Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Novice Cruise - Spring 2012

Ru88ell

Visit site
We're in Gosport, drinking tea and scoffing Yarmouth pork pie. 4 hours door to door. Very cold out there as LustyD and Snooks said.

lustyd

Visit site
Anyone wanting to come to Mary mouse either let me know or call the restaurant. Booking is in the name of Lusty.

prv

Visit site
Well, unlike all you seamanlike early risers, I was led astray by Colin and his pressganged crew. Hence I both woke up late with a thick head, and found myself still polishing off a cafe fryup at 10:30. Tidal planning couldn't really get much worse, so nothing for it but to rely on the tin topsail as far as Calshot beach. Sailed round into Southampton Water though, and a nice reach all the way up it.

Missed the window for getting onto my berth though, so I'm alongside the loading pontoon till 7 :(

Pete

BarryH

Visit site
Good luck with the trip. Winds dont look too bad.... i'd not go through the forts as you originally planned.

Gonna be bluddy cold at 0430 though.

Hope you have a hot water bottle for tonight and some warm clothes for the trip.

The winds weren't as forcast, F3 my posterior. Had a good sail down lower hamble and out to the Forts, thats where I furled up and relied on the engine. 6 hours from Deacons to the Mooring. Bit of a wet trudge after the forts, Bar Beacon took ages to appear and then had wind over tide throught the entrance. Safe to say I got soaked.

What is it with dinghy sailers in Chichester.........!

Laundryman

Live in Hemel Hempstead, Boat is in Haslar.
Visit site
Scuttlebutt cruise to Yarmouth

Laundryman is back in Gosport too. Fuel starvation problems on leaving the harbour and had to turn back. Return of the dreaded diesel bug! Finally left 08.45am, arrived Gosport 11.50am. Saw 10.2 knots briefly on the way. Not the nicest of weather. Despite everything the weather could throw at us, I had a great weekend and would like to thank everyone who put time and effort into the organisation, and a warm thank you to everyone who attended.
When can we do it again? Thanks. Alan

colhel

Visit site
The plan yesterday lunchtime was to go from Lake Yard to Poole Quay, (about a mile) tie up and Go to the pub. keith, one of my crew, turned up armed with a sleeping bag, 6 cans of john smiths and a Birthday cake to be told we're going to Yarmouth. "Where's that?" he said. :D
Anyway, 6.45 tied up in Yarmouth, 7.15 in pub, had a good chin wag with Pete, Simon and Helen later joined by Paul.
Cheese and Birthday cake and more beer on board Fortuna, with Pete, Simon, Paul, Keith and myself.
6AM spotted someone in the cockpit with ropes and stuff, it looked cold and hard work, so I pretended to be asleep.
10 am had breakfast with Pete and Chrissie.
10.45 ish said farewell and set off back for Poole. Had a really good sail, the sun came out, good moral on board, arrived at Poole entrance about 2 ish, back on mooring, coffee and chips in the club.
A really enjoyable spur of the moment weekend. :):):):):):)

Moonshining

picnicsintheharbour.blogspot.com
10.45 ish said farewell and set off back for Poole. Had a really good sail, the sun came out, good moral on board, arrived at Poole entrance about 2 ish, back on mooring, coffee and chips in the club.
A really enjoyable spur of the moment weekend. :):):):):):)

But did the press ganged crew agree?

We had a fluid passage plan this morning, but eventually decided that one trip of heading into the wind and cold was better than two, so headed back to Chichester.

Despite not making it to Poole, we had a great weekend. We have to have a second attempt sooner rather than later. Thanks to Russell and Phill for the organisation. Phill - hope you're fit for Scuttlebutt Novice cruise - take 2.

lustyd

Visit site
Back home after a very cold trip back from Gosport. Thanks all for a great weekend.
Cheers
Dave

Seajet

Visit site
Sorry we could't make it guys, my fault !

Glad to hear you all enjoyed it, also glad you didn't try for Poole expecting to get back any time soon !

Would certainly be interested if a sequel is considered.

Andy

Ru88ell

Visit site
Just walked in home. Fabulous sail from Gosport with Simondjuk and Lustyd. Carried full sail all the way to Northney entrance. After stripping down Zephyr ready for tow it was 2pm by the time we left for home.

John, Fiona and me had a fabulous few days. Thanks for everyone for supporting the cruise. Even though we didn't make the target destination it was a very worthwhile event, and I look forward to PhillM's next one. :D

Giblets

Visit site
Also now back home after an "exhilarating" trip from Gosport to Southsea to say the least! I am seriously considering renaming Booby to "DasUnterseeBoot" as she seems to have a penchant for being under the waves rather than on top of them. :eek: However she did us proud for such a little 'un. :)

Had a couple of dramas leaving Pompy namely a bunch of weed round the prop reducing forward motion and then a "man overboard" situation from the St Helen IOW car ferry at the junction of the Swashway and the main channel. Luckily my colleagues from the Harbour Patrol, the MODPol launches and the Pilot Boats did a great job of finding and retrieving the MOB so our expertise was not required. :D

Last time I entered Langstone on the spring ebb with a southerly "breeze" blowing I was at the helm of a 6m RIB with a 115HP engine but my little boat & 6HP coped very well if you exclude the couple of 360 degree pirouettes!

As has already been said by others, very many thanks indeed to Ru88ell and PhillM for putting the event together and indeed everyone else for making the weekend so enjoyable.

Also thanks to LustyD and Simonjuk for their tips and advice of several aspects of boating and I am very much looking forward to the inaugural S'butt "Deliberately Taking The Ground For The First Time" event which has been mooted together with the S'butt Cruising Chute Training Weekend. ;):D

Natterjack

www.dibbensremovals.co.uk
Despite not getting to Poole and spending two nights in Yarmouth (We live on the island!) I had a very successful weekend!
The trip was to get swmbo properly introduced to sailing and although she agreed to come along she had not shown much interest...

This morning when I wondered into the kitchen I caught her reading the latest copy of PBO:D Success she's hooked!

Thanks to you all for the enjoyable weekend and hopefully next time the weather gods will be on our side!

Dan

colhel

Visit site
That's one of the beauties of these events, it gives like minded folk a chance to network with each other. Takes away that solitary feeling and gives you the confidence to go that little bit further, and give you the chance to be solitary again :)

PhillM

Visit site
I am delighted to hear everyone had a good time. Shame to have missed it but I see that Poole the sequel and other trips are being talked about - so perhaps next time....

Thanks for all the get well messages. I made the right decision not to sail. Even 1 week on I would not be happy to go to sea. It's going to be at least another few days before I am fuly fit.

Our marina held a sea safety and RYA Active Marina event this weekend. As we were not away, we were able to join in. The RNLI sea safety check is well worth doing. I did it last year and had several things to do and this year, there was one point for action and two points for consideration.

We also took boat handling skills training - 2 hours pontoon bashing. Useful practice and I learned more about how my long keeled boat handles (or somtimes does'nt) in adverse wind and tide and of course astern. It also helped my crew get into the swing of things for the season.

We also had a session on passage planning and that helped my confidence. The kids took a 2 hour radio class, which they enjoyed and are now able to call for help if, for example, I fall overboard.

I also met Guy from the RYA. He was delighted to hear about the Scuttlebutt Novice Cruise and how it had come together. Don't be suprised if he pops up here to say "hello" and to pick your brains about what small boaters want from events like these.

So, all in all we had a good weekend too.

Simondjuk

Visit site
Russel,

You should have a PM with the details, if not I will re-send it.

Got home late last night and busy at work this morning, so not put anything up yet.

Afraid we didn't get that many on the way back from Gosport due to a tiller handle issue whilst we were all close together and getting it sorted, but have some nice ones which I will post to the photobucket account later.

Paul_G

Visit site
I agree a great weekend even if it didnt go to plan.

A big thank you to Ru88el who took charge, organised the pub for the evening meal etc.

Paul