Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Novice Cruise - Spring 2012

Simondjuk

Visit site
Phill,

Sorry to hear you won't be coming, but as you rightly say discretion is the better part of valour.

We shall have to arrange another cruise in the near future when hopefully the whole contingent, plus a few more perhaps, can make it along.

I shall keep your excellent spotter's guide safely in the chart table in expectaion of using it again when that time comes.

Simondjuk

Visit site
Just waiting to take the ground at East Head to allow a quick check of the anode and a wash off of the mud splatters from all the rain in the morning before we re-float.

If you're not at Yarmouth before us, Pete, we shall indeed await your arrival.

PhillM

Visit site
Guys, thanks for your kind wishes. I hope you have a great time.

In case the weather blows up and you decide to divert to Lymington, the chap I spoke to in the Harbour office was Andy and his number is 01590 672014. He said that in the event that weather meant that you needed to divert, there should be space (because he didn't think that everyone booked in would make it for the same reason). There should be space on the Dan Bran pontoon or on Town Quay.

If you do divert, let me know because there is another formuite who is very local and mentioned that he would come and say hello. I can PM you his details if its appropiate.

lustyd

Visit site
It may not be a race but I think gibletts may be cheating, he drifted right by me :)
If anyone is on twitter use #scuttlebutt in tweets.
Cheers
Dave

onesea

Visit site
Looks like its blowing a bit out there ... Bramblemet is showing a whole 4kn. Good job its not wind over tide.

Looks like it is getting windier overnight tonight though. weatheronline shows 20kt sat morning

If its any help I normally use it seems the most accurate:

http://www.weather-file.com/hurst/graph.htm

This one I find reads under a couple of knots? Although it could be I only look at the data considering a couple of knots of tide under me?

http://www.weather-file.com/lymington/graph.htm

There is also:
http://www.weather-file.com/highcliffe/graph.htm

This one I do not know exact geography of so uncertain how it is affected by land.

Hope it helps and the forecast improves for you...

Ru88ell

Visit site
The trip over to Poole was cancelled due to high winds, and the probability that many wouldn't get back by Monday in continuing strong NE's. We're all stuck in Yarmouth, but looking forward to another excellent meal at The Kings Head before an early start tomorrow back up the Solent.

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
I would invite you over for a drink on Pixie, but it's too cold to sit in the cockpit and with our 4 month old onboard sailing for the first time there is barely enough room for my wife and I with all the baby detritus below decks!

Btw the real ale festival (mayfest) on the green had one real ale, so the pubs have a better selection. Burgers at the Wheatsheaf were sizable and tasty :)

Lifeboat is back.

Giblets

Visit site
I would invite you over for a drink on Pixie, but it's too cold to sit in the cockpit and with our 4 month old onboard sailing for the first time there is barely enough room for my wife and I with all the baby detritus below decks!

Are you not adept at serving drinks on the pontoon then? We've got used to the cold after the past couple of days! :D

lustyd

Visit site
Youve gone soft Snooks, have a whiskey that'll warm you up! That said my heater has been on since I arrived :)

PhillM

Visit site
Looks like you made a good call today. Latest forcast I've seen is showing the wind vering from NE to SE during tomorrow. A sustained E period would have made getting back from Poole a bit trying.

Today I managed to get out and about a bit. Thanks to the RYA Active Marina program I got to do 2 hours pontoon bashing. I learned more about how my boat handles in close quarters with cross tide and wind and it was confidence building. The kids also learned a lot do all in all a good experence.

Bashing was an operative word and next winter when I am spending hours filling and fareing to get that perfect paint finish, I will remember that this is a contact sport and by the time anyone else will see my work it will be covered by marks and scratches!

BarryH

Visit site
Sitting here shivering, well not quite, on the boat. Me and the daughter have been fed and watered at the Chinky opposite the boatyard. Contemplating the 0430 start in the morning. Looks as if the motor will get a bashing looking at the winds......

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
Our plan is to head east from Yarmouth at about 7 ish, would have liked to leave earlier, but I doubt our daughter would have taken kindly to the idea. As long as we are past Cowes before the ebb we should be able to ease sheets, might even head north of the brambles to get a better angle. :)

Hopefully having the heater on all day has warmed the outside temerature too ;)

VicS

Visit site
Sitting here shivering, well not quite, on the boat. Me and the daughter have been fed and watered at the Chinky opposite the boatyard. Contemplating the 0430 start in the morning. Looks as if the motor will get a bashing looking at the winds......

Good luck with the trip. Winds dont look too bad.... i'd not go through the forts as you originally planned.

Gonna be bluddy cold at 0430 though.

Hope you have a hot water bottle for tonight and some warm clothes for the trip.

lustyd

Visit site
Well I made it to haslar, all tied up in b42. Gradually thawing out after what felt like a long trip including the engine cutting out twice! Giblets looks to have made it to Gosport premier too.