Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Novice Cruise - Spring 2012

Paul_G

Visit site
I've never booked a spot in Yarmouth before, although I agree it makes sense for a big group of us like this to do so.

They do have a "Harbour Full" sign though, and it does get used, just I've not been unlucky enough to see it.

Pete

Unfortunately I have on a couple of occasions before the reorganisation

p

lustyd

Visit site
That harbour full sign has been up every time I've been there and I've always been given a berth. Another reason that Yarmouth is not my favourite place to stay :)

Paul_G

Visit site
Same here Paul, the 'Harbour Full' sign requiring a diversion to Lymington wasn't the most welcome sight after a usually bouncy ride in the Western Solent !

It seems Russell has this under control though.

Andy

Fortunately the last time I was there with the "harbour full" I had a berth booked so it wasn't an issue. I think with the reorg of berthing it may be a more common sight so I'm glad we've reserved places this time.

P

lustyd

Visit site
I've finally booked with Poole (who didn't need a card number after all) and sent Russell the money for Yarmouth :)

lustyd

Visit site
Hi Russell,

my thinking at this stage is I ( and I think some others ) will be at Cowes over Thursday night, so do please feel free to pass Dan my e-mail address.

Andy

My plan for the Thursday is to stay at East Cowes. No need to book as it'll be a Thursday so plenty of space and cheaper too :)

fireball

Visit site
That harbour full sign has been up every time I've been there and I've always been given a berth. Another reason that Yarmouth is not my favourite place to stay :)

The advantage of the smaller vessel is that it's far easier to accommodate ... the Harbour Full sign is possibly put up for the benefit of those with the slightly longer vessels ...

lustyd

Visit site
The advantage of the smaller vessel is that it's far easier to accommodate ... the Harbour Full sign is possibly put up for the benefit of those with the slightly longer vessels ...

They were still letting 40 foot mobos in so I doubt that.

PhillM

Visit site
I am really looking forward to this trip. its going to be greatto start sailing out of the Solent and doing it in company is a great way to start.

I know that all our plans are weather dependent. My usual rule of thumb is: max wind F4 gusting 5, sea smooth or slight, visability good. Any sign of a forcast 6, moderate sea or poor vis and I stay in the marina.

I usually use www.sailingweather.co.uk as well as the inshore forcast. Most of the time they are similar but Sailing Weather forcasts are more localliased and there were a couple of occasions last year when taking the inshore forcast only would have kept us in but the Sailingweather forcast (correctly) predicted less wind and sea within the Solent and one occasion when it forcast more (again rightly) and we stayed in.

What is everyone's idea of "go" and "no go" weather.

Seajet

Visit site
PhillM,

I'd agree with F4 gusting 5 as a sensible limit; and we could do without any wind on the nose, a SW would be a PITA !

I usually take the North Channel, much better - shorter and calmer - than going out to the Needles, one just rounds Hurst reasonably close ( no heroics here ! ) then keeps parallel to the shore with N Head buoy as a waypoint - it's not far -I forget the distance - but the buoy is usually difficult to spot for a little while.

At this stage the tide sets S towards the Shingles, not a worry just something to keep an eye on.

Once the green cone N Head has been left to port, the way is clear and one can set a rhumb line straight for Anvil Point, which may or may not be visible !

I always make for Poole Fairway buoy and enter using the W side of the main entrance, small boat channel.

I really don't fancy the Swashway, did try it once on leaving Poole in perfect conditions and it was a doddle, but my eyes were on the depthsounder...think it's been dredged & marked better since then.

Also, it's a few years since I've been to Poole and I don't have a new almanac, does anyone know if the fuel barge is still there on the N side of Brownsea ? Very handy not just for fuel ( petrol in my case ) but also has basic foods, water, booze...

BTW PhilM, hope you don't mind but just looked up your profile & see you have a Cheverton Caravelle, lovely pretty boats, I thought about getting one a while ago.

I really hope the weather is kind to us; I wonder if we ought to have a Plan B weekend in mind; not least as, if we go to the trouble of sorting that, it makes Plan A more likely to work out !

Andy

PhillM

Visit site
PhillM,

BTW PhilM, hope you don't mind but just looked up your profile & see you have a Cheverton Caravelle, lovely pretty boats, I thought about getting one a while ago.

Andy

Thanks Andy. Got her for very little but with lots to do. Have done loads and am hoping to have her A1 for the trip. Mind you the more I do the more I find to do!

prv

Visit site
Also, it's a few years since I've been to Poole and I don't have a new almanac, does anyone know if the fuel barge is still there on the N side of Brownsea ? Very handy not just for fuel ( petrol in my case ) but also has basic foods, water, booze...

Was last year - and joined by an ice-cream barge if I remember rightly :)

Pete