Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Novice Cruise - Spring 2012

PhillM

Visit site
Also meant to say, subject to weather I'm thinking of returning via the back of the island and into Gosport for Sunday night, then back to Hamble Monday.

Of course, I reserve the right to chicken out at any time!

Ru88ell

Visit site
Also meant to say, subject to weather I'm thinking of returning via the back of the island and into Gosport for Sunday night, then back to Hamble Monday.

Of course, I reserve the right to chicken out at any time!

Put me down for that too.

Paul_G

Visit site
questions

I watched Simon's weather forecast today and it looks as if we may have a weather window for the weekend, but at present it looks as if we will be short on wind, meaning a bit of motoring so:-

1)Do we need to change to white diesel in case we get stopped by the port authorities

2) do we need any special anchors for Poole?

3) are red ensigns ok or should we fly a defaced blue

( does that cover enough contentious subjects?)

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Paul

BarryH

Visit site

Used to love that anchorage behind Brownsea. Quite a few nice evenings watching the sun dip below the horizon and a nice single malt. Arne is another nice secluded spot......didn't have two lumps of iron hanging below the boat then though!

prv

Visit site
I was thinking about getting a chart for this trip. I have a Solent folio already; what should I look to get?

Admiralty or Imray?

I'm an Imray man; if you already have the 2200 Solent pack then the next folio along is Dorset and Devon, 2300. If you just want the charts for this trip instead of the whole lot, 2300.2 covers from Hurst to the Poole entrance, and then 2300.5 covers the harbour itself (a double-sided sheet if I remember rightly).

Alternatively there's probably a huge C-series sheet that does the lot.

Pete

Simondjuk

Visit site
As an aside, who's leaving from chichester on friday morn and what time?

We will be.

We're on a drying berth so will get off there on Thursday night's tide and either pick up a buoy or anchor at East Head overnight with the intention of setting off early enough to get to Yarmouth with the last of the fair tide.

I've not actually looked at the times properly yet, but remember from the glance I took a while back that it should be quite doable with a fairly civilised kick off time.

If we don't get off our berth on the Thursday evening we won't be able to leave until about an hour before HW on the Friday morning. This means that by the time we're down the harbour and out on our way, unless we make really good speed we'll be well against the flood before Yarmouth.

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
I was thinking about getting a chart for this trip. I have a Solent folio already; what should I look to get?

Have a look at Page 2 of this pdf, kindly provided by Parkstone Yacht Club. Strictly speaking you should use the North Channel but most of you will be able to get out of the main channel if you have to anyway I would imagine. Don't be fooled by all the blue on there though - outside the channels it is mostly very shallow. The bits that aren't shallow are usually moorings. Moorings doesn't necessarily mean deep water either obviously. Many of them are either drying or in less the 3' of water. The trick with Poole Harbour is that it's not simply shallow round the edges and deep in the middle, there's some very shallow bits in the middle. The channels, especially the main channel and the North channel (sometimes called the small boat channel) have plenty of water at all states of tide though. Don't underestimate the entrance, especially at full flow, but otherwise it's very simple. The absolute worst you will do is end up on some mud.

Incidentally, for those who decide to stop off in Studland, South Hook (South Cardinal outside the entrance to Poole Harbour) has apparently been removed for a wash and brush up.

http://www.parkstoneyachtclub.com/docs/Racing/RACE%20CHART_23Mar.pdf

There's another pdf about how to behave in Poole Harbour here.....
http://www.phc.co.uk/downloads/general/Harbour.pdf

Paul_G

Visit site
As an aside, who's leaving from chichester on friday morn and what time?

We plan to.

We are in the marina, and with high tide 10:42 we will be leaving 8:30 ish to be at the entrance an hour before HT so we can go with the tide all the way to Yarmouth.

P

GrahamD

Visit site
Incidentally, for those who decide to stop off in Studland, South Hook (South Cardinal outside the entrance to Poole Harbour) has apparently been removed for a wash and brush up.

http://www.parkstoneyachtclub.com/docs/Racing/RACE%20CHART_23Mar.pdf

South Hook was in position last Thursday because we raced around it .

Good info from grumpy, but a minor correction: on the charts the small boat channel runs just outside the main channel between the port hand buoys and the red posts. Don't get too close to the posts especially at low water.

Ru88ell

Visit site
Since we're asking 'who's doing what'; who's planning to be in Cowes on Thursday night, and if so, in which marina?

lustyd

Visit site
Giblets, Seajet, Lustyg - I'm launching at Northney - when are are you planning to leave Chi?

I'm not planning that bit, I intend to leave as soon as I'm ready and there is sufficient tide. I can let you know when I leave by text if you like?

Giblets

Visit site
Giblets, Seajet, Lustyg - I'm launching at Northney - when are are you planning to leave Chi?

As we are out of Southsea Marina the original plan was to meet up with Seajet somewhere near the Langstone Fairway post (avoiding sunken fishing boats :D) at around 09:30 ish on Thursday.

Ru88ell

Visit site
Has anyone actually managed a sail this season yet? My only one was lasted about an hour under genoa about 3 weeks ago. Haven't even got the Main on yet. :(

I've done 6 days around Chichester Harbour / Solent in the last month. All in my blog.