Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Cruise - Spring 2013

stranded

Visit site
Work is trying to put its usual spanner in the works. Will not now arrive back in UK until v. early Saturday morning (Ethiopian Airlines willing!) so will be playing catch-up. What sort of time are those with the worst hangovers planning on leaving Lymington on Saturday? Mark

prv

Visit site
What sort of time are those with the worst hangovers planning on leaving Lymington on Saturday? Mark

I think that due to the tides out through Hurst, it will be relatively late in the morning. It's a while since I looked but I think it was supposed to turn around midday. Lymington is not far away, so it won't be much before then that people are leaving.

The flood into Poole isn't until 6pm-ish either, hence the stop at Studland, so you have plenty of scope for catching up and arriving along with everybody else.

Pete

Zagato

Visit site
It's quite possible Ru88, I still havn't managed to get the sails up for the first time yet - YIKES. Every time I go to the boat something else goes expensively wrong. Need to buy and fit a new water trap and discovered a diesel leak yesterday, she is also not starting too well (details in PBO thread!). Only two more visits to the boat possible so could well be getting the sails up for the first time on the actual day!!

Whilst going through Chi lock yesterday to fill up with diesel she does seem to be easily manoeuvrable and controllable with the throttle, better than the Drascombe with an outboard actually which was a nice surprise. That is forwards of course!

We did have a bit of a moment coming back through the lock with a new lock keeper (he was the one who broke the gates over last weekend, yes angry chaos ensued apparently with folks not being able to get in or out!) with a gusting wind behind us and the water flowing out of the lock even with doors closed I couldn't hold her back from crashing into the lock gates, no amount of reverse was doing it, despite creeping in as slowly as I could. I grabbed onto the chains hanging down and with lots of shouting luckily she came to a halt. I think the lock keeper closed off the flow before we hit - phew, nice bloke BUT this is the second near miss in that lock due to poor operators.

The last young kid asked me to go to far forward for me on the wrong side I didn't have fenders out (when more keepers are on hand they hold the boat for you with a boat hook on the shrouds) this guy just let the water in full whack and I couldn't hold her, she went back and jammed across the lock with the bumpkin bending almost double. I could fill up at Sparkes but done that before once also!! Wow do I hanker for a simple no greif Drascombe at the moment. 28K and she's yours!

Zagato

Visit site
QUOTE - I may take Zephyr down the weekend before for a weekend with Swmbo. If you're there Zagato, we could catch up and agree where to meet on the Thursdaysail to Cowes.

RU88ell, it's not quoting, can't edit at the moment hance strange unlinked reply in previous post. Will stay in touch!

Zagato

Visit site
LOL, yes much relief now i have just read the answers on my leak on PBO, much happier now. Just need one problem free visit and get her out for sail and I'll appreciate her...

Ru88ell

Visit site
Just to confirm where we are with numbers, etc.

All confirmed.

Leaving Chichester Harbour on Thursday, staying in East Cowes, then heading off to Lymington on Friday:-
Ru88ell
Giblets
Lustyd
Zagato

Joining small boat fleet in East Cowes on Thursday
Chubby
Chrissie

Pitching up at Lymington on Friday:-
Moonshining
PRV
neilf39
Laundryman
Barryh
Simondjuk
PaulG
Newman
ronmarson

Already in Lymington:-
RadiumRob
Ohmaggie

Meeting us in Poole:-
Mudisox
Colhel - unless he can get to Lymington on Friday
boatingworld2004 - coming from Christchurch

Not heard from them since, so guess they're not coming:-
bedouin
Lodds
JimDL

Colhel has kindly offered to operate his legendary nautical themed raffle in aid of a charity to be decided over that weekend. Can each boat please donate (bring with them) something which they feel another yachtsman would be proud to keep on their boat? I just hope I don't win anything that PRV might bring. :p (This is a great way to swap your unwanted nautical tat for someone else's unwanted nautical tat!)

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
something which they feel another yachtsman would be proud to keep on their boat? I just hope I don't win anything that PRV might bring. :p

Oh, is this supposed to be a serious raffle rather than a comedy one, then? :)

(For context, at last year's Cherbourg raffle I put in a fender pump - genuinely useful nautical item, I thought, it just didn't fit the valves on my fenders - but adorned with a large label saying "Swedish Penis Enlarger Pump", which it rather resembled :D. Also threw in a surplus Yanmar sump oil measuring device (admittedly, less useful), again with large legible label saying "Some Old Dipstick". The winner's shipmates seemed to find this particularly appropriate and hilarious, for reasons that I am not privy to.)

Pete

PhillM

Visit site
STOP PRESS:

Holly will be in on Wednesday morning. Please send any updates to her email or PM me here and we (she) will get the definitive document out then.

Ru$$ell, can you please email Holly the final list on Tuesday evening. I will ask her to compile in groups based on departure points.

boatingworld2004

Visit site
Hi guys
Sorry in the delayed responce! Im not sure im going to make this trip as boat is still on the hard! Underestimated the time required having a new member of the family and winter boat jobs! With a bit of luck we might be in by then and hopefully pop to poole to meet some of you. Being christchurch based this is not to much of hop for us. Anyway hope everyone has a great time and the weather is kind

Have fun

Chris

Ru88ell

Visit site
Hi guys
Sorry in the delayed responce! Im not sure im going to make this trip as boat is still on the hard! Underestimated the time required having a new member of the family and winter boat jobs! With a bit of luck we might be in by then and hopefully pop to poole to meet some of you. Being christchurch based this is not to much of hop for us. Anyway hope everyone has a great time and the weather is kind

Have fun

Chris

Thanks Chris. I'll update the list later

Seajet

Visit site
When I were a lad Uni meant being in the pub on time regardless of the timetable :D

Years ago when my first keel corroded I found a nearby Uni' Marine Metallurgy Unit were investigating ' Accelerated Steel Corrosion ' and were keen to come for a look.

The top professor pronounced the erosion to the 3/4" steel plate was " due to the speed of the boat through the water " !

I was very flattered but not all that convinced...

I shook his hand and thanked him while making a mental note not to listen to any student this joker had taught.