Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Cruise - Spring 2013

Moonshining

picnicsintheharbour.blogspot.com
I'm trying to keep a handle on our little fleet ( and let's face it, the ' A ' fleet ! :) ) going from Chichester / Langstone to East Cowes Marina on Thursday 25th April;

no big deal, but so far I have;

Ru88ell

Giblets

LustyD

Zagato

Chubby

Ronmarsden

Seajet

---

Any others ?

Andy

We're coming from Chi, but I'm not sure whether we'll be leaving on Thursday or Friday morning.

There's also a small chance that we'll be using Poole as first stop on the way to taking Moonshine to Falmouth for the summer, so won't be heading back east, but the window for me to sort out the logistics of that is closing.

Seajet

Visit site
Zagato,

the main reason I was against the idea of people returning on the Sunday is that we'll only be getting to Poole Quay marina in the late afternoon at earliest, so if you're not careful all you'll see of Poole will be with a torch and a camera flash before you're off again !

Then again I know people who've done long cruises like that for years, they notch up an impressive list of places visited, then one fiinds they've basically just crashed out exhausted at each stop...

Still if you have to get back, that's all there is to it.

If anyone has to ' be back at the office ' etc and the weather plays up, there is a good rail link from Poole ( and a station at Wareham which I imagine is a bit more limited but still does the job ) and I expect the harbourmaster could suggest a cheaper, safe place to leave boats; some of us may well be around to keep an eye too.

' Got to be back Monday ' has caused more hairy sails in bad conditions than anything else I'm sure, I've been had that way myself and vowed ' never again '.

Andy

prv

Visit site
if you're not careful all you'll see of Poole will be with a torch and a camera flash before you're off again !

It's only Poole, not Venice or the Taj Mahal :). The main part of it I expect to see is the inside of a pub and my fellow Scuttlebutters' faces :D. Plus perhaps some other people's boats, which is always interesting.

Pete

Simondjuk

Visit site
For those weighing up their options, we regularly did Chi to Yarmouth with the fair tide in a 25 footer, so it's by no means essential for those in smaller vessels to make a Thursday start if commitments prevent it.

As we planned last year, if it's a nice day for it, we may well go round the bottom of the island on the way home.

Giblets

Visit site
For those weighing up their options, we regularly did Chi to Yarmouth with the fair tide in a 25 footer, so it's by no means essential for those in smaller vessels to make a Thursday start if commitments prevent it.

Some of us need a bit of a refresher course in Cowes for the anticipated drinking sessions planned in Lymington and Poole! ;)

Seajet

Visit site
Simon,

yes but that's an Evolution 25, a pretty fast 25 !

I've done Chi - Lymington or Yarmouth quite a few times in the Anderson 22, and for that matter Poole quay to Chichester, in single hops but I'd be first to admit the conditions have to be fairly favourable unless I have a keen crew to give me a reason.

For those with Leisure 17' and Vivacity 20' twin keelers, it would be pretty good going to make Yarmouth in one hit, and I for one am trying to leave ' sailing as an endurance test ' ( far ) behind in my teeneage years, fortunately we have the time available.

I agree it's entirely feasible in one hit in the right conditions for almost any boat if they feel they have to.

Same goes for returning on the Sunday, it's not ideal but some people just haven't got the time, I know someone who really wanted to come but can't make even the Thursday - Sunday, sadly.

colhel

Visit site
For onformation only: On the planned Scuttlebutt last year I left the mooring at Lake (begining of Wareham Channel) and arrived at Yarmouth just under 4 hours later, this was acheived by catching the tide just right. Our boat is a Leisure 23SL.
Back in November I had the pleasure of crewing for Ladyinbed of these forum, We made Cowes to Wareham Channel in abot 5 hours. We left a little late and had to sit just outside Wareham to wait for the tide. This was in a Colvic Countess.
These times were only acheivable by using the tides and PVR say's they're quite springy on this weekend.

Seajet

Visit site
We're coming from Chi, but I'm not sure whether we'll be leaving on Thursday or Friday morning.

There's also a small chance that we'll be using Poole as first stop on the way to taking Moonshine to Falmouth for the summer, so won't be heading back east, but the window for me to sort out the logistics of that is closing.

Moonshining,

if you're joining us please let PhillM, Ru88ell or me know when you can, also something for Phill to put on the spotters' guide would be good; hope to see you along.

Hope you manage Falmouth for summer, now that makes me very jealous indeed !

Andy

Giblets

Visit site
Pardon me for not having followed or read through this whole thread.

Are there any plans to come to Lymington and would drinking/eating in the Sailing Club be of interest ?

Can't speak for the others but I would certainly prefer to eat/drink in the Club. :cool:

Are we talking the Royal or Town here and if so will DJ's required to be worn? :D

Seajet

Visit site
Hi Nick,

when we last spoke it seemed the LTSC was unable to provide meals that evening due to a function being already organised, is that no longer the case ?

I'm sure we'd all be very keen just to meet you for a drink if that's easier...

Andy

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
Hi Nick,

when we last spoke it seemed the LTSC was unable to provide meals that evening due to a function being already organised, is that no longer the case ?

I'm sure we'd all be very keen just to meet you for a drink if that's easier...

Andy
You're right, I forgot about that. Its a St Georges dinner so will be heaving.

Will have to find a pub somewhere else if you want to stop over on the Friday night, but there is plenty to choose from !