Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Novice Cruise - Spring 2012

PhillM

Visit site
I have faith in the weather gods willingness to smile on us.

As I see it:

Fair winds = Yarmouth to Poole to Gosport via back of Island, then home

Moderate but not great = Yarmouth to Lymington or Cowes, then home

Foul (anything with a 6 or above in it) = pub

BarryH

Visit site
Can I ask where yoiur getting your forcasts from? I'm getting ones that don't look too bad at all, so I'm not going to believe them and I definately will not pay to get told a bunch of lies........

lustyd

Visit site
Can I ask where yoiur getting your forcasts from? I'm getting ones that don't look too bad at all, so I'm not going to believe them and I definately will not pay to get told a bunch of lies........

I use WindGuru which is usually pretty accurate.

Ru88ell

Visit site
Yarmouth just called me to confirm the names of boats and boat lengths, so they can get a berthing plan together. It seems they have another two rallies in on Friday - so it's going to be cozy.

colhel

Visit site
I get the feeling a lot of you want to knock Poole on the head for this weekend. IFthis is the case perhaps we should inform the Haven sooner rather than later and give yourselves a chance to plan something more definite and local to you.

Edit, perhaps doing something later in the season when we've had a chance to get more organised, I think we've all struggled with this weather

Last edited:

Moonshining

picnicsintheharbour.blogspot.com
I get the feeling a lot of you want to knock Poole on the head for this weekend. IFthis is the case perhaps we should inform the Haven sooner rather than later and give yourselves a chance to plan something more definite and local to you.

If the Windguru and xcweather forecasts stick, we intend to be going to Poole. I'm just not that confident that they will at the moment.

Edit: At least xcweather's stopped saying that it will snow on Friday night/Saturday morning!

PhillM

Visit site
Agreed, I still plan to head for Poole on the Saturday if the weather looks OK.

Me to, Poole is plan A but I wanted a workable plan B and C.

I am sure the haven are watching the weather too. They know what we are doing and our boat sizes and I am sure they have a pragmatic aproach to arrangements.

I spoke to Lymington earlier and was impressed by the way that they had a handle on things. They too have rallies. If the weather is poor they will be have space for us. If the weather is good they won't because all the bookings will turn up, but hey if it's good then we'll be in Poole!

Simondjuk

Visit site
The only reason we'd not go to Poole is if doing so makes it look highly likely that we'll spend Sunday beating back to Chichester against much over a F6, with rain and low temperatures thrown in. I'd sooner be warm and dry in a pub somewhere.

That said, were a little bigger than some, so will follow the crowd and enjoy the company if the weather is marginal for all to feel comfortable heading to Poole.

Last edited:

Simondjuk

Visit site
I spoke to Lymington earlier and was impressed by the way that they had a handle on things. They too have rallies. If the weather is poor they will be have space for us. If the weather is good they won't because all the bookings will turn up, but hey if it's good then we'll be in Poole!

I think this nails it nicely, Phill.

Paul_G

Visit site
we've booked in Sunday for the return journey and Ive just checked their on line booking and Sat 5th has spaces available :)

P

Simondjuk

Visit site
I generally assume that if the weather is bad enough to stop me leaving, it's bad enough to stop others coming, so there will be space available.

Ru88ell

Visit site
There is that Simon. We're in the designated rally walk ashore area, so they may well have spaces elsewhere. I may come in too.

lustyd

Visit site
They cannot make you put to sea if you don't feel it's safe. That's why they are often reluctant to take bookings for all the births.