Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Novice Cruise - Spring 2012

Chrissie

Visit site
I will go with the majority, but please remember to tell me, I dont want to be the only one sat soggy and wet in Poole if everyone else is warm and cosy in a pub elsewhere :(

PhillM

Visit site
I will go with the majority, but please remember to tell me, I dont want to be the only one sat soggy and wet in Poole if everyone else is warm and cosy in a pub elsewhere :(

We won't, I promise. Mind you I'm stuck on the sofa having put my back out reaching for shower soap. What a hard, self sufficient sailor I've turned out to be! Hoping a couple of days off work to be ok for Friday.

Last edited:

PhillM

Visit site
There's no answer to that! ;):D

I know. Sad but true.

This jaunt / thread started in November when Russell and I were trying to work out tides for a round the island. Andy Suggested we go to Poole first...

I'll be gutted if I cannot make it for such a silly reason.

Ru88ell

Visit site
Is it looking any better on your choice of forecast?

I'm planning to leave home with the boat at 5am tomorrow and launch at Northney around 9:30 - then chase Lustyd over to East Cowes.

prv

Visit site
Is it looking any better on your choice of forecast?

Definitely not looking too windy on Windguru WRF 9km (their most "accurate" forecast, although still an automated model). Threes and fours northeasterly - some gusts to six but that's only in the early hours of Saturday morning, dying down again by 7am. Slight spit of rain at the same time, otherwise clear.

WRF doesn't predict beyond that, so for the rest of the weekend I'm going off GFS, which says twos and threes, albeit some gusts to five on Monday accompanied by a little rain.

Not as beautifully sunny as I'd been expecting last month, but not at all bad in light of recent weather.

Pete

prv

Visit site
looks like I be leaving Folly/Cowes around 9am Friday morning minus swmbo:eek:
Couldn't get the day off work so she will be meeting us at Yarmouth sometime in the afternoon.

Join the club, my mates are doing similar. Except they're getting the train from Bristol so it'll be evening rather than afternoon.

Pete

prv

Visit site
Did we ever decide on a channel to use?

Not that I noticed.

Officially it should be one of 06, 08, 72, 77. Ought to be nothing to choose between them, unless someone who listens to the radio more than me knows that one of them is the local unofficial whelk-fisherman's nattering channel or something.

Pete

Ru88ell

Visit site
Not that I noticed.

Officially it should be one of 06, 08, 72, 77. Ought to be nothing to choose between them, unless someone who listens to the radio more than me knows that one of them is the local unofficial whelk-fisherman's nattering channel or something.

Pete

[Executive Decision] Let's use 08, as it's half of 16 and therefore easier for me to remember. [/Executive Decision]

Moonshining

picnicsintheharbour.blogspot.com
Not that I noticed.

Pete

77 then? (No, I don't know if that's reserved for inter-whelk communications)

Ru88ell

Visit site
Just to clear that up, the Scuttlebutt Novice Cruise channel is 08.

Who's going to be first to ask for a radio check? :D

Giblets

Visit site
Right, team, here we are sitting in the marina bar at Southsea after prepping the boat for the morning having a beer or two before a very nice looking steak 'n ale pie (start as we intend to go on says my crew!:rolleyes:)

We have to make a quick call to Ron Hale's chandlers in the morning so should be away from here by 1030ish.

prv

Visit site
Right, team, here we are sitting in the marina bar at Southsea after prepping the boat for the morning having a beer or two before a very nice looking steak 'n ale pie

Grrr. Tomorrow I'll be heading into work and manically trying to finish all the stuff that needs to be done by Tuesday and now has no Friday or Monday in which to do it :)

About to leave work now, I do have beer and some posh burgers in the fridge when I get home, so not all bad...

Pete

Chrissie

Visit site
For all of you setting out tomorrow, I wish you fair winds, I shall join you at Yarmouth at some point on Friday, I have a few jobs to do on Friday morning, then quickly provision the boat and try and catch up with you all,