for my daughter. Hence asking about other children, she's now at the age where social sailing might encourage her more.

We will have to take our chances nearer the time.