Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Cruise - Spring 2013

Seajet

Visit site
Cowes

For those going to Cowes, or anyone interested, I have the chartlet of the 'new' small craft channel in case anyone hasn't ( top tip, binoculars are very handy the first time one tries it ) but I can't post images with this new format forum, it's driving me nuts !

So if of interest please PM me and I can send it by e-mail.

Andy

PhillM

Visit site
OK so its looking like its time to start this years spotters guide. I still have all the details from last year, but it this is your first, please PM me your email address. I then need a few details and a picuture. I plan to get a draft out to the group by the end of Feb so everyone can then give amends and edits in good time.

Ru88ell

Visit site
I plan to get a draft out to the group by the end of Feb so everyone can then give amends and edits in good time.

Last time we ended up with quite a few names on the original list who we never heard from. On that basis are we safe to assume that not submitting info to PhillM means that you want your name removed from the list?

Seajet

Visit site
Bear with, Tomortow I will get out what I did last year and let you know what we wrote for each entry.

I hope you edit whatever you wrote against my name last year ! :)

I think there's some merit in Russells' suggestion, we need to know if people are serious so as not to mess marina people around, and possibly allow space for other late comers ?

Ru88ell

Visit site
I think there's some merit in Russells' suggestion, we need to know if people are serious so as not to mess marina people around, and possibly allow space for other late comers ?

The £5 deposit for Yarmouth created commitment last year, and we were able to tell them names of boats to expect and the lengths.

Seajet

Visit site
Ru88ell,

I appreciate that, but I have spoken to the destinations and Lymington in particular didn't fancy the idea of deposits, ' too much hassle for them and us ' which I can understand.

On the other hand, I was keen last year, paid my deposit and still couldn't make it !

We just have to trust to peoples' decency that they won't mess us or the marinas around without good reason; if not deposits, any other ideas ? ' A snog with the Poole Carnival Queen if you turn up ' ???!...*

Andy

* Poole Carnival Queen may not be strictly available, may be substituted by volunteers from Poole quay...

Last edited:

Ru88ell

Visit site
I'm not suggesting that we need to take deposits, just that we need some sort of measure of commitment like a cut off point. Being in the Spotter's Guide could be that. The alternative is that we have to be prepared for 30 or 40 boats turning up if the weather looks promising a few days ahead of the weekend in question. Nipping to Poole isn't quite the same as crossing to Cherbourg.

prv

Visit site
Any details in particular Phil, or just name and boat type, name, description?

Last year we had:

Forum name
Real name
Names of crew (if any)
Email address
Phone number
Description of boat
Photo of boat
MMSI and callsign
Rough idea of time and place of departure, so that nearby people could meet up on the way

The list with all this information was only sent to confirmed participants (same again this year please), not posted in public.

Pete

Seajet

Visit site
As for ' rough idea of time and place of departure so that nearby people could meet up on the way ',

I'm hoping we from Chichester for instance can do a lot better than that, be in contact beforehand and in contact as we set off then meet at Chi and Langstone entrances.

That being said, we're still working on the ' Smoke on, GO ' as we pass the Royal Yacht Squadron in Diamond 9 formation....

Andy

PhillM

Visit site
Last year we had:

Forum name
Real name
Names of crew (if any)
Email address
Phone number
Description of boat
Photo of boat
MMSI and callsign
Rough idea of time and place of departure, so that nearby people could meet up on the way

The list with all this information was only sent to confirmed participants (same again this year please), not posted in public.

Pete

All info will be kept strictly to the circulation list of confirmed attendees. To personal email only, nothing public.

Thanks for the pm's so far.

Seajet

Visit site
I'm trying to keep a handle on our little fleet ( and let's face it, the ' A ' fleet ! :) ) going from Chichester / Langstone to East Cowes Marina on Thursday 25th April;

no big deal, but so far I have;

Ru88ell

Giblets

LustyD

Zagato

Chubby

Ronmarsden

Seajet

---

Any others ?

Andy

ronmarson

Visit site
So, please tell a poor lost old man, how do you send pics.
I haven't felt this frustrated since I was 17, is this computer trying to be thick, or is it me.
Answers on the back of a sealed envelope of on a postcard please.
Capt. RoN

prv

Visit site
As for ' rough idea of time and place of departure so that nearby people could meet up on the way ',

I'm hoping we from Chichester for instance can do a lot better than that, be in contact beforehand and in contact as we set off then meet at Chi and Langstone entrances.

Well, yes, but to do that you need to know who is setting off from Chichester on Thursday morning so you can get in touch with them, don't you? Which is the purpose of the "rough idea of time and place" on the list.

Pete

Ru88ell

Visit site
So, please tell a poor lost old man, how do you send pics.
I haven't felt this frustrated since I was 17, is this computer trying to be thick, or is it me.
Answers on the back of a sealed envelope of on a postcard please.
Capt. RoN

PM PhillM for his email address.

Zagato

Visit site
The plan weather allowing is for boats from Chichester to leave there on Thursday 25th April for East Cowes Marina, on to meet the main fleet at Berthon Marina at Lymington on the Friday, and to Poole Town Quay Marina on Saturday 27th.

Boats to return as they desire and the weather permits, I and several others plan to stay on a few days to visit Wareham and South Deep.

Andy

Although tempting to carry on until the Caribbean :D I would prefer to get back fairly sharpish so won't be able to spend a few days in Wareham/South Deep (no problem if I can't get back however, not sure if 3'6" will get into Wareham!).

Is anyone else thinking of heading back on the Sunday/Monday? Think Andy said the tides were not great for the return journey, could do with a bit of guidance getting back through the Needles around this time if it is possible!

Monday Poole to Yarmouth/Lymington
Tuesday Cowes
Wednesday Chi Harbour

I presume we can book berths for the return legs nearer the time with smaller numbers expected.

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
Is anyone else thinking of heading back on the Sunday/Monday?

Yes, I will be. Seeing as we specifically bought this boat in order to be faster than the type of boat you have, though, I can't promise that we'll be cruising in company :D

Looks like fair tides in through the Needles until about 1pm, and you'd get in against the beginnings of the flood anyway if you were a little late. Just make sure you set off in good time.

Once you're inside, trying to hack up the Western Solent against the tide in a small boat is a bit of a mug's game - though it can be done as I proved in KS last year when I stayed for a very pleasant fryup with Colhel and Chrissie instead of leaving at a seamanlike time (too bloody early!) to catch the tide. With the wind foul as well, I kept everything stowed and just motored home; against my usual practice, but needs must. So I guess your options are to stop at Yarmouth to wait for the tide, or get over into the shallower parts on the northern side and just crack on with it, resorting to tin topsail if necessary.

Pete

EDIT: D'oh! Just realised I was looking at the weekend of the 13th of April, which I think was the old date. On the 28th, the tide turns slightly earlier at the Needles (not enough to make a major different to plans) and it's a bit springier.

Last edited:

Ru88ell

Visit site
Is anyone else thinking of heading back on the Sunday/Monday? Think Andy said the tides were not great for the return journey, could do with a bit of guidance getting back through the Needles around this time if it is possible!

I'll be heading back, and if conditions are good may go south of IOW to Bembridge, then make Northney the day after. If not I'll get as far as I can up Lake Solent, and maybe crash out in the Beaulieu river. There are loads of options really, so we can just go for it and see what happens. ;-)