Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Novice Cruise - Spring 2012

Ru88ell

Visit site
No response yet to my request to the Admin to get this topic made Sticky or moved the the Member Events section. Does anyone know how to do this?

prv

Visit site
No response yet to my request to the Admin to get this topic made Sticky

Does it need to be? - making a thread sticky is a good way to ensure I won't read it :). My eyes just slide over the static stuff at the top of the page.

A popular thread like this one stays afloat without help.

(Not that I'm objecting to it being sticky if others want it to be so.)

Pete

SolentBoat

Visit site
Yup - figured out PayPal and, thus, saved myself a stroll into the village to post a cheque.

Re "novice" status: I'm not sure whether I qualify for that or not! I've sailed for donkey's years but never bothered getting good at it or collecting any paperwork! I have a crew who believe that anywhere outside the Solent is unnavigable and, possibly, mythical. In fact, for this trip, most have already abandoned ship and I may be down to just the one (and quite a little 'un at that).

Looking forward to it already (just need to do winter maintenance etc).

Natterjack

www.dibbensremovals.co.uk
Dave,

I can't help thinking an overnight pause at Cowes is a very good idea; some boats will struggle to make Yarmouth in one go from the East, it's a fair distance and can chop up lumpy in the Western Solent.

No doubt we can all discuss this, plenty of time yet.

We are moored at Folly Reach, so if anyone stays at Cowes Thursday night we can meet Friday for the sail to Yarmouth

Dan
(Kylema 2)

Haven't-a-Clue

Visit site
am I the only one going singlehanded?
I suggested it to the girlfriend but it was a complete non-starter!

I think I'll be singlehanding( oh Matron), although her indoors said she might consider going as far as Yarmouth, as she has a friend near there she hasn't seen for a while.
Oh well.

Paul_G

Visit site
Yup - figured out PayPal and, thus, saved myself a stroll into the village to post a cheque.

! I have a crew who believe that anywhere outside the Solent is unnavigable and, possibly, mythical.

correct

outside the Solent "there be dragons" and past Aubyns Head (sp) you fall off the edge of the southern world :D

prv

Visit site
am I the only one going singlehanded?

It's possible I might. I mentioned the idea to an old Uni drinking mate when I bumped into him at a beer festival, so the current plan is him and me and possibly his missus depending on whether there's any volunteers for the small bunk (they haven't sailed before). We haven't actually discussed it since said beer festival though, with the obvious implications :)

There's a couple of other folks I might invite if the above falls through, but I'd be perfectly happy to go on my own if noone else can make it.

Pete

Seajet

Visit site
Singlehanding

It seems I'll have a trusty crew for this trip; I did literally singlehand back from Poole to Chichester once though, with left arm in a sling after an unfortunate encounter with a soap dish in the quayside showers...( doesn't sound very SAS, does it ?! ).

Sadly I was unable to procure a parrot to go on my shoulder. :)

Last edited:

Ru88ell

Visit site
Dan, on Kyleema2, sent me a message today:-

Hi
I'm Having problems trying to post on the forum, everytime I reply to your thread I get a message saying somthing like 'post will appear once it has been aprroved by the modorator' however the posts are not appearing!! (Latest post was last night)

Just to let you know I will be sailing from Folly Reach, near Cowes, so if anyone decides to stay at cowes Thursday night I could join them friday for the sail to Yarmouth.

Cheers, Dan
P.s. Thanks for organising the novice cruise, its a great idea!!

prv

Visit site
my thinking at this stage is I ( and I think some others ) will be at Cowes over Thursday night

My thinking on Thursday night is to be in the pub :), assuming my old Uni mate comes down as previously mentioned. I guess we'll then leave Friday mid morning and probably be able to make it down Southampton Water roughly in time to hit the central Solent as those who met at Langstone at 9 are coming past.

Pete

Ru88ell

Visit site
I'm getting very excited about this now - having been up all night with a bad back watching Hungry Sailors on catch up TV. The Yarmouth episode being the lastest.

prv

Visit site
maybe a silly question but do I need to contact Yarmouth in advance to book a walk on pontoon? Can I risk it and just turn up on spec?

I've never booked a spot in Yarmouth before, although I agree it makes sense for a big group of us like this to do so.

They do have a "Harbour Full" sign though, and it does get used, just I've not been unlucky enough to see it.

Pete