Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Cruise - Spring 2013

prv

Visit site
Its 5 years since I last had one of those :confused:...

Me too. The bathroom in this house has room for a bath or a decent shower, not both. So when I rebuilt it all I went for a really good shower (4 foot square, with a level entry and fixed glass wall) and no bath. So yes, it's about five years since I last had a bath.

Pete

BarryH

Visit site
If anyone wants to come along for the trip. I am a daughter down so am now single handing. As an incentive a I have a decent collection of single malts and the beer locker is fully stocked with 10 types of Badger Ales.........

ronmarson

Visit site
With a boat loaded like that I could be tempted to leave my boat tied up and join you.
Capt. RoN
(only joking)
I will also be single handed so we can share our stories of heroic deeds when we meet in Poole.

PhillM

Visit site
Arghh , looks like I'm out.

Been to the boat today and while progress is good, I'm running out of time. I am hoping that the covers come off this week so I can get on with deck / topsides and AF - starting Easter. Even if I have perfect weather it will take 8 or 9 days of work to get her ready to launch. Then the mast needs to go back up, then the running rigging needs to be adjusted to suit the new main, then the engine sea trials, then I need to get everything back onto the boat, then I need to learn to handle her with the all new engine-rig-sail configs - then I might be ready for an overnight trip.

So with work committments, it looks like launch will be no earlier than 20th April and I just don't think I will be ready to go in time.

Thanks to everyone who has offered a berth, but to be honest, if I am running as late as I think I might, then I want to spend the time getting Paean ready instead of on a trip.

prv

Visit site
Arghh , looks like I'm out.

Booooo!

My boat probably ain't going to be fully finished by then either. But as long as it can keep the water outside, the crew inside, the mast standing and the rudder turning, a boat is officially seaworthy (I guess I'd add a functioning engine to those traditional four). I'm not expecting Ariam to be in commission before the 20th, but by hook or by crook I'm still gonna be there on the 26th.

Pete

Zagato

Visit site
There is always more to do than you anticipate and it always takes longer than you think!

After a long 9 month wait mine will finally go in the water next Thursday. The engine had already been serviced before it was laid up 2 winters ago so just needed fresh oil, new exhaust elbow on (old one had almost rusted through!), new diesel in the tank and she fired up instantly, briefly, so shouldn't have any worries there.

I worked out the rigging and got it all up 2 days ago just before the rain & snow. Fingers crossed it all goes well on Thursday, I have had two leaks now on two different boats and it costs £500 to crane them back out and re-launch where I am as it's a double lift!

If you see a green hulled Crabber, with flapping sails heading for the rocks, give me a wide berth cos I'm practising reefing or i've already fallen overboard. I'm off to buy some 'L' plates now and a big horn!!

Ru88ell

Visit site
Zephyr is sat on her trailer next to the house, and under about three inches of snow. I've got a stove housing to fit, along with new bulkhead panels, new fuse panel, new battery, new chart plotter and a new engine.

lustyd

Visit site
Zephyr is sat on her trailer next to the house, and under about three inches of snow. I've got a stove housing to fit, along with new bulkhead panels, new fuse panel, new battery, new chart plotter and a new engine.

Wasn't Zephyr a new boat? Seems like a lot of new stuff for a boat in such good condition!

ronmarson

Visit site
Seeing as how I have never sailed Ortac, have no idea where anything is and when I find it I won’t know how it works, and it has to be ant fouled, and the rudder refitted and all the other things one has to do even with a boat that is well known, I think I may also be in a bit of disorder for the cruise.
But I will be there.
Arriving Kemps 9/4/13. Launching 12/4/13 that gives me 10 days to ‘fix’ all the bits and find out just what I have bought.
Would you please sort the weather out in Southampton, it has been a pleasant spring so far in Galway, blue skies and very little rain, I am expecting the same when I arrive.
Capt.RoN

Ru88ell

Visit site
Wasn't Zephyr a new boat? Seems like a lot of new stuff for a boat in such good condition!

10 years old this October. I'm not replacing things other than battery and engine of same age. The rest is me adding stuff to make it more comfortable to spend longer aboard. A main example is the stove unit. If you remember I made a test piece last year - http://yachtzephyr.wordpress.com/2012/10/08/stove-project/ - I'm now fitting the final version.

lustyd

Visit site
Well, I'm ready for the trip now with my new custom made boom tent :) although I'm confident the weather will improve...
IMG_0456.JPG