Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Cruise - Spring 2013

Ru88ell

Visit site
Yes Andy, I'm back 'on scene' so will pick up with Berthon and Poole.

I might as well mention it now we've had arrangements confirmed, but Laura Nineham from IPC will be joining us in her professional capacity to record the events for YM and the website. She'll be travelling with Simondjuk and Helen.

Zagato

Visit site
Do you usually get a group discount? We should be able to especially with publicity from YM. The Drascombe Rallies are given discounts on their rallies by Chi marina. £30 a night starts to add up :eek:

Zagato

Visit site
Holly will have emailed the first draft of the Spotters Guide today. If you have recieved it then you are in it and if you have not, then I don't have your details.

For changes or to send a pciture, please email Holly or me (both emails were included)

For new submissions, please PM me with your email address and I will reply with mine.

Phill have pm'd a couple of times but not heard anything via pm or e-mail! Something probably amiss at my end I should think. Can send you my e-mail address again if you need it.

Seajet

Visit site
Russell,

I take it my services are dispensed with then and the organising is over to you.

Zagato,

it's tricky to organise a discount when one doesn't know how many boats will be along, and of what size.

My natural half Scottish intstinct is to rely on the free spots like South Deep and Wareham to make up for it, but please see your PM's :)

Andy

Last edited:

PhillM

Visit site
Ru88ell, nice to hear we have a “star” guest attending. Best make sure my varnish is in tip-top condition for the group pictures :)

Andy, nobody is dispensed with, we are a team. I (and I am sure Ru$$ell and everyone else here) very much appreciates you handling logistics and setting the date – somebody needed to show leadership and you have more then stood up to be counted. Thank you. Please continue to be a leading light. We need you. Trust me, with my other commitments I am not on top of things and we really do.

Ron, I will check that Holly has sent the right file on Wednesday, when she is back in. Today was manic in work and it could well be that she sent the wrong file my mistake. I didn’t get chance to check it or to even add my own details!

Zagato, sorry about the delays in replying to your PM’s. Did you get the file this time round?

All, FYI Holly is a part time student intern who works a couple of afternoons a week for me. Please check the entries that she has compiled and reply with amendments and pictures either to her or directly to me. We have been having a few problems with our email server and attachments. If your boat picture is missing, then we don’t have it. Holly will edit on Wednesday and this time I will make time to look over it before we send it out.

Finally, I am still committed to the trip but right now I would say it a 50/50 for me to actually make it to Poole. This year’s boat work has expanded beyond anything I had imagined. The bad news is that right now I have a hull, new engine in a shed (no engine bed), rig in a rack, no mainsail, no running rigging and a whole lot of jobs to do before launch. The good news is that once this winter’s jobs are done, that’s it – refit complete (Hurray). Currently, I hope to back in the water by mid April but I don’t know if I will get the engine sea trials completed and the boat (and me) to a stage to take on a 4 night trip. Best case I can see right now is to make Lymington for Friday night. But you never know .....

PhillM

Visit site
Ron, not taken as moaning, if you don't say what's wrong, I'd never know to get it fixed :)

Andy thanks for the offer, but if Paean isn't fully ready then I'll be wanting to press on and get her finished. It's too soon to say for sure what will happen. Fingers crossed it will all work out in the end.

Ru88ell

Visit site
Ron, not taken as moaning, if you don't say what's wrong, I'd never know to get it fixed :)

Andy thanks for the offer, but if Paean isn't fully ready then I'll be wanting to press on and get her finished. It's too soon to say for sure what will happen. Fingers crossed it will all work out in the end.

....and be careful with your back! ;)

Zagato

Visit site
Thanks Phill got Hollies Email and replied with a poor picture (can't download it to my antiquated XP word but no problem Andy can give me a copy!)

Your build sounds interesting, you ought to start a thread on the work but then that's just as much work as the real work.

Zagato

Visit site
Very helpful thanks lets hope it's that ridiculously calm on the day :eek: but with a nice Force 3 :D,

My last visit coming into the entrance was anything but in a little Drascombe open boat being smashed up against the side of a pontoon whilst trying not to heave. It broke my rubbing strake and I quickly went up river to recover and raft up on anchor with other rally members who were drinking white wine, coffee and tucking into a nice picnic. Would I like a glass of wine - no thanks. I turned my boat into a rib on the way back just happy to get the boat back out onto it's trailer and get it up for sale! 4.30am starts with no breakfast and the first trip out into open water on my own wasn't a good recipe for a sound stomach. I didn't eat that day and finally got home at 9.30 pm after the main lights on the car packed up so i had to tow the boat back up the A29 with full beam and sidelights only :rolleyes: I gave trailer sailing a rest after that and bought a bigger boat!

Really looking forward to this trip, glutton for punishment! I am going out in the boat the day before the rally for a gentle sail to get some sea legs, seemed to work for me OK last year...

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
I think 20 knots might cause some comment from the Harbourmaster, even spinnakers aren't allowed South of the chain ferry.

Like most marinas I find binoculars to spot the pontoon numbers an idea; I do miss the old set-up with visitors in the cove and the lovely lady in the cafe making breakfasts though.

Zagato, I'm very lucky not to get seasick, but do get severe anxiety sickness ( CVS ) on land or afloat, especially on early morning departures, the sound of the Radio 4 forecast makes me sick 40 miles inland !

I find for early morning set-offs a small strong, sweet coffee and maybe some shortbread works for me, I've always guessed the sugar keeps me going.

onesea

Visit site
I think 20 knots might cause some comment from the Harbourmaster, even spinnakers aren't allowed South of the chain ferry..

Cowes is easy enough, provided you remember the chain ferry... On my first visit after an urgent U turn me X wife's only comment was "Even I know there is a chain ferry!". Reminder t self just cause the chart shows blue or White do not mean you can go there :D:D:D

Probably not worth adding me to any list at moment but I and another occasional poster are watching this thread... Most likely might be Thursday night in Cowes and/ or Friday Lymington if that is acceptable...

Boat is an old 35' 3/4 tonner if I can come it will be a last minute thing...