Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Cruise - Spring 2013

Ru88ell

Visit site
Latest version of the Spotter's Guide has been emailed this morning. I'll do another version this afternoon if I get any updates before then.

If you've not had one it's because I don't have your details.

lustyd

Visit site
One important reminder for everyone is don't forget sun cream (I got burned this weekend) and don't forget thermals as its still very cold at sea, especially at night and early mornings.

prv

Visit site
don't forget thermals as its still very cold at sea, especially at night and early mornings.

Eberspacher-D2.jpg

:p :D

Pete

Zagato

Visit site
Russ & Lustyd I presume we are aiming for 12.00 to catch the tide from Chi on Thursday...

Russ I was going to come down on Wednesday morning to the boat but boy has C/Pox so will be coming down later than planned probably Wednesday evening!

The spotters guide looks good, some mighty impressively sized boats coming along which is good to know re drafts!! I will be sailing on my own... and I have lost my 'Book Bible' with all necessary info (kids have swiped it I should think for colouring :rolleyes:!) so don't know off hand what my call sign is but details are on the boat...

Last edited:

Ru88ell

Visit site
Final edit just sent out.

Please don't forget your nibbles for the pontoon party, and your item for Colin's raffle.

prv

Visit site
Please don't forget your nibbles for the pontoon party

+1. Also fingers crossed for sun - the forecasts currently look a little damp for friday late afternoon, but there's still time for that to change.

Are we doing forum-name / real-name stickers like at Cherbourg?

Pete

colhel

Visit site
Can I just check that my idea of timings matches other people's? As I mentioned upthread, we're likely to have a borrowed cabin boy for the Saturday whose parents will need to know when and where to hand him over.

Change of tide through Hurst looks to be about midday, so I'm going to tell people we're leaving Berthon at 11 (and suspect it may be a bit after that by the time we actually cast off).

It's 15 miles or so from Hurst to Studland (measured inaccurately across the Shingles, but then we don't know what the wind will be so precision is pointless). Call it three hours. Add some time for fannying about and getting ashore and we should be in this pub for 4pm? Or is that a bit ambitious; I don't really know where it is?

We don't really want to keep him on board till Poole, as I'm told that's past his bedtime :)

Pete

Looking at the forecast Pete, I'd suggest trying to get to Poole by 1500 and heading straight for the marina, you'll have a flood tide to help you in so you should be in the pub half an hour later. After 1600 the (according to Easytide) the harbour starts to ebb which may slow the slower boats down, but I think I'd still prefer this than sitting it out at Studland. You can save this for another day, now you have Poole Bay ticked off.

Chrissie

Visit site
I already have the name tag thing in hand. I have a number of ' promotional ' lanyards and have made tags for each skipper on the list and have stickers for crew. Sorry, I probably should have said. Alan

My crew is called Charlie, Im sure he would love one too please! Chrissie

lustyd

Visit site
Another little question - I assume you're all smart enough to read my blog so have seen the wide angle pics of my boat :D. Would it be useful to anyone for me to bring the "big" camera and the wide lens for inside shots of your boats? No charge, but no point me packing the camera if nobody would like those shots.

prv

Visit site
Looking at the forecast Pete, I'd suggest trying to get to Poole by 1500 and heading straight for the marina, you'll have a flood tide to help you in so you should be in the pub half an hour later. After 1600 the (according to Easytide) the harbour starts to ebb which may slow the slower boats down, but I think I'd still prefer this than sitting it out at Studland. You can save this for another day, now you have Poole Bay ticked off.

Yes, it does sound like the Studland part of the plan is going by the board. No worries, I've anchored there before and I'm sure I will do again, and getting straight to Poole makes putting The Boy ashore before bedtime easier anyway.

Pete