Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Novice Cruise - Spring 2012

lustyd

Visit site
Has anyone actually managed a sail this season yet? My only one was lasted about an hour under genoa about 3 weeks ago. Haven't even got the Main on yet. :(

Yes I've been out a few times around Chichester harbour. Lovely bright warm days mostly.

Giblets

Visit site
Has anyone actually managed a sail this season yet? My only one was lasted about an hour under genoa about 3 weeks ago. Haven't even got the Main on yet. :(

Did get out once on Mother's Day from Langstone across to Priory Bay for lunch at anchor and back again. Sailed on and off the hook - SWMBO was most impressed. :)

Natterjack

www.dibbensremovals.co.uk

Apart from day skipper practical which I completed in January, spent every spare minute working on the boat! This weekend the engine will finally be sorted with a refurbished injector pump! (Fingers crossed it works)

prv

Visit site

Been out for a couple of day / evening sails, but cancelled several more owing to rubbish weather. Only ever seems to be sunny at the moment while I'm at work :mad:

Pete

Moonshining

picnicsintheharbour.blogspot.com

Moonshine went back in the water on April 3rd but apart from some light prep work and a bit of painting, we've done nothing. The sails are still in their bag in the saloon so we're going to have to at least sail around the harbour for an hour or two this weekend to make sure that everything works and nothing falls off.

PhillM

Visit site
Thanks for all the info for the spotters guide. I’ll be sending the final, final version out tomorrow afternoon as a pdf. This is the last call for info from IB1 and for photos from:

Colhel
Prv
Auldsot
Chrissie
Laundryman
Barry H

Either pm or reply to MY previous email (not Holly’s as she is off at present).

Moonshining

picnicsintheharbour.blogspot.com
Moonshine went back in the water on April 3rd but apart from some light prep work and a bit of painting, we've done nothing. The sails are still in their bag in the saloon so we're going to have to at least sail around the harbour for an hour or two this weekend to make sure that everything works and nothing falls off.

Bleargh. We were planning on going down tomorrow afternoon and going for a sail on Sunday, but the Sunday forecast looks horrendous now. Looks like it will be a quick trip down there tomorrow morning, a quick trip down the harbour and back in the afternoon before the rain starts.

prv

Visit site
Friday has snuck onto the GFS plot now. None of your drifting in drizzle - force 4 easterly with a clear sky - couldn't be better :)

Of course, since this is a very long-range prediction and it's already changed completely since yesterday, indicating instability, it's really no better than tea-leaves at this point :(

Pete

BarryH

Visit site
I'm going have to be honest with myself. The boat went in at Deacons on the Hamble yesterday. The idea was to take it round to Chichester over the weekend. The weather looks to be pants for this weekend so the boat is going to have to stay where it is.

Its a new boat to me. I'd be silly to take it with just me and my daughter on a maiden trip to Poole next weekend. I've not sailed it yet so don't even know how it handles. They're supposidly good safe solid cruising boats. I'd rather find that out at my leisure when I can pick the weather.

So being honest with myself I think that its best that I scrub my attendance. Its a real pity. I would have loved to seen my old haunts and enjoyed the company, but with the way things have panned out its probably for the best. I'll look forward to the next one.

Sorry people.

PhillM

Visit site
Barry, that is a shame but totally understandable.

If you need hand to move the boat on Saturday morning, let me know.
You never know, if the weather is great over the bank holiday weekend (here’s hoping) you may be able to catch some of us on our way back. There seems to be a fair contingent from Chi and I guess they may end up back in Cowes or Gosport? On the return journey.

I’ll make sure you get the final spotters guide, so you have all our numbers, etc and we will keep an eye out for you too.

I am sure that this won’t be the last trip of this kind. I for one am keen to go round the island, over the channel and then who knows? One step at a time through :)

PhillM

Visit site
Final spotters guide now out by email. Any problems PM me.

Do you think we should agree a radio channel to monitor for ship-to-ship comms over the weekend, to save using 16 for calling?

I guess the weather forcast will becomec clearer closer to the time and everyone will make their own go-no go decision, but should we set a time on Wednesday to check in on the forum for a chat?

Ru88ell

Visit site
Final spotters guide now out by email. Any problems PM me.

Do you think we should agree a radio channel to monitor for ship-to-ship comms over the weekend, to save using 16 for calling?

I guess the weather forcast will becomec clearer closer to the time and everyone will make their own go-no go decision, but should we set a time on Wednesday to check in on the forum for a chat?

Thanks for doing all that Phill.

Can someone local decide on a free channel?

I'm happy to host a conference call on Wednesday pm if it would help to get quick decisions.

Ru88ell

Visit site
Gallan947 had pulled out to, having only just taken delivery of his boat, and this weekend not looking good for trial sail.

Again, we could look to hook up when we return.

Ru88ell

Visit site
Can you scribble 'Fiona' on my crew list in your Spotters Guide please? John is bringing his g/f. That's going to make it interesting. No loo.

lustyd

Visit site
Hi guys just putting some numbers together so thought I'd post them here. I think someon did this before so apologies for the duplication. I've been wrong before (you may hear all about this next week) so worth checking :)

Thursday
Chi harbour
09:44hw so I can leave any time from 07:15. Ru88ell may be on the Emsworth pontoon and we'll try to meet up. Andy (seajet) what is your plan here?
Tidal atlas says for 09:27 hw Portsmouth
West from chi ok from 2hrs before to 3hrs after hw Portsmouth so given my boat speed and the wind an early start and motor up the harbour against tide may be best?

Friday
Tidal atlas says for 10:22hw Portsmouth
West from Cowes ok 1 hour before to 3 hours after hw Portsmouth so leaving around 9ish probably best which suits the current windguru forecast.
Stay south side of the channel to get best tide to Yarmouth.

Saturday
11:15hw Portsmouth
Leave at 9.15 to get in position for good tide at Hurst. We would then have good tide until 15:45 ish. Enter Poole around 16:45 or later for good tide into the harbour.