Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Novice Cruise - Spring 2012

PhillM

Visit site
One year one....

Still have not made it to Poole BUT next year I will.

Anybody want to come?

This time I plan to be fit and healthy and not dip out last min. To say I was gutted would be an understatement, especially when I heard how much fun you all had.

Am going to get my almanic in a few weeks time and will start looking for dates / tides to suit.

Any suggestions / lessons from last year - lt me know and I'll factor them in.

To make it easy for the more east of the group, perhaps a first stop at Cowes?

Then how about Lymington as a stopover - perhaps we can call in on Moody Nick?

Then to Poole and then back round the back of the Island to Gosport?

Any takers?

Seajet

Visit site
PhillM,,

please count me in; I've done the trip many times before - in the ancient days when King Arthur was foredeck crew and we had good weather ! - so have space for a person or two to come along and stay aboard if required.

It's a lovely sail in the right weather, if weather suits I might take an extra day or two and go up the Frome to Wareham, which can be quite magical.

Andy

prv

Visit site
I'm up for it too - but second the suggestion to start a new thread please :)

Those of us who were in Cherbourg reckoned "small boat cruise" was a better name than "novice cruise" - though without setting an official maximum size so those in bigger boats can tag along if they want.

Hopefully it can become an equivalent of the Cherbourg run for boats that aren't up to crossing the Channel.

Pete

Seajet

Visit site
I'm up for it too - but second the suggestion to start a new thread please :)

Those of us who were in Cherbourg reckoned "small boat cruise" was a better name than "novice cruise" - though without setting an official maximum size so those in bigger boats can tag along if they want.

Hopefully it can become an equivalent of the Cherbourg run for boats that aren't up to crossing the Channel.

Pete

Ahem,

some of our boats have done that - across the Channel and further - plenty of times, just fancy Poole again as it's a lovely place !

I do wonder if a 'splinter group' of some of us might stay on a few days - according to the weather of course - and go up the Frome to Wareham, it's a lovely trip with high reed beds to the sides and lots of wildlife.

One can stay at the town quay for up to 48 hours free, though having to put up with bolshie berks running the tripper boats who think they own Dorset, or there's the nearby Redcliffe YC, who I've found extremely friendly; I haven't approached them about this proposed trip of course, but they do take a limited number of visitors.

SilentRunningatWareham-2.jpg

Last edited:

Chrissie

Visit site
I am up for it too, prefer to call it small boat than novice, not a novice but like to meet up with fellow sailors when Im out and about, 2nd the new thread idea, 58 pages in!

Seajet

Visit site
Yes,

new thread required; though as we're all just beginning to muse as boats come out of the water, God knows how long that new one might be by the time we're thinking of actually setting off !

P.S, 'Small Boat' or just 'rally' sounds better than novice, when we joined our club in 1977 22' was considered 'medium - large] !

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
some of our boats have done that - across the Channel and further

Well, yes, mine included. And this year a bathtub with an outboard motor could have got across, given enough fuel.

Still plenty of people who don't want to go to Cherbourg in them though, if for no other reason than the length of time it takes if you're not doing 6 or 7 knots.

Pete

Tidewaiter2

Turning Left this season?-Nach Friesians?
Visit site
Why not....

Yes,

new thread required; though as we're all just beginning to muse as boats come out of the water, God knows how long that new one might be by the time we're thinking of actually setting off !

P.S, 'Small Boat' or just 'rally' sounds better than novice, when we joined our club in 1977 22' was considered 'medium - large] !

..just call it 'Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Cruise',(like Cherbourg?) then you'd probably get a mix of boats going, which could be useful.

I understand that the Club up the top by Wareham has an overall length rule=9m- they turned us away a year or two ago in Tringa, and the Town Quay was rammed with Trip Boats telling us to PUFO(as mentioned earlier), so we had to go back to more 'anchorable' areas.
So Wareham is still on our 'to do' list.

mcframe

Visit site
I

Hopefully it can become an equivalent of the Cherbourg run for those whose regular crew are children that aren't quite up to crossing the Channel in all but the most benign conditions.

Seajet: Up the Frome for <9m sounds like fun - anyone else towing a sailing dinghy for some, err, post-mooring match racing? ;->

I'd suggest "No tall bu88ers that fall over when the tide goes out" as a better name - maybe we could invite a well-known creek-crawler as guest speaker ;-)