Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Cruise - Spring 2013

Seajet

Visit site
Any more takers out there ?

To repeat, the plan weather allowing is for boats from Chichester to leave there on Thursday 25th April for East Cowes Marina, on to meet the main fleet at Berthon Marina at Lymington on the Friday, and to Poole Town Quay Marina on Saturday 27th.

Boats to return as they desire and the weather permits, I and several others plan to stay on a few days to visit Wareham and South Deep.

Andy

chubby

www.flickr.com
Do we know how many boats are going and are spaces booked in the marinas for a possibly large number of boats?

I may well be singlehanding on Dabchick but will have my dinghy as my mooring doesnt link to the shore.

Dabchick can be a b*****ger in marinas so the linear visitors pontoon in the Medina and the fore and aft bouys of Lymington town quay and right next to Berthons have some attraction: if I am bigger than some of the boats anyone is welcome to raft to Dabchick.

I have the monday and tues of the next week off to let me have a bit of time in Poole before heading back, but my draft (1.4M ) may not get to Wareham but up for South Deep, Pottery pier or Arne depending on wind etc.

Seajet

Visit site
Hi Chubby,

26 boats at my last count but I'm reliably informed nothing like as many as that will be along on the day - or we may cause a few heart attacks !

If you're coming to Cowes on the Thursday I'll let them know nearer the time, the plan is East Cowes Marina though there's nothing to stop you going in the Medina and using your dinghy I suppose.

If you give us a chance to get there first we'll try to have someone waiting on the pontoon to take lines, at all places - I see Dabchick is a Barbary, I forget is she 33 or 35' ?

The stopover places are broadly aware of us but we can't tell them anything too useful at this stage, they have said ' OK, let us know nearer the time '.

Andy

chubby

www.flickr.com
Hi Andy, the sight of a befendered Dabchick ( all 32ft 6) approaching a marina has be known to produce fear and trembling in the most stoical seafarer, I could always arrange a pilot and tugs, no forget that.....big c**ck up when the marina dorey in SPP acted as a tug and pushed on the stern instead of pulling...never happens when they berth the big grey ships in pompey!, cheers John

Zagato

Visit site
Glad your coming along Chubby, it will give me something sturdy to crash into :D Stopping isn't one of my best manoeuvres but getting away I'm getting good at, just gun the engine and OK it may scrape down the side of some boat for a while and bounce off the bow of another until I'm pointing in the direction but it gets me there in the end and no real harm done, lets face it life is too short to worry about a few scratches ;).

Ru88ell

Visit site
The issue could be around Lymington. At least with Yarmouth we could pay a small sum and have guaranteed spaces; I also confirmed paid numbers and boat lengths. Am I right in thinking that Berthon is going to be first come first served? If so, should we be reconsidering?

If spaces are at a premium because of numbers we may have to take deposits to keep people focused.

chubby

www.flickr.com
Glad your coming along Chubby, it will give me something sturdy to crash into Stopping isn't one of my best manoeuvres but getting away I'm getting good at, just gun the engine and OK it may scrape down the side of some boat for a while and bounce off the bow of another until I'm pointing in the direction but it gets me there in the end and no real harm done, lets face it life is too short to worry about a few scratches

thats what bowsprits are for: to fend off other boats and save yours being scratched ;)

Seajet

Visit site
The issue could be around Lymington. At least with Yarmouth we could pay a small sum and have guaranteed spaces; I also confirmed paid numbers and boat lengths. Am I right in thinking that Berthon is going to be first come first served? If so, should we be reconsidering?

If spaces are at a premium because of numbers we may have to take deposits to keep people focused.

Russell,

I think we'll be OK at Lymington; PM on the way.

Andy

RobinBirch

Visit site
Might be worth having at chat with the Harbour Master, Lymington re the use of the Dan Bran pontoon should it be available. We've used the facility for Hillyard meets.

prv

Visit site
There is always the bouys at lymington to overflow onto if the visitors berths at berthon are swamped by a huge turnout of scuttlebuters

There is, but many of the boats are too small to carry a useful dinghy. Hell, Dave Lusty's boat practically *is* a dinghy :D

Not a problem affecting me now we have the bigger boat, but I know on KS I only put the dinghy aboard when I had specific plans to use it - even deflated and rolled up, it dominated the cabin top and foredeck and made the cabin very gloomy. I can't imagine trying to stow one on Russell's Cape Cutter.

(Now he'll prove me wrong with an elegant and capacious stowage solution, I bet :) )

Pete

Seajet

Visit site
Robin,

thanks; Berthon is Plan A, they are expecting us; but the good thing about Lymington ( especially compared to Yarmouth ) is that there are lots of options, even if as a worst case we get a little dispersed then meet up by foot / dinghy.

prv

Visit site
Bugger, we were noticed then! :eek:

Clearly I didn't notice very much, though - in my mind, yours and Dave's boats were sister-ships, but reading profiles I see yours is a Leisure 17 and Dave's is a Vivacity 20. How I managed to not see the 3' difference I have no idea. I thought they were both about the size of a Wayfarer :D

Pete

lustyd

Visit site
Clearly I didn't notice very much, though - in my mind, yours and Dave's boats were sister-ships, but reading profiles I see yours is a Leisure 17 and Dave's is a Vivacity 20. How I managed to not see the 3' difference I have no idea. I thought they were both about the size of a Wayfarer :D

Pete

These big boat owners, no respect for us little guys... :)

I don't think the 3' is all that obvious to be fair although mine was certainly bigger on the inside. For some reason, despite being there for what seemed like weeks I don't have a picture of us in Yarmouth to look back at.