Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Novice Cruise - Spring 2012

BarryH

Visit site
I don't know why everyone coming from the east heads for the Fairway Bouy. I always go north of the Hook Sands and Inner Poole Patch and head for the East Loo. Cuts out a fair bit of plodding and keeps you out of the worst of the tide, if on the ebb.

Plenty of water there and for the last few years has been really well marked/bouyed.
When going through the Haven your supposed to be under power anyway. so punching a bit of tide shouldn't be too bad unless stupidly underpowered.

Just my view on it. Prepared to bow to greater knowledge.....

Ru88ell

Visit site
The list for this event is now closed, but we are taking names for a 'reserves list' on a first come, first served basis.

Solentboat has been forced to withdraw so we do have one space. Anyone coming forward for this place should make an agreement with Solentboat regarding any fees already paid for reservation at Yarmouth.

Bobc

Visit site
You guys might be interested in this... just announced.

Weymouth Harbour in conjunction with Poole and Yarmouth Harbours are offering visiting vessels £5 off their stay when they visit either harbour.

Simply visit one of the 3 harbours and pick up a voucher for the remaining 2 locations which you can present on payment of your dues.

Ru88ell

Visit site
I was thinking about getting a chart for this trip. I have a Solent folio already; what should I look to get?

lustyd

Visit site
I was thinking about getting a chart for this trip. I have a Solent folio already; what should I look to get?

The Solent folio is sufficient for this trip. That's what I used on my course and I had more than enough detail.

PhillM

Visit site
As prep I bourght the east Devon folio. I also bourght Chichester to Ramsgate and east & west channel.... Just in case :)

lustyd

Visit site
Sorry just looked at my folio and the pack doesn't have Poole. That said its incredibly well marked and hard to go wrong. After the ferry you follow to the right then left then right. A double check on google earth will show you the layout.

lustyd

Visit site
As prep I bourght the east Devon folio. I also bourght Chichester to Ramsgate and east & west channel.... Just in case :)

I have the east Devon one too and it does show Poole more clearly but having been there I don't think its worth the money just to get to poole quay haven since the channel is so well marked. I spent a lot of time in this harbour thanks to a **** sunsail boat with dodgy engine so feel somewhat of an expert :)

PhillM

Visit site
Already. Asked Simon k in another thread to sort it :)

You beat me to it. I subscribe to sailing weather and was planning to ask for a personalised forecast next Wednesday.

Let me know if you think this is a good idea and I'll get booked in tomorrow.