Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Cruise - Spring 2013

Seajet

Visit site
Hi Russell,

when I spoke to Poole Quay again a couple of weeks ago the nice lady mentioned the other rally and I asked who they were, ' The Force 5 Club ' didn't enlighten me much, but she assured me there was plenty of room for all.

Andy

PhillM

Visit site
....and be careful with your back! ;)

I soo wish you had not said that. Guess what I did this morning!

Hopefully, this will be no more than a once a season problem and this year I can get it over and done with in good time for the trip. Mind you, I was going to be moving a new engine bed tomorrow and deck painting Saturday but that will have to wait for a few days.

Ru88ell

Visit site
I've spoken to Berthon today. They don't have a specific area for groups, but we should be able to cluster fairly close together if they are sure of who is coming / boat length / etc. To that end we agreed to collect a £5 deposit from each boat made payable to Berthon. If anyone turns up who isn't on the 'deposit paid' list they will not receive the same treatment.

I'll PM people my address for the cheques.

Ru88ell

Visit site
Thanks for payments so far; I've updated Post #1.

I've also removed those who've been good enough to let me know that they won't be attending.

stranded

Visit site
Not sure this'll up the luck quotient, but after getting so much great advice on here when buying Nooka it would be good to meet some of you in person so we'd really like to join this if we are allowed - 44 so a bit out of the size range, but rubbish sailors so probably slower than everyone else. Just one thing, are there going to be many other (female) partners, or skippers for that matter? We're based at Berthon so no need for a visitor berth Friday night. Pilot's on the boat so not sure of situation at Poole -we're 2m - but still be interested even if we have to make own arrangements. Mark

Ru88ell

Visit site
Not sure this'll up the luck quotient, but after getting so much great advice on here when buying Nooka it would be good to meet some of you in person so we'd really like to join this if we are allowed - 44 so a bit out of the size range, but rubbish sailors so probably slower than everyone else. Just one thing, are there going to be many other (female) partners, or skippers for that matter? We're based at Berthon so no need for a visitor berth Friday night. Pilot's on the boat so not sure of situation at Poole -we're 2m - but still be interested even if we have to make own arrangements. Mark

Hi Mark
There are a few of the female variety on the list already, so you should be fine. This is a social weekend designed to assist those who would like to venture beyond 'Lake Solent', but in company. We originally thought this would be small boats only and didn't realise that cruise ships would want to come.

I'll add you to the list.

Can you please contact PhillM by PM and arrange to furnish him with the necessary information needed for the Spotter's Guide?

lustyd

Visit site
Finally confirmed via PayPal so one more for the list. I will not be having a lady crew. Apparently I got the question "me or the boat?" wrong last year, although I do still have a boat!

Simondjuk

Visit site
It's not a male only escapde at all. Off the top of my head, I think there were eight or so ladies amongst last year's group. In perspective, possibly a third or so.

prv

Visit site
It's not a male only escapde at all. Off the top of my head, I think there were eight or so ladies amongst last year's group. In perspective, possibly a third or so.

+1

I think most boats were couples, Dave and I were singlehanded blokes, offset by Chrissie a singlehanded lady (unless you count Charlie the spaniel :) ), then finally Colin and his boat full of press-ganged crew, birthday cake, booze, stilton, more booze, and a bucket of wee :D

Pete

Seajet

Visit site
' birthday cake, booze, stilton, more booze, and a bucket of wee '

Well it's an unusual recipe outside France or Norfolk, but having seen ' Come Dine With Me ' It must be worth a go; good luck, now I'm possibly not quite so sorry I won't be there, but would have liked to be around with a camera !

onesea

Visit site
It must be worth a go; good luck, now I'm possibly not quite so sorry I won't be there, but would have liked to be around with a camera !

If people are still congregating on the Thursday in Cowes I may well attend (provided I get home in time), with or without another boat. SWMBO may or may not get the ferry over.

As for the weekend I cannot commit its my daughters birthday weekend (if she is with me) so it depends if she wants to go sailing or her 5th boat jumble (she is only 6 this year and has done 3 or 4 already)...

Any one planning on bringing Children?

Last edited:

stranded

Visit site
Great stuff - mine loves the sailing, but harbours the irrational fear that boaty blokes = endless conversations about arcane nautical trivia. I have pointed her to the forums in an effort to reassure her, but oddly this has not worked...

Zagato

Visit site
Mine is also thinking of coming now that she knows other partners will be present or more importantly other experienced sailors!!

Luckily the in-laws live in Chichester so we can drop the sprogs off and she can be picked up from Lymington or maybe even Poole :D

Last edited:

Ru88ell

Visit site
Remember to check Post #1 to see the latest position regarding who's confirmed and who's meeting us in Poole.