Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Cruise - Spring 2013

Ru88ell

Visit site
I hope newbie attendees such as myself are not losing confidence in the rally. I presume the more detailed route planning points being discussed at present would have been made by now but with the unforeseen absence of the more experienced members on the rally has the seen the firming up of plans gone slightly wayward.

I am also hoping once we get to each port, (especially Lymington) route plans with more detail such as escape points etc can be finalized by the more experienced folk we may get from the larger numbers present. For my own peace of mind I am also taking advice from the older guys who organize the Drascombe Association rallies. Nothing like guys with 50+ years of experience each in these waters to give you confidence... You gain so much from people with local knowledge! Err as well as major hang-overs :rolleyes:

A few points, Chris...

It's not actually an organised rally, since we're not an organisation and there's no-one to take command. I'm only really collecting names and deposits for berthing; how people get there and back is their business. That said, sailing from point A to point B knowing that there are others around who you are in contact with can be very reassuring. That is the aim of the exercise, along with great socials in the evenings.

The other major factor is that we can't finalise our personal passage plans until we are sure what the weather is going to throw at us, and this will vary from boat to boat. What we did last year was get into a huddle at Yarmouth to discuss the weather as we saw it. It was left to each skipper to decide on a 'go' or 'no go'. I can't see anything in the weather to put me off - in fact I quite like what I see on Windguru and XC Weather as it looks reasonable for getting back too.

I would recommend being as prepared as you can be. Tag on to me beyond West Pole and on to Cowes. Then we'll have the advantage of being able to sit and discuss the coming day with LustyD and Chubby.

prv

Visit site
I presume the more detailed route planning points being discussed at present would have been made by now but with the unforeseen absence of the more experienced members on the rally has the seen the firming up of plans gone slightly wayward.

Not really - you need a weather forecast before you can make anything more than speculative plans, and even now the weekend is still a little far off for reliable predictions.

Pete

lustyd

Visit site
Sorry, guys, but in the words of Dragon's Den, "I'm out". :(

Have just run out of time getting Booby ready for her move from dry berthing to a new swinging mooring in mid-May.

Hope you all have a great time and I will be looking forward to hearing tales of daring-do, seeing dramatic vids & pics and sympathising with monumental hangovers!

Pete
Anti foul must be very confusing after all this time :) sorry to hear you guys aren't coming, we'll expect you back in next year!

lustyd

Visit site
I hope newbie attendees such as myself are not losing confidence in the rally. I presume the more detailed route planning points being discussed at present would have been made by now but with the unforeseen absence of the more experienced members on the rally has the seen the firming up of plans gone slightly wayward.

I am also hoping once we get to each port, (especially Lymington) route plans with more detail such as escape points etc can be finalized by the more experienced folk we may get from the larger numbers present. For my own peace of mind I am also taking advice from the older guys who organize the Drascombe Association rallies. Nothing like guys with 50+ years of experience each in these waters to give you confidence... You gain so much from people with local knowledge! Err as well as major hang-overs :rolleyes:
Sorry, just to clarify my suggestion was only a discussion point. We will indeed discuss at length the options each day with a much better short range forecast, and we will make sure everyone is comfortable to proceed. Last year the whole group decided against Poole due to weather but we still had a great few days. The original basis for this cruise was skippers with less experience and although some of us are more experienced I think that will remain the plan.

Zagato

Visit site
Sounds like a plan Lustyd ;)

Many thanks for this picture you e-mailed Ru88ell. Motored all the way back to give the engine a proper run and test for leaks.

photo2_zps2554dd15.jpg

Last edited:

Moonshining

picnicsintheharbour.blogspot.com
We're a doubt for the trip as of today. The first mate's bruised (or possibly cracked) a couple of ribs and isn't in any shape to do any rope pulling or the like at the moment. We'll know more in a day or two, but Thursday/Friday is possibly a bit soon to expect much in the way of recovery.

Ru88ell

Visit site
Thanks for the updates folks. I'll try to get the FINAL edit of the Spotter's Guide emailed out tomorrow. Failing that it will be on Wednesday morning. I'll heading down to my boat on Wednesday PM, so it has to be before then.

I'll also get the boat lengths to Berthon and Poole Quay so they can draw up berthing plans.

Paul_G

Visit site
Ru88ell

before you do the final, I too must withdraw. Boat only just back in but I could live with the jobs still to complete, however Ive been deserted by my crew.

Paul

Ru88ell

Visit site
Just to confirm where we are with numbers after a bout of cancellations, etc.

All confirmed.

Leaving Chichester Harbour on Thursday, staying in East Cowes, then heading off to Lymington on Friday:-
Ru88ell
Lustyd
Zagato

Joining small boat fleet in East Cowes on Thursday
Chubby
Chrissie

Pitching up at Lymington on Friday:-
PRV
Laundryman
Simondjuk
Newman
ronmarson

Already in Lymington:-
RadiumRob
Ohmaggie

Meeting us in Poole:-
Mudisox
Colhel - unless he can get to Lymington on Friday
boatingworld2004 - coming from Christchurch

Please shout up now if you're on the list and shouldn't be, or aren't on the list and feel you should be.

prv

Visit site
Thanks for the updates folks. I'll try to get the FINAL edit of the Spotter's Guide emailed out tomorrow.

Ta - can I add one more update to go with my picture? I currently list a "Nick (?)" among my crew - the question mark has proven prophetic and we will be sans Nick. Just me, Chris and Steph.

I know the fine details like this don't really matter - don't want this post to trigger first-timers into worrying about informing someone of every tiny change - but I like to be correct. Mostly it just helps one figure out who it was one was having that interesting conversation in the pub with :)

Apparently Colin has been reconnoitring the eateries of Poole already - I got a breakfast recommendation through this morning :)

Pete

Ru88ell

Visit site
Are we doing that 'getting to know you nibbles' thing in Poole and/or Lymington?

And don't forget your 'item' for Colin's raffle on Saturday night, wherever we end up.

stranded

Visit site
Photo

Tardy as ever I need to send a pic and the thought of trawling through 48 pages to find the email address...

Hope now to be in Lymington Friday evening - have I missed drinking plans or daren't we dare say publicly for fear of frightening off the locals?

Mark

PhillM

Visit site
Wishing everyone a safe and enjoyable trip.

We will be launching Paean tomorrow but post launch there is still a couple of weeks work to do before we are ready to go. My guess is that it will be mid to late May before we are fit for an overnight. Hope to catch up with some / all later in the season.

Laundryman

Live in Hemel Hempstead, Boat is in Haslar.
Visit site
I too have been deserted. Never mind. I shall sail single handed ( my first time in this boat ). I shall appreciate any offer to take my lines. In fact I will be calling on channel 8 so you'd better be listening. Gonna try for east Cowes thurs pm but will miss the tide so can't be definite. See you all in Lymington for sure. Thanks. Alan

Ru88ell

Visit site
I too have been deserted. Never mind. I shall sail single handed ( my first time in this boat ). I shall appreciate any offer to take my lines. In fact I will be calling on channel 8 so you'd better be listening. Gonna try for east Cowes thurs pm but will miss the tide so can't be definite. See you all in Lymington for sure. Thanks. Alan

We were hoping you would be first to arrive so we can all raft up on you. :p

prv

Visit site
Are we doing that 'getting to know you nibbles' thing in Poole and/or Lymington?

Like in Cherbourg? Seems a good idea. I'd suggest Lymington, as that's where most of us will be meeting up - and presumably having made arrangements all the boats will be together which I'm not sure is the case at Poole?

Will have to contact my chief cook and request he increase the crisps and nibbles stocks :)

Pete