Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Novice Cruise - Spring 2012

colhel

Visit site
Hi ib1, I will be out of Langstone (Southsea Marina) with my L17. The rough plan at the moment is to meet up with Seajet and others from Chichester off Langstone Harbour entrance at about 09:00 on the Friday 4th.

Pete

Perhaps I can have a look round?:) I have her bigger sister a Leisure 23SL, I don't know of any that can share the 17s achievement of a transatlantic crossing

Colin

PhillM

Visit site
Wonder if Haydn's got any forum burgees in stock at the moment. Since I'm guessing some of the smaller boats might not carry radio, some form of recognition signal seems like it might use useful :)

Pete

Ru88ell has kindly arranged the marinas and handled payments.

I am happy to cordinate communications. If you pm me your forum name, real first name, boat name, mobile number, if radio carried and home port, I will put together a sheet for distribution to attendees only, so we all can communicate over the weekend.

Currently it looks like there is a group assembling at Langstone at 0900 and another around the mouth of the Hamble (time not yet set).

Another thourght is that it's nice to have but hard to get a nice picture of ones own boat sailing. Perhaps we could take pics of each other for swapping on the Saturday or after?

prv

Visit site
I am happy to cordinate communications. If you pm me your forum name, real first name, boat name, mobile number, if radio carried and home port, I will put together a sheet for distribution to attendees only, so we all can communicate over the weekend.

Yes please. The big boys' trip to Cherbourg did the same thing, although since I didn't see a single other yacht, Scuttlebutt or not, on the way over it was somewhat moot. Looks like we'll be a bit more "in company", which will be nice.

Suggest holding off till nearer the time though - don't forget there's still months to go :)

Perhaps we could take pics of each other for swapping on the Saturday or after?

Definitely! The only photo I have of KS under sail is from her previous owner. I've tried several times to arrange something, but plans have never coincided. On one occasion a mate used a borrowed RIB to take his photographer girlfriend out to get some pics, and he phoned me to say not to bother setting off as the fibreglass hull had fallen out from between the tubes!

Pete

Giblets

Visit site
Wonder if Haydn's got any forum burgees in stock at the moment. Since I'm guessing some of the smaller boats might not carry radio, some form of recognition signal seems like it might use useful :)

Pete

Cheeky sod! :D

Kit includes main DSC radio, 2 x w/proof handhelds, plotter, radar & AIS (OK, I lied about the last two! ) plus will be towing the dinghy with the genny in to keep it all going! :p

Colin, more than happy for you to have a look round - my crew has been briefed on the scale of admission charges. :)

Seajet

Visit site
Giblets;3340026[B said:
]Cheeky sod![/B] :D

Kit includes main DSC radio, 2 x w/proof handhelds, plotter, radar & AIS (OK, I lied about the last two! ) plus will be towing the dinghy with the genny in to keep it all going! :p

Colin, more than happy for you to have a look round - my crew has been briefed on the scale of admission charges. :)

I was thinking that when I read it ! My 22' pride & joy does have plotter & radar, but no AIS in case I cock up a flypast off Cowes...

There's a plan to meet Pete ( Giblets ) beforehand for a pint & chat, hopefully we'll know each other on the day by boats & sail numbers etc.

I have a waterpoof handheld VHF too, but as I made the huge mistake of not trying before buying, it's pretty useless, ( Silva S12 ) so will probably be relying on the main VHF & external speaker; at least I have a crew now ( Vern, of these forums ) to handle the boat while I play with the radio.

Edit; As for photographing each other, yes please ! I'm allegedly a pro photographer, which translates as never usually getting pics of my own boat...

Andy

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
Cheeky sod! :D

Well, I did say "some", not "all" :)

Actually it looks like you smaller chaps (it's fun to be able to say that from my own 24 feet :) ) are better equipped electronically than I am.

Perhaps it's the same impulse that Michael Green describes in Coarse Cruising, where every inch of his 19' cruiser is stuffed with distress-signalling equipment? :D

Pete

lustyd

Visit site
I'll bring my "big" camera along too. I may be heading for Cowes on the Thursday though so might meet the fleet at Yarmouth but we'll see how it goes...

On another note - does everyone have a DSC radio? Live Magic's MMSI 235085828 if anyone cares to add her for comms or location purposes - I have the GPS response on auto so feel free to poll if you're curious as I won't even hear a beep :)

Seajet

Visit site
Dave,

I can't help thinking an overnight pause at Cowes is a very good idea; some boats will struggle to make Yarmouth in one go from the East, it's a fair distance and can chop up lumpy in the Western Solent.

No doubt we can all discuss this, plenty of time yet.

lustyd

Visit site
Dave,

I can't help thinking an overnight pause at Cowes is a very good idea; some boats will struggle to make Yarmouth in one go from the East, it's a fair distance and can chop up lumpy in the Western Solent.

No doubt we can all discuss this, plenty of time yet.

I'm certain I'd make it in a day starting early but in a 20 footer it would be a long day. I've arrived at Cowes before now at noon thinking it was evening :D

Seajet

Visit site
Dave,

if people can make it re. work etc, Cowes before Yarmouth sounds good to me.

I've found - due to the prevailing SW winds - it's a doddle to get back from Poole and run the length of the Solent, ( touchwood ! ).

Giblets

Visit site
Dave,

Mmmm, tidal gate will be Hurst. Westerly flow starts at 09:45 on the 5th 'till 15:45. From Cowes that will make a long trip to Poole non-stop. And if the wind is from the SW-W then 'twill be lumpy down the western Solent.

Seajet, email sent.

lustyd

Visit site
Mmmm, tidal gate will be Hurst. Westerly flow starts at 09:45 on the 5th 'till 15:45. From Cowes that will make a long trip to Poole non-stop. And if the wind is from the SW-W then 'twill be lumpy down the western Solent.

Seajet, email sent.

We're talking the night before Yarmouth (Thursday) so no probs there.