Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Cruise - Spring 2013

prv

Visit site
Can I just check that my idea of timings matches other people's? As I mentioned upthread, we're likely to have a borrowed cabin boy for the Saturday whose parents will need to know when and where to hand him over.

Change of tide through Hurst looks to be about midday, so I'm going to tell people we're leaving Berthon at 11 (and suspect it may be a bit after that by the time we actually cast off).

It's 15 miles or so from Hurst to Studland (measured inaccurately across the Shingles, but then we don't know what the wind will be so precision is pointless). Call it three hours. Add some time for fannying about and getting ashore and we should be in this pub for 4pm? Or is that a bit ambitious; I don't really know where it is?

We don't really want to keep him on board till Poole, as I'm told that's past his bedtime :)

Pete

prv

Visit site
you can call it 3 hours in your big fancy boat if you like but I'll be calling it 4-5 in my little tub!

Actually I'm rather hoping it may be quicker :p

Have no real idea how the boat will perform; have a first test sail planned on Saturday but there doesn't look like being much wind. Dad met a bloke with the same boat who claimed to have got over ten knots out of his on a broad reach, but I'm not sure I believe him!

Pete

colhel

Visit site
3 hours to Studland seems about right if you time this from Hurst. Staying South of the Shingles will give an almost direct route and a stronger favourable current. If I were to take the North channel route close to shore I'd turn South at Bournemouth Pier and head for Old Harry thus avoiding Hook sands and the training wall.

Ru88ell

Visit site
ISTR Simon the weather bloke suggesting in his latest video that we could get north westerlies. That would do nicely to cross the bay, but maybe not so clever for staying there.

prv

Visit site
3 hours to Studland seems about right if you time this from Hurst. Staying South of the Shingles will give an almost direct route and a stronger favourable current. If I were to take the North channel route close to shore I'd turn South at Bournemouth Pier and head for Old Harry thus avoiding Hook sands and the training wall.

Ta - but it was more the getting to the pub I was wondering about :)

Pete

Ru88ell

Visit site
I'm going to be in Chichester Harbour this weekend for a rare weekend on the boat with aquaphobic SWMBO. Looking to RV with Zagato tomorrow lunchtime and maybe LustyD on Sunday sometime. Am I likely to see anyone else?

lustyd

Visit site
I'm going to be in Chichester Harbour this weekend for a rare weekend on the boat with aquaphobic SWMBO. Looking to RV with Zagato tomorrow lunchtime and maybe LustyD on Sunday sometime. Am I likely to see anyone else?

Magic will be easier to spot now, I finally stuck the name on this evening after a previous failure when it was too cold To stick :)

prv

Visit site

We're taking Ariam out for the first time :). Took today off work to finish all the things I didn't finish last weekend, and I am now tired and stinking of diesel, but the boat is ready to go.

Unlikely we'll end up in Chichester though.

Pete

prv

Visit site
Russell - just emailed you a pic of Ariam. Not a very good one, I really needed to be standing further back to get a decent angle, but if I'd tried that I'd have fallen in :D

Good enough for others on the trip to identify us, anyway.

Needless to say, all those with forum burgees should be proudly flying them.

Pete

lustyd

Visit site
We're taking Ariam out for the first time :). Took today off work to finish all the things I didn't finish last weekend, and I am now tired and stinking of diesel, but the boat is ready to go.

Unlikely we'll end up in Chichester though.

Pete

I'll be in East Cowes tonight probably drinking with crew in the Anchor so let me know if you end up over there.

lustyd

Visit site
Russell - just emailed you a pic of Ariam. Not a very good one, I really needed to be standing further back to get a decent angle, but if I'd tried that I'd have fallen in :D

Good enough for others on the trip to identify us, anyway.

Needless to say, all those with forum burgees should be proudly flying them.

Pete

My burgee is up :)

chubby

www.flickr.com

Dabchick may well be in Chi this weekend, so look out or give me a wave, conspicuous ketch motorsailor, just me, Mrs Chubby other plans, often go to the anchorage off Pilsey is as quieter than east head unless you plan to use the beach!
Looking forward to the Poole trip and meeting up in East Cowes in thurs
Chubby

prv

Visit site
I'll be in East Cowes tonight probably drinking with crew in the Anchor so let me know if you end up over there.

Thanks - but it's just a one-day test sail today. Tomorrow is planned for fixing any snags we discover :). If we don't find any, then I may well go out again Sunday with a mate who's itching to give the new boat a go, but either way I'll be in Southampton tonight.

Pete

Seajet

Visit site
Thanks - but it's just a one-day test sail today. Tomorrow is planned for fixing any snags we discover :). If we don't find any, then I may well go out again Sunday with a mate who's itching to give the new boat a go, but either way I'll be in Southampton tonight.

Pete

I have just received the rather excellent ' Cowes Yachting ' magazine from MDL marinas ( I'm just an occasional customer ) and see the Small craft Channel at Cowes is being extended to Egypt Point and fitted with better, lit buoys.

I don't want to infringe copyright so am going to ask Cowes Harbour Commissioners if they'll say something here, don't worry you won't get shot if unaware of the changes but I'll try to get info on here.

Or ask Cowes Harbour Commissioners...

Andy

lustyd

Visit site
I have just received the rather excellent ' Cowes Yachting ' magazine from MDL marinas ( I'm just an occasional customer ) and see the Small craft Channel at Cowes is being extended to Egypt Point and fitted with better, lit buoys.

I don't want to infringe copyright so am going to ask Cowes Harbour Commissioners if they'll say something here, don't worry you won't get shot if unaware of the changes but I'll try to get info on here.

Or ask Cowes Harbour Commissioners...

Andy

They have. No need for chartlets etc it's now ruddy obvious where to go, big improvement over last year.