Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Novice Cruise - Spring 2012

Giblets

Visit site
Do not worry too much about the high level photo shots, guys. I will be bringing my newly acquired GoPro HD2 kit with assorted mounts, clamps, etc which can be hoisted up the mast at no personal risk to anyone. :D

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
Do not worry too much about the high level photo shots, guys. I will be bringing my newly acquired GoPro HD2 kit with assorted mounts, clamps, etc which can be hoisted up the mast at no personal risk to anyone. :D

Giblets,

Spiffing - now we have our own Tom Clancy style satellite coverage photo's, I must be on best behaviour ! :)

Seajet

Visit site
:D:D

Those who are follically challenged (moi! :eek:) may be required to apply cream & powder to reduce any glare!!! :cool:

Giblets,

I think I'm just about avoiding that challenge though I do think grey is distinctive, and a bit of grey bleached in UV can only make me look like Mad Max 2; I'm sure all will agree to my resemblance to the young Mel Gibson and join me in wondering why he got the part and I didn't.

Will love to see your photo kit Giblets, have dallied with real aeroplanes, Microlights and long thoughts of balloons, masts etc for a-g photography.

Last edited:

PhillM

Visit site

Unless it lands on your head!

PhillM

Visit site
Still a chance to join us, but only just...

In case others see this long thread, fancy a trip in company to Poole butdont want to wade through it all, the original post has all the important info in it.

Most of us are under 30' LOA and most are novices but longer and more experenced are most welcome.

Russell, are we at least orders yet, I guess we must be getting close??

SolentBoat

Visit site
I'm out - scrub me from your list :mad:

Rudder problem which requires more work than I'm likely to get done in time :mad:

Have a good time, chaps.

PhillM

Visit site
I have just had a chat with Ru88ell. Basically we are full now, but if someone drops out it will leave a space.

Very sorry to hear about your trouble Solentboat. I guess this means that we might have just one space available if time runs out. I suggest you leave it until the last min as somthimes things get sorted faster than predicted.

Bookings / waiting list to Ru88ell and spotters guide info to me please.

colhel

Visit site
I've just noticed something about the passage plan on Saturday, nothing alarming, just an observation
Leaving Yarmouth at 10-15, arriving at Poole 15.35. (an estimate obviously).

The West going stream will be fairly strong, and it's possible you could make Yarmouth to the Needles in an hour the Needles to Poole entrance in 2.5 hours.
This could give an arrival time of 14.25. Arriving at Poole entrance at this time could see you in a fast flowing ebb current , nothing dangerous, but just won't be as much fun, especially if the wind is wrong and you have to use engine. I've caught the tide wrong on exactly the same passage and it took a lot of work to get to the Quay, I can do 6 knots under engine.

I'm not suggesting you alter your plan, I'm rather hoping someone can help me out by either calling me a plonker or confirming what I've written. I am still learning after all.

Seajet

Visit site
Colhel,

I am sure we'll all look at the tactical tide plan from Yarmouth; I agree with much of what you're saying but we ain't going to be bucking tides, I'd suggest if too early for Poole entrance we wait at Studland; but even in my Spiffing Boat I'd be chuffed to cross Poole Bay in 2.5 hours, haven't worked out how many kts that is !

PhillM

Visit site
Colhel, I am still at work so don’t have my Almanac with me. I am as the title suggests a novice. This is only my second year and will be 1st time out of the Solent on my own boat. Anything you can pick up / point out on the planning is very fine by me!

I seem to recall that I didn’t know how long it would take to get from North Head bouy (north chanel) to Poole so I was working on the basis that if wind / tide sped us along we would aim to anchor at Studland and wait for LW (1535 onwards) and go in on a rising tide. If we were slower than planned, then we would have plenty of time and daylight to make it to Poole Quay.

Does that work or have I got the Poole tides wrong?

btw I can only do 4kn on engine!

Giblets

Visit site
Colhel,

I am sure we'll all look at the tactical tide plan from Yarmouth; I agree with much of what you're saying but we ain't going to be bucking tides, I'd suggest if too early for Poole entrance we wait at Studland; but even in my Spiffing Boat I'd be chuffed to cross Poole Bay in 2.5 hours, haven't worked out how many kts that is !

5.16 knots from North Head to Poole Fairway?

colhel

Visit site
Colhel,

Looking at the tidal stream atlas, there could be nearly 2 knots of tide. I did this last year and it was about 2.5 hours from the Needles to the entrance, the distance is about 12 Nm.
Waiting at Studland may be a good idea, if only to give others a chance to explore somewhere they might not have been.
As I said, I'm not sure if my sums are right with the tides, so it be good to hear other peoples opinions.
if i am right, there's certainly no need for alarm, just be aware that the last leg could get a bit boring :)

Seajet

Visit site
Phil,

If taking the North Passage around Hurst Castle headed for Poole from Yarmouth / the Solent - which I recommend in calm conditions -

N Head buoy ( big green can ) is easy to find on a compass / gps course but only after a mile or so, it will not be visible straightaway; I've been round it quite a few times, one can't see it when round Hurst so has to keep a course, it soon shows up.

Beware during West going Ebb tides - which we want - there is a strong set the South onto the Shingles shoals, so keep up into the beach a little - this is all easy eyesight stuff, nothing to get alarmed about, just keep in mind and keep an eye on one's position; this is close quarters stuff relying on bearings but mainly eyesight, not GPS.

From the N head buoy it's basically a visible bee-line to Anvil Point S of Poole entrance then when closing within a mile or two we spot Poole Fairways buoy and join the shiipping channel, keepiing to port so as to join the small shipping channel on the West side.

I will have to look up my almanac - as soon as I can find the thing I just bought - but I don't recall the tides allowing me to bide a wee at Studland.

As I say will have to check - been a while since I went directly West - but it would be great if we should have to anchor at Studland, a wonderful spot with an entrancing walk up from the sandy beach to the Bankes' Arms with a garden view over the bay and more

The Small Craft Channel is on the Western side of the approach into Poole, aim into it from the Fairway buoy and make it obvious one is doing so to any ferries; it is common to see / endure prats in high speed power boats at this point, treat them with as much disdain as they do the regulations; " Forgive them, for they know no better " !.:)

Beware strong tides in the entrance, have engine ready and watch out for the chain ferry.

Last edited:

PhillM

Visit site
Anchoring, now that's another thing I need to practice. Only tried it once. Not my best afternoon. Chose the wrong place, dragged, kids panicked, not my finest hour. Mine you nobody died of it.

Re swimming, well I did buy a cheap wetsuit off eBay last week, just in case I needed to go over the side to clear the prop or somthing. Now for a new boarding ladder or scramble net.

prv

Visit site
I'm expecting us to possibly need to tread water somewhere before entering Poole. Anchor up and go for a swim perhaps? :D

Anchor off Studland, certainly - but a bit early in the year temperature-wise for a swim methinks (calm down at the back there Searush!).

Pete