Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Cruise - Spring 2013

Seajet

Visit site
They have. No need for chartlets etc it's now ruddy obvious where to go, big improvement over last year.

LustyD,

Ta for that; I'd still say binoculars and depthsounder going would be a good idea for those new to Cowes and going for this Small Craft Channel, the Shrape is something best kept at a slight distance.

Have fun everyone,

Andy

lustyd

Visit site
LustyD,

Ta for that; I'd still say binoculars and depthsounder going would be a good idea for those new to Cowes and going for this Small Craft Channel, the Shrape is something best kept at a slight distance.

Have fun everyone,

Andy

No need for either now I was there today. Go past shrape stick and you immediately are between the first bouys (green and red now). The second set are straight ahead again green and red then you're next to the 4 yellow shapes now further apart.

Zagato

Visit site
Took the wife & kids out for the first time yesterday and met up with Ru88ell and his wife at East Head. I wasn't keen on anchoring but no problem, just grounded her on a rising tide and Russ rafted up alongside. Perfect calm conditions F3, out for nearly 6hours, kids were fine with loads of toys playing down below. Great, satisfying day after all the hard work, nice for the family to get some experience out of the boat. Forgot to take any pics of kids on board :rolleyes: but one from yesterday.

IMG_3087_zps42f6775e.jpg

New water trap seems to have sorted out the leak :D

ronmarson

Visit site
I'm glad you are all enjoying your sailing.
The man that drives the hoist is sick so I am still stuck at the back of the yard, dreaming of the day......
Hope to find some one to dump me in the 'oggin early in the week so I can prepare for the big trip.
Nothing goes smoothly.
I would like to meet the others leaving from Kemps and it's environs.
07867637620 if you are about during the week.
Capt.Ron

lustyd

Visit site
No need for either now I was there today. Go past shrape stick and you immediately are between the first bouys (green and red now). The second set are straight ahead again green and red then you're next to the 4 yellow shapes now further apart.

I also went past this in the dark this morning and it's now well lit. On the way into Cowes, immediately after Shrape there are a pair of lit red/greens then a turn to port of around 20-30 degrees to aim at the next lit red/greens. A third set of lit red/greens are then straight ahead which then widens into the lit yellow buoys which were all there before. Coming from Cowes if you turn between the yellows it's dead straight until the last set which will lead you directly to port of Shrape. There is a chartlet at http://www.cowesharbourcommission.co.uk/documents/12of2013SmallCraftChannel.pdf and I can confirm it now is as easy as it looks!

Ru88ell

Visit site
Took the wife & kids out for the first time yesterday and met up with Ru88ell and his wife at East Head. I wasn't keen on anchoring but no problem, just grounded her on a rising tide and Russ rafted up alongside. Perfect calm conditions F3, out for nearly 6hours, kids were fine with loads of toys playing down below. Great, satisfying day after all the hard work, nice for the family to get some experience out of the boat. Forgot to take any pics of kids on board :rolleyes: but one from yesterday.

IMG_3087_zps42f6775e.jpg

New water trap seems to have sorted out the leak :D

Yes Chris, it was great to meet up for an hour ahead of Poole. Lovely boat, and top mariner skills.

Ru88ell

Visit site
Forecasts for Saturday show northerlies - great for crossing to Poole, but probably pants for anchoring at Studland. Speaking to LustyD today he suggested Bournmouth. Is that actually a place to stop? What other suggestions do we have should these northerlies turn up?

Seajet

Visit site
I wouldn't dream of stopping at Bournemouth, have a look at the charts...

Among several problems it would put one in line for the shallow Swashway channel into Poole, which is not for first timers, you need to go for the Fairway buoy.

If Studland really is untenable - and it's actually sheltered in a light to medium Northerly - I'd plug against the tide and go into Poole.

There's the fuel barge with diesel and petrol ( also supplies tinned food, bread, milk, beer even ! ) just beyond Brownsea Island.

Last edited:

chubby

www.flickr.com
Just beginning to think of practicalities now it is less than a week away, the weather looks reasonable on the various interpretations of the models such as xc weather etc.

HW Portsmouth is 1144 on Thursday so will load up in the morning, head down harbour as the flood eases and catch the west going to Cowes getting there mid afternoon, I assume we are going to East Cowes marina so will go where easiest to get in or as directed: are they expecting us? I may well be there before the smaller boats from Chi arrive so anyone is welcome to raft up if needed. Shouldn't be too busy on a Thursday in April?

So I know about storing ship, do people mainly eat aboard or in the nearest pub: the Lifeboat near East Cowes Marina, any good? usually go up to the Folly.

Some have their MMSI numbers listed but not really into DSC but do we want a working channel, say 77?

Cowes to Lymington should be a short run on Friday`s westgoing in the afternoon from HW at 1225.

I gather Berthon have a berthing plan?

Tempting fate to plan to much for sat but assume again depart towards Poole as soon as the west going starts?

If Studland is untenable then there are anchorages inside Poole such as South deep or off Shipstall point, or if you want the flesh pots then I guess Poole yacht haven but pricey, although Mrs Chubby threatens a visit to inspect the fleet over the weekend so might expect Dabchick to be accessible

I have an exit visa until tues evening so will think about the return then!

Do those plans seem Ok at least for the beginning of the trip?

Ru88ell

Visit site
Chubby

Working channel is 08 - we decided it last year. Best forget DSC - I don't even know how to answer a call to my set.

I'm going to anchor at East Head on Wednesday, and will probably meet LustyD and Zagato there on Thursday am. We use the north end of East Cowes where we can all get together. Berth on and Poole Quay will get a berthing list from me.

Foodwise, I'll be feeding myself during the day but probably teaming up with others in the evenings. I think that was what we did last time. There won't be any serious drinking in my boat - you'll need to be in prv's for that.

chubby

www.flickr.com
Sounds good, will keep an ear open on Ch 08 and aim for the visitors area at the north end of East Cowes, Are we aiming for Poole Yacht haven then, or whatever they call the visitor's area by the Town Quay? What day are they expecting us, just in case Mrs Chubby wants to visit?

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
I wouldn't dream of stopping at Bournemouth, have a look at the charts...

Among several problems it would put one in line for the shallow Swashway channel into Poole, which is not for first timers, you need to go for the Fairway buoy.

If Studland really is untenable - and it's actually sheltered in a light to medium Northerly - I'd plug against the tide and go into Poole.

There's the fuel barge with diesel and petrol ( also supplies tinned food, bread, milk, beer even ! ) just beyond Brownsea Island.

Yes, I think LustyD must have been mis-heard as there's absolutely nowhere to stop at Bournemouth. I thought the fuel barge had closed now? I could be wrong - I know there was talk.

Did you mean avoid the East Looe small boat channel? The Swash is the main channel to me (but it wouldn't surprise me to find I've been calling it the wrong thing for years - I'm good at that).

Seajet

Visit site
Yes, I think LustyD must have been mis-heard as there's absolutely nowhere to stop at Bournemouth. I thought the fuel barge had closed now? I could be wrong - I know there was talk.

Did you mean avoid the East Looe small boat channel? The Swash is the main channel to me (but it wouldn't surprise me to find I've been calling it the wrong thing for years - I'm good at that).

Hi G O G,

I think of the channel off to the East straight by Poole entrance and Sandbanks Hotel as the Swashway, maybe that's just my term though; don't have a chart to hand.

Whatever it's called it's a bit shallow and badly marked, or was when I once tried it.

I got various reports as to the fuel barge being closed or not, last I heard I was told it was still going but this needs checking !

South Deep as you mention is a truly lovely favourite anchorage, one can't go ashore, watch out for the depth ( soft mud seabed ) and the power cable marked by the usual yellow posts on shore, but it's absolutely idyllic.

You'd better check with Russell now, but my initial idea was East Cowes Marina on the Thursday, they just said to phone beforehand in the hope of getting the boats together but there should be plenty of room.

I have E Cowes Marina as 01983 293983, VHF 80 on approach.

Check with Russell for revised plans at Berthon and Poole Town Quay Marina ( the ' new ' one opposite the actual town quay ) who should be expecting you.

Have a great trip,

Andy

Ru88ell

Visit site
Er, I don't have Grumpy Old Git down on any of my lists of attendees, nor a deposit. Are you coming? If so I need a load of information from you PDQ.

lustyd

Visit site
I've not misheard anything, nor have I based that on hearing anything, I looked at the charts. In a northerly wind, Bournemouth will be protected and has a good bottom so I suggested it as an alternative. The north channel though Hurst will also likely be the better option in those conditions, giving a significantly shorter journey. Going to Studland is the tradition for Poole but only because the prevailing wind is south westerly. When the wind changes it's usual to look at the chart again and find other places to stop. I have anchored happily at Stokes Bay before while watching those who went for "the anchorage" at Osborne Bay get rolled around in the northerly chop. We must remember that from Poole entrance it's actually a 6 NM round trip to Studland, so quite far out of the way for a small boat, especially when the 3 NM up to the entrance would be dead to wind it's probably 2 hours there and back for an uncomfortable anchorage.

East Looe channel into Pool has sufficient water for a deep keeled 40 footer and is well marked so I've no idea why Seajet is so worried about it. First timers would have significantly fewer problems if the more experienced stopped telling them there be dragons out there!
ETA: The chart has the main channel marked as "Swash Channel"

I'm sure we'll discuss while on the trip and make better plans :)

Last edited:

lustyd

Visit site
For East Cowes I would suggest we all head for A9 and A8, the innermost section of the visiting yacht area (B is generally Mobos). Anyone calling them up may want to request this otherwise you'll end up on Q pontoon with much confusion - I was given 4 different occupied berth numbers this weekend before getting an empty one!! I generally only call them if I want a berth tucked away somewhere but for our mob the standard group area may be more appropriate.

Giblets

Visit site
Sorry, guys, but in the words of Dragon's Den, "I'm out". :(

Have just run out of time getting Booby ready for her move from dry berthing to a new swinging mooring in mid-May.

Hope you all have a great time and I will be looking forward to hearing tales of daring-do, seeing dramatic vids & pics and sympathising with monumental hangovers!

Pete

Zagato

Visit site
I hope newbie attendees such as myself are not losing confidence in the rally. I presume the more detailed route planning points being discussed at present would have been made by now but with the unforeseen absence of the more experienced members on the rally has the seen the firming up of plans gone slightly wayward.

I am also hoping once we get to each port, (especially Lymington) route plans with more detail such as escape points etc can be finalized by the more experienced folk we may get from the larger numbers present. For my own peace of mind I am also taking advice from the older guys who organize the Drascombe Association rallies. Nothing like guys with 50+ years of experience each in these waters to give you confidence... You gain so much from people with local knowledge! Err as well as major hang-overs :rolleyes: